Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mozilla OSX 0.9.6 - FAST and stable!

Mozilla OSX 0.9.6 - FAST and stable!
iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2001, 01:51 AM

Since switching over to OSX (with the release of 10.1), I've been using IE 5.1 exclusively, and have found it to be reasonably fast, and MUCH more stable and crash-resistant than the old IE 5 for OS 9, and better than the rest of the pack. But then I downloaded Mozilla 0.9.6 for OS X 2 days ago, and DAMN! This thing is MUCH faster than anything else I've used (including iCab, OmniWeb, Opera, and Netscape 6.2 - which is now TWO versions behing Mozilla development)! It's also MUCH faster than v. 0.9.5!

At first, I thought that internet traffic must be light, but when I tried IE again, the speed was about the same as before - Mozilla was just MUCH faster!

Can't wait for a "final version" of Mozilla, if this release is any indication of what's coming!

Now before posting the usual trail of monotonous drivel about how "Netscape sucks!", keep in mind that EVERYONE should want to have AT LEAST 2 capable browsers available, to keep some competition in the field, and keep M$ from owning everyone! Give this version a reasonable try before just trashing Mozilla 0.9.6, and post some evaluations, good or bad, OK?

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2001, 03:11 AM

I'm using 0.9.5 right now and it's really fast, so I think I will take your word for it and download the latest one.

I kinda liking Omniweb sp10 myself...

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2001, 09:58 AM

Okay, I just got it, and it is a bit faster than before. Sure fire winner here. I still give the nod to Omniweb when it comes to looks, though, but speed is a whole different story. This thing smokes.

BobK
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2001, 12:52 PM

Agree

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2001, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by iBorg:
<STRONG>
Can't wait for a "final version" of Mozilla, if this release is any indication of what's coming!
</STRONG>
Never will happen, Mozilla is constantly changing. 1.0 will come soon though.

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Nov 26, 2001, 11:10 PM

Confirmed. Mozilla is fast. I'm on a 500MHz G3 iMac.

(I love making it sound like I'm talking about something really important...like some kind of bug)

schmoe
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2001, 02:04 PM

Which release of mozilla are you guys running? I downloaded the OS X build and while rendering was very fast (faster than IE), the UI seemed extremely slow and not responsive. This is on a TiG4 667 with plenty of ram.

barbarian
Senior User
Nov 29, 2001, 03:51 PM

The problem with mozilla is that it is so ugly I can't stand to look at it for more than 5 minutes despite it's speed.

MrOutline
Nov 29, 2001, 07:19 PM

I've been using Mozilla in both 9.x and OSX and really like how it's progressed. It has speed for sure and it's getting a lot less buggy. I only wish there was an Aqua theme available.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: MrOutline ]

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: MrOutline ]

Sam I Am
Nov 29, 2001, 07:20 PM

Yeah I like the speed of Opera and Mozilla but I find that they are too clunky to use... maybe it will just take some getting used to but yeah. And what really bothers me is Opera won't let me use my scroll wheel... argh...

Thanks

DanMacMan
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2001, 09:40 PM

I am using .96 in OS9.21, everythings great but why doesnt the java plugin work?
One Nation under Steve.
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB RAM/6 GB/CD
iPod 20GB, 4th Gen
iPhone 8GB, 1.1.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules