Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.3 (Codenamed: Panther) Build 7B85

Mac OS X 10.3 (Codenamed: Panther) Build 7B85 (Page 6)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
Yes.
End user versions or just Server?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Is there an auto-pseudo-logout feature a la XP? ie. Is there a feature in Panther than automatically takes you to the login screen after a period of inactivity (leaving every program still running)?

This is one part of fast user switching in XP which I find very useful.

(Sorry if it's already mentioned in this thread, but I didn't want to sift through hundreds of messages.)
In the security tab you can turn it on. I don't know if it logs you totally out or if it leaves app running, give it a try.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

SoGood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:36 AM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=181110

My hypothesis isn't even meant to justify piracy. Given the fact that this seed wasn't even released to ADC, then by default, it has to come out of Apple directly or some other favoured 3rd party. In any case, the $500 for the ADC membership gets you many other different things than just the latest seeds. In any case, ADC member still get the seed early, way early and more dependably than some kiddie waiting on Hotline or Carracho.

As for the possibility of Apple introducing invasive licensing scheme. Well, MSFT's and XP's case just showed that piracy will happen irrespective how well you control your leaks. it will just happen. And any scheme will just cycle back and forth b/n the schemer and the code crackers. In any case, Apple is here to sell hardwares. They probably are less worried about their OS X return than propagation of Mac OS and in return for more HW sales. MSFT is stuck on CD sells, and that's as hard as it gets!
-- Good

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
In the security tab you can turn it on. I don't know if it logs you totally out or if it leaves app running, give it a try.
I just tried it and it popped up the dialog box telling me in 120 seconds, I would be logged out and my programs would be quit. I have fast user switching on, so apparently you can't have it leave programs running.

However, setting a required password after screen saver and sleep can simulate this functionality. You can switch users at the dialog box that comes up so it's like logging you out while leaving your apps open.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by SoGood:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=181110

My hypothesis isn't even meant to justify piracy. Given the fact that this seed wasn't even released to ADC, then by default, it has to come out of Apple directly or some other favoured 3rd party. In any case, the $500 for the ADC membership gets you many other different things than just the latest seeds. In any case, ADC member still get the seed early, way early and more dependably than some kiddie waiting on Hotline or Carracho.
However, historically, ADC members get the OS updates up to 2-3 WEEKS after they're available in the stores.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

SoGood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by starman:
However, historically, ADC members get the OS updates up to 2-3 WEEKS after they're available in the stores.
Excellent for this confirmation. One that totally destroyed one previous poster's argument. Thanks.
-- Good

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I just tried it and it popped up the dialog box telling me in 120 seconds, I would be logged out and my programs would be quit. I have fast user switching on, so apparently you can't have it leave programs running.
Yes that screen pops up, and it logs you out, and kills all your programs.

However, setting a required password after screen saver and sleep can simulate this functionality. You can switch users at the dialog box that comes up so it's like logging you out while leaving your apps open.
This doesn't work right either.

Let's say we have 2 users, Eug and Teh Steve�, and we have turned on the requirement for a password after waking from sleep. A number of things can happen.

1) If Teh Steve� is logged in and the computer goes to sleep, he can access his computer immediately after waking by typing in his password. All is well.

2) If Teh Steve� is logged in and the computer goes to sleep, but Eug wants to access his account, he can do so immediately after waking by switching users and logging in. However, when Teh Steve� wants to switch back from Eug's account he has to type in his password in the log-in screen to switch back to his account. Unfortunately, his account has still that sleep screensaver password requirement, and he has to log in yet again.

This is definitely not very elegant. Hate to say it, but XP still has Panthwire beat in this regard. Oh well, maybe with X.3.2 or something.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 8, 2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
Lots of people still use POP. I much prefer to have all my mail on my computer so that if my ISP isn't available for whatever reason (probably a throwback to having dialup), I can still read any recently new unread messages and reply to them.
hrm, but IMAP can do that too -- in fact using IMAP over dialup makes much more sense than using POP. Check it out:

http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~lroberts/IMAPPOPpap.html
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

e-cyras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
And there was no notice for Mac OS X 10.0 or 10.1.

Ahh, Deja vu: "If <4K78/5G64/6C115> is indeed GM then Apple better prepare for a rough ride..."
i have panther 7b85 installed and i don't think it's final!

on the sidetab (where the hds, cds... are) of a picture from the apple macosx site, the background is light blue:

that's not so in my build (7b85); there, the background is clear white!

greets ecyras

greener
Oct 8, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by e-cyras:

on the sidetab (where the hds, cds... are) of a picture from the apple macosx site, the background is light blue:

(image)

that's not so in my build (7b85); there, the background is clear white!

greets ecyras
I think that's an old screen shot.. or a composite.

