Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook updates

iBook updates
Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 08:26 AM

I'm not the type to hold out on purchases in hope of revolutionary updates... BUT now I do wonder that what is up with the iBook? The latest speedbump was a few months ago?

I've got a chance of exchanging my iBook 500 for a new low end model. I still like the design of this machine and would not mind getting an updated version. However I do not need the speedbump immediately, so I could hold out for a few more months with this baby.

What do you guys think. Is there a new case, etc. coming out in the near future? The current design is two years old. How long did the first generation iBooks stay with the same case?

Opinions appreciated!

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 08:41 AM

This is what I'm interested in knowing too. I'm in the market for a new iBook, but I suppose I could wait till august if I really had to.

Anybody hear whispers of when new iBooks are supposed to be hitting the shelves?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 08:46 AM

The fact is, no one on here is going to know for sure. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that the PowerBooks will be updated next, followed by another modest iBook upgrade (to a 1Ghz G3).

Then again, there could be a complete revamp of the iBook line at MWNY, no one knows...

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 11:26 AM

I decided I'll go for the current model iBook since the design is solid and the prices of new models will probably be higher. I phoned around and came up with three choices:

- Previous gen high end (800MHz, COMBO, 30G, 32M Radeon)
- Current gen low-end (800MHz, CD, 30G, 32M Radeon)
- Previous gen low-end (700MHz, CD, 20G, 16M Radeon)

The price of the two 800 models are the same. I'm very tempted to get the previous generation 800 since it has the combodrive. From what I understand the differences in hardware are just that the new 800 has DDR RAM for the Radeon. I also hear the finish in the new models is different.

My other option is to get the old 700 MHz and use it as a stopgap machine if (and when) the new models arrive. The price of this machine is EUR 999 vs. the EUR 1299. 1 EUR equals roughly 1 USD.

Any opinions on the performance differences of the 700MHz and the 800MHz? Does the DDR Radeon make any difference (I don't play games)? Benchmarks?

And finally.. Which model would you choose?

Thanks again
( Last edited by Nerozwei; Jun 26, 2003 at 11:39 AM. )

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 11:26 AM

I thought MWNY was going to be Apple-less...? or something...?

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 11:38 AM

Oops. Anyway I just meant to add that I can survive without the combodrive. I've done my backups at home with my PC so far with this iBook 500.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 01:46 PM

I'd say go with the combo drive, especially if it's going to cost the same. You may not ever use it, but at the same cost there's no reason not to get it.

Sosa
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 01:54 PM

Well certanly go for the 800 mhz simply because it has the 32 meg video card! Unless you don't play video games at all that is ....

I have no idea when the iBooks will be updated next. You have to check the rumour sites to make an educated guess. If you can live with your current machine a while longer, wait until August then. There will be back to school specials you could take advantage of. Last year Amazon offered $100 off any laptop, so I paid $1399 for my iBook and I thought it was a great deal! Now for $1299 you get one a lot better than mine.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
Well certanly go for the 800 mhz simply because it has the 32 meg video card! Unless you don't play video games at all that is ....
I already decided to go with the 800 with the combo. 32MB VRAM could be good in the future, even though I'm not that into gaming. Who knows how much more work QE will still do? And I don't think the SDR vs DDR (new low-end 800) in QE will make a dramatic improvement..

Just have pick it up tomorrow and get some RAM in it... Too bad the 512 prices are ridiculous compared to the 256. EUR 39 vs EUR 135. I'll probably go for the 384. Seems to be the sweetspot at these prices.

Thanks for your opinions. Gotta love MacNN

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Nerozwei:
Just have pick it up tomorrow and get some RAM in it... Too bad the 512 prices are ridiculous compared to the 256. EUR 39 vs EUR 135. I'll probably go for the 384. Seems to be the sweetspot at these prices.
NEVER save on RAM! Get the 512 MB stick. 640 MB is a huge improvement over 384 MB.

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
NEVER save on RAM! Get the 512 MB stick. 640 MB is a huge improvement over 384 MB.
The price difference is just too huge. I refuse to pay $100 (give and take a few $$$) for an extra 256. Maybe I'm just stubborn, but that's me

Just to repeat the prices:

256MB - $39
512MB - $135
---------------
Difference $96

I'm using USD as EUR.

Forum Links
Forum Rules