Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Losing 100 lbs

Losing 100 lbs
macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2004, 02:48 PM

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...8518108.htm?1c

Other linkage:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&lr...al/8518108.htm

I just thought this was a rather refreshing article on somebody with what's sadly a unique perspective on weight loss. It's one I've been raised with (and so far has helped me to keep the weight off, despite many I know gaining quite a bit over the past few years).

Anyway... I'm just curious what others think. I thought it was rather open of him to discuss this in the wave of Atkins, and fad diets. Hope perhaps after his term expires perhaps he'll write a book on his experience. I'm curious of the details on how exactly he got from pt. A to point B. Obviously he cleaned up his lifestyle from excercise to diet... but the transition is what interests me. Cold turkey? Gradual?

I think he's got a good shot. I've always noticed people who loose weight on fad diets put it back... already seeing this with Atkins. Seems people who actually have healthy lifestyles tend to do good.

Just curious what others think.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2004, 04:47 PM

I didn't read any of your links, or your post even. I just wanted to congratulate you on spelling "losing" correctly. Good job

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2004, 04:57 PM

your 1st link needs registration �

Anyway, a year ago about this time.. I APU, resolved to lose weight and get back to my healthy assed sexy self of my past. I started a thread too and you bastards helped me start in fact with some tips and motivation.

I dropped about 40Ibs. I was 150 and am now 110. (i look fine at 120-125 but i am purposely trying to achieve the skinny geek look)

I do not owe it to any f*cking diet. I owe it to a complete lifestyle change. In years past I was drinking a lot and just trying to bust my ass to graduate college. Not paying attention to health and trying to do well as well as try to grow up.

I started eating healthy and more natural. Portion control and calorie consciousness comes into the picture. But most of all, EXERCISE. I ran a Half Marathon yesterday in 2:45 minutes (My first and am very proud of my slow finish).

My advice to anybody is, do not go on a diet. Change your lifestyle.

(I still drink and do eat bad stuff (chris_h's mom), but the difference is it is controlled and I pay the consequences. i work out consistently and know to avoid some foods at all costs.)

Algernnon
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 05:03 PM

I have always been of the opinion that diets are for people that are either lazy, or want to lose weight quickly, which never works well. You may lose some weight, but without lifestyle changes, you cannot keep it off. You can't live on the Atkins, or any other fad diet forever.

I'm with stupid
---->

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
(I still drink and do eat bad stuff (chris_h's mom), but the difference is it is controlled and I pay the consequences.
What do you do to chris_h's mom?

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
What do you do to chris_h's mom?
guilty pleasure.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Ratm
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
I've always noticed people who loose weight on fad diets put it back... already seeing this with Atkins. Seems people who actually have healthy lifestyles tend to do good.

Didn't read the article (sleepy right now). The Atkins system is about limiting the amount of sugars and carbs per day, this doesn't seem like a quick fix or scheme to me but one that's actually sensible. People consume ungodly amounts of white flour and refine sugars in almost every piece of food they eat. By simply lowering the daily amount ( not eliminating it ) your body automatically begins to burn the extra deposits of fat that its stored and as a result you lose weight. I've used this system for two years now, along with moderate exercise (body for life program) and have managed to keep the weight off. It's a f**king breeze compared what I had to endure before to try and drop a couple of pounds. I wasn't over weight, I just couldn't lose those last few pounds around my waist... it drove me nuts!... nuts I tells ya!!.

Anglo Americans and Europeans have an awful dietary system that consist mainly of beef, poultry, pastas, rice, potatoes and a limited selection of vegetables and seafood. And if you think I'm exaggerating, ask your grandfather or better yet your father/Mother the kinds of foods that dominated the dinner table when they were growing up. It's not difficult to understand why people are still dealing with these issues today. But we can begin to see the influences of many different cultures that are starting to change all that and not a second too late, considering that fifty percent of North Americas population are over weight.

These "fads" help you to slowly make changes to your lifestyle (?); it's only a starting point
the rest is up to the individual. As for myself I'm preparing to take it to the next level (next level(?) YEA MAN!!! )

/*me go to sleep now
( Last edited by Ratm; Apr 25, 2004 at 05:58 PM. )

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2004, 05:55 PM

I do not owe it to any f*cking diet. I owe it to a complete lifestyle change. In years past I was drinking a lot and just trying to bust my ass to graduate college. Not paying attention to health and trying to do well as well as try to grow up.

