Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 20 iMac locked into DiskWarrior cd reboots

20 iMac locked into DiskWarrior cd reboots
artlewis
Oct 12, 2009, 11:03 AM

I have a 20" iMac (stock) running 10.6.1 (about a week) with 2 partitions on the internal hd. After inserting the upgrade 4.0.2 DiskWarrior cd, I can't get the computer to boot into anything other than the cd (which I had made the startup disc for the 'repairs').
One other item that may be relevant is that when I wanted to start from the 'spare' partition, option boot never offered the chance to switch to the spare partition. I always had to go to preferences and choose the spare partition as the start up disc.
I've tried the option key, option key and N, safe boot, single-user mode, target mode, reseting NVRAM, and starting from a bootable external drive. No matter what I do, I still get the apple logo screen and then it boots from the cd.
It may also be relevant that DW would graph both partitions, but only rebuild the spare. On the 3 times I tried to rebuild the main partition, DW froze right after making the selection to rebuild.
Any suggestions other than the hammer next to me?

Cold Warrior
Oct 12, 2009, 11:10 AM

If you remove the CD can you boot from another option (internal, external drives)?

Hold down the mouse button at bootup until the CD ejects.

artlewis  (op)
Oct 12, 2009, 11:24 AM

I can't remove the cd and I don't see any paperclip-type option. The computer won't recognize any other disc - not the 2 internal partitions or the external drive. It just keeps booting from the DW disc (and I'm starting to hear the music from "Jaws".
I forgot to mention that I'd tried holding the mouse down on previous efforts. I just tried it again, but no luck.
Thanks for the help.

ibook_steve
Oct 12, 2009, 07:38 PM

Reboot holding down the option key to select your boot volume. You should be able to boot to the OS and then eject the DW disk.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules