Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mozilla 0.9.2 slow loading

Mozilla 0.9.2 slow loading
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2001, 11:13 PM

I've been using Mozilla 0.9.2 since the day of its release (2 weeks?), and it's rock-steady with no crashes, and faster than any browser I've used (except for Opera - I'd use Opera primarily, if it had a mail program imbedded).

The ONLY complaint I have is its load time - it can take as long as 10-12 MINUTES to load! During this time, it appears that the harddrive is actively "reading," (as indicated by Norton's DiskLight), and short of a "force-quit" there is no way to interrupt it.

I don't have this problem with Netscape 4.78 or with Netscape 6.1p1 (which is behind Mozilla 0.9.2 at this point). Any ideas?

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2001, 02:07 AM

System config? Mozilla's load-time is downright spritely on my G4 733 as well as a G3 400.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2001, 08:21 PM

What do you have a 6100/66 or something?

Lots in about 4 seconds on my 400 MHz G3

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2001, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
<STRONG>What do you have a 6100/66 or something?

Lots in about 4 seconds on my 400 MHz G3</STRONG>
Hardly, bro - this happens using my Pismo 500 MHz with 1 GB ram in OS 9.1. I don't have ANY problems with any other app loading this slowly (including NS 4.78, IE 5, iCab, or Opera).

Anyone have any ideas?

iBorg

<Carmelus>
Jul 24, 2001, 04:57 AM

On my Wallstreet II G3/300/192/8G Mozilla 0.9.2 takes about 20 sec to start up. Perhaps you should trash some Mozilla cache files and/or preferences

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2001, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by iBorg:
<STRONG>Hardly, bro - this happens using my Pismo 500 MHz with 1 GB ram in OS 9.1. I don't have ANY problems with any other app loading this slowly (including NS 4.78, IE 5, iCab, or Opera).
iBorg</STRONG>
Did you follow the install directions to the letter? The Mozilla builds seem to be very finicky about having older builds cleared out completely. Try doing a full uninstall using the steps listed here. Of course make sure to save your cookies and bookmarks.

iBorg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Herr Newton:
<STRONG>

Did you follow the install directions to the letter? The Mozilla builds seem to be very finicky about having older builds cleared out completely. Try doing a full uninstall using the steps listed here. Of course make sure to save your cookies and bookmarks.</STRONG>
You bring up an EXCELLENT point about updating from a prior build of Mozilla, without which you generally cannot even get it to boot. And yes, I did wipe all traces of my previous version of Mozilla 0.9.1 before installing 0.9.2.

This does give me another thought: Although they don't seem to share any common files, could it be that I have NS 6.1p1 installed already? Maybe I'll try wiping both, and reinstalling Mozilla.

iBorg

ADDENDUM: That did it! NS 6.1p1 and Mozilla 0.9.2 apparently didn't play well together - I wiped them both, then reinstalled Mozilla, and voila! Load time now is 15-20 seconds!

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: iBorg ]

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2001, 08:18 PM

I have a huge IE Bookmarks that it insists on loading but it loads fast. Use to take a long time to open bookmarks the first time but that seems to have been improved. And doesn't crash on saving prefs the first tim. It is designed to have multiple versions and sub-directories but I find that messy and wish they would dispense with creating casscading user profile folders.

I use to monitor memory and found that 65MB seemed like a good minimum, VM off (turning on didn't seem to make much difference anyway). I now give it 90MB. Let it load all it wants into ram, create and use memory cache.

I would not use SpeedDisk but I would use something like Drive10 and Disk Warrior to check and see if there is (there must be!) something causing those long load times. Was it the presence of Netscape? I keep Netscape user directory in with the application rather than in the system folder prefs.

Greg

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2001, 10:22 PM

I have a feeling it will get faster. I would suspect that as it becomes a more stable product and hits 1.0, some of the debugging portions of the software will be removed, and we will see a speed improvement, especially when booting.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2001, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:
<STRONG>
ADDENDUM: That did it! NS 6.1p1 and Mozilla 0.9.2 apparently didn't play well together - I wiped them both, then reinstalled Mozilla, and voila! Load time now is 15-20 seconds!</STRONG>
And it should be apparent as to why: Netscape 6 is simply AOL/Netscape branded Mozilla. Mozilla really hates version overlap, hence the problem.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2001, 01:15 PM

It's a little more than branded. Netscape imbeds some features such as Instant messaging, and a spell checker... they also remove the IRC component. As a result they introduce lots of bugs.

Good bye netscape

Hello mozilla.

Forum Links
Forum Rules