7B85 is GM
free your mind
"There is no spoon" - Spoon Boy

HamSandwich
Oct 8, 2003, 02:56 PM

Just curious: Does anyone aroud have his IMAP-account installed? I did so and now my subfolders are not shown, they just aren't there. Suggestions, thoughts, ideas? I'm worried, heard that there was a similar bug back in Jaguar, but apparently, installing other mail accounts helped it, but even that didn't do the trick...

Steve

Peabo
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 03:24 PM

From Apple's pr images:

7B85

hmmm....look at the pictures icon
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by e-cyras:
7B85 is 10.3 final, GM, period.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
From Apple's pr images:

OMG, 7B85 MUST NOT BE GM!(*&!&*#*!$

Oh wait. It is.

Much of the marketing material was prepared loooong ago.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:27 PM

right, i'm not one for all this build number crap, but in the pictures from Apple's site, the finder has the sidebar with a different backgroudn colour than the the remainder of the window. Now, I've got 7b85 here, and it looks different to what Apple ar eshowing, what;s the deal folkaroos?
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Peabo
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 03:28 PM

OMG, 7B85 MUST NOT BE GM!(*&!&*#*!$

Oh wait. It is.
why are the icons different?
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
right, i'm not one for all this build number crap, but in the pictures from Apple's site, the finder has the sidebar with a different backgroudn colour than the the remainder of the window. Now, I've got 7b85 here, and it looks different to what Apple ar eshowing, what;s the deal folkaroos?
No deal. 7B85 is GM. If you can't accept that, wait until you get the retail boxed copy that I know you're buying on the 24th.

tikki
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:29 PM

From Apple's pr images:

7B85

Mine looks exactly like Apple's pr images, so I dunno what to tell you.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:30 PM

why are the icons different?
Things like marketing materials and screenshots were done weeks ago.

We went through this with 10.1 and 10.2.

And who cares why they're different? It doesn't change the fact that 7B85 is what will be in the boxes on the 24th.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2003, 03:32 PM

aye carumba......
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite

No deal. 7B85 is GM. If you can't accept that, wait until you get the retail boxed copy that I know you're buying on the 24th.
Hey, I know, I don't mind, just curious, cause I like that new look, the double colours in the windows.

P.s. Already ordered my family pack client version ,and server happy days

Peabo
Senior User

well some other guy said his icons are the same as the ones from apple pr page. Mine aren't but i did a clean install of 7b85. What are your icons like?

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by SoGood:
Excellent for this confirmation. One that totally destroyed one previous poster's argument. Thanks.
Well, that's why I'm buying it. I mean, I could wait the 2 weeks, but I DON'T WANT TO! As a developer, and someone who paid Apple $500, why the f--k do I ALWAYS have to wait for the retail CDs to get to me?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

tikki
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:35 PM

Before someone starts doubting me, I will just post this.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:38 PM

well some other guy said his icons are the same as the ones from apple pr page. Mine aren't but i did a clean install of 7b85. What are your icons like?
Mine look like 7b85, and not the PR shots.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:47 PM

7B85 is 10.3 final, GM, period.
I just got a D�ja Vu

Oh wait! that means they have changed the system

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
D�ja Vu

Just as long as the fcuker works when it comes out, i'll be happy.

Peabo
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 03:54 PM

Some more comparisons. Look at the traffic lights widgets:

7B85:

Apple's PR image:

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 04:10 PM

I don't think the Apple widgets look as glassy as the 7B85. Sometimes I wonder what the hell Apple is thinking..

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:16 PM

I like the new glassy widgets from the PR shot, also they appear to be close to the edge too, much better. maybe this is from the next update, the 7c** ones.

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:26 PM

The widgets look more like the ones found in SmoothStripes now. I'm guessing that either it's just a messed up picture, or they've done some minor UI tweaking. Either way, I think it's a subtle, and nice, change. Hopefully they've tweaked the progress bars too.

Macbear
Oct 8, 2003, 04:28 PM

I think the difference in the shots is merely a bit of Photoshop retouching for the Apple PR pictures. They want the stuff they show off on the web and in print to look extra colorful and glossy. I don't think this is enough to suddenly say 7B85 is or isn't the GM.

I know it's common practice to make any PR image just "that much more perfect" before sending it out. At least in any of my agency dealings.

To me, it looks like the PR images just have the color saturation bumped up a bit.

Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
I just got a D�ja Vu

No, they haven't.

7B85, as-is, is 10.3 GM.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:35 PM

maybe this is from the next update, the 7c** ones.
Nope.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2003, 04:39 PM

Why do people care so much? I believe 7B85 is the GM, but even if it isn't, who the frig cares? It doesn't make 7B85 any less good. It's not perfect, but it's certainly ready for prime time.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:40 PM

zone81, those widgets are powerfully ugly...

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Why do people care so much? I believe 7B85 is the GM, but even if it isn't, who the frig cares? It doesn't make 7B85 any less good. It's not perfect, but it's certainly ready for prime time.
You're right. I'm not going to argue with these f*ckers for the next two weeks. If they want to believe that some secret magical build exists - just like what happened with 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 - and that it's all because of OLD marketing images on the web site, let them.

The same people, over and over and over, just can't get it through their heads. Oh well; they should prepare for disappointment when 7B85 is what's in the box on the 24th. Meanwhile, all other normal, sensible people will be enjoying a great release of Panther.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:45 PM

Nope.
Well, I'm on to making new widgets based on those ones in the PR shots, nice one Apple

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:48 PM

You're right. I'm not going to argue with these f*ckers for the next two weeks. If they want to believe that some secret magical build exists - just like what happened with 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 - and that it's all because of OLD marketing images on the web site, let them.

The same people, over and over and over, just can't get it through their heads. Oh well; they should prepare for disappointment when 7B85 is what's in the box on the 24th. Meanwhile, all other normal, sensible people will be enjoying a great release of Panther.
Wow, harsh language mate. I couldn't care about builds or what not, I haven't even participated in these threads on the topic until now, but based on a visual from Apple's site which got me wondering about what all YOU people were talking about, builds and crap like that.

So take a breather, and chill the drill, cause I'm not the computer jockey that does all this (anal)ysing like you seem to do.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 05:10 PM

So take a breather, and chill the drill, cause I'm not the computer jockey that does all this (anal)ysing like you seem to do.
I'm not analyzing anything. I am stating facts, as I have done since Mac OS X 10.0 (4K78).

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 05:20 PM

I'm not analyzing anything. I am stating facts, as I have done since Mac OS X 10.0 (4K78).
i can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not questioning your facts, or anything else. I just made one observation that on Apple's site they had some nice looking stuff going on in the Panther Finder ala the different coloured BG, and the icons, and was only wondering if this will be in the retail version. I made this comment solely based on the fact that I couldn't resist trying out Panther this week (7B85) and saw the difference.
I'm none too fussed about what gets into what, so long as it comes out, and works, that's all.
Come join us for a drink, me and the guys in the Donnie Darko thread are hanging out later.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 01:16 AM

Does anyone have keyboard issues/ Did any earlier builds have that problem/ ie: shift and option keys are messed up.

LochNess
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 01:29 AM

You're right. I'm not going to argue with these f*ckers for the next two weeks.
Then why do you continue to do it?

This whole thing is tiresome, and you are contributing to it.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 02:15 AM

What are you trying to prove, you want a big "you were right" badge in the end?

Go out and have a beer and quit repeating "7B85 is the GM". We heard you the first 123 times.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
You can also just select 'Login Window...' from the Switch User Menu, and that returns you to the login screen, without loging your out.

It would be nice if the 'Auto log-out' function actually just returned you to the login screen - but only when multiple user log-in is activated.

e-cyras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 03:47 AM

but apples pr image looks better then 7b85!!

And then this (from macrumors.com):

Pulled Panther Feature? 'Home on iPod'
One reader (johnpg) notes a previously unadvertised feature of Panther which was detailed on Apple's Mac OS X mobility page called "Home on iPod". (the description has since been removed)

Home away from home

Ever thought you could carry your home in the palm of your hands or in your pocket? You can. Panther's Home on iPod feature lets you store your home directory � files, folders, apps � on your iPod (or any FireWire hard drive) and take it with you wherever you go. When you find yourself near a Panther-equipped Mac, just plug in the iPod, log in, and you�re �home,� no matter where you happen to be. And when you return to your home computer, you can synchronize any changes you�ve made to your files by using File Sync, which automatically updates offline changes to your home directory.

While this feature is reportedly not in the latest version of Panther (build 7B85), it was first mentioned in this eWeek article in April which provided some of the first hints of Panther. According to eWeek's sources at that time, "one proposed feature will let users take home directories they've saved on peripherals and networks and use them for file access or securely log into a Mac running Panther."

so - 7b85 isn't the real golden master! apple is not so bad...! who cares; only wait 2 weeks and then we can go get it...

greets ecyras

e-cyras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 05:29 AM

here is a picture of the feature; on apples site!!! :

i'm now 100% sure that 7b85 isn't golden master!

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 05:30 AM

That doesn't mean it's not the real golden master at all. That just means that Home on iPod has been removed from the final version.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 05:43 AM

greaaat, apple just took out one feature i liked, weeeeeee
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 05:47 AM

Not to be picky, but why are they advertising features that aren't there? Seems a tad unfair.

Forum Links
Forum Rules