I started eating healthy and more natural. Portion control and calorie consciousness comes into the picture. But most of all, EXERCISE. I ran a Half Marathon yesterday in 2:45 minutes (My first and am very proud of my slow finish).

My advice to anybody is, do not go on a diet. Change your lifestyle.

(I still drink and do eat bad stuff (chris_h's mom), but the difference is it is controlled and I pay the consequences. i work out consistently and know to avoid some foods at all costs.)
Yep. I still eat ice cream (and enjoy it). But I also hit the treadmill before hand. Also enjoy my pasta. But again, I workout so I can have it.

I've found it to be easier to eat more small meals, than blow it all on 1 meal. Just my personal feeling. I perfer a smaller breakfast, then a large lunch... feel good all day, then eat a sandwich in the evening. I eat 1 large meal, and 2 small ones. But don't feel hungry at all. Perhaps a snack later.

Also do my best to at least go for a walk when I can.

These diets are rediculus. The funny thing about Atkins is how people treat it... Dr. Atkins diet consists of cutting carbs... but the intention was to move towards vegies... not increase meat intake very much. As a result, people are having way to much fat. You don't have to be overweight to have your arteries clog. Many people now are having their Gall Bladder problems because of the fat intake. A wonderful thing to have before your 40 .

I've got the added benefit of Acid Reflux. Empty stomach hurts much more with a condition like that... and I'm on quite intensive medication. Far more than most, even a year later... but just altering how you eat, and excercise can help... loosing some weight and working out helped it quite a bit. Hoping to cut down on some of the medication in a month or so (at least attempt).

My father lost about 10 lbs in the past month. Already his cholesterol and blood preasure is decreasing a bit. It's quite amazing what working out and cutting down on food does.

I refuse to buy into Fad Diets. I think there's enough evidence, and enough respected doctors saying they aren't worth it now.

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2004, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Ratm:
Anglo Americans and Europeans have an awful dietary system that consist mainly of beef, poultry, pastas, rice, potatoes and a limited selection of vegetables and seafood. And if you think I'm exaggerating, ask your grandfather or better yet your father/Mother the kinds of foods that dominated the dinner table when they were growing up. It's not difficult to understand why people are still dealing with these issues today. But we can begin to see the influences of many different cultures that are starting to change all that and not a second too late, considering that fifty percent of North Americas population are over weight.
Very true.

there was a very interesting study released a few months ago about how in Asia, there are several communities with large very old populations (90+). The reason why doctors attribute people there to living so long is simply the diet, and excercise. They don't have cars for everything, so they walk quite a bit in the village. Lots of excercise washing clothes, and everyday tasks.

And their diet is mainly fish, chicken, vegies, and a small/moderate amount of grain.

Fish generally is very lean compared to other meats. So is chicken (provided you don't eat the skin).

They spent their entire life working out just to survive, and they have been eating in moderation very healthy. It's as simple as that.

They attribute not to genetics, but simply lifestyle (and of course some luck is involved with living to 90). They spent their entire life eating very well. And even at 90, are active, productive, and still doing it.

Americans in particular are getting rediculus. Sitting idle, and eating more. Europe is catching up. Each time I visit, I see some more overweight people than the last time. Ironically, I'm also seeing more resturaunts, and pubs with outdoor seating (not sure what came first, the fat people, or easy access to food). Interesting how a town with a few places with several seats now has a dozen places with many more seats. And a lot more fat people. I don't think they can blame it all on McDonalds as I hear. Because their own have evolved to replicate our lazy lifestyles. It's not all McDonalds.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
These diets are rediculus. The funny thing about Atkins is how people treat it... Dr. Atkins diet consists of cutting carbs... but the intention was to move towards vegies... not increase meat intake very much.
This would point to the individual and not Atkins. I don't eat beef and don't miss it at all (yay for me).

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 06:30 PM

I decided to change my lifestyle.

First I started acting like a sucessful person.. then I went jogging every morning on the waterfront for an hour, listening to loud preppy music, then I proceeded to annoy the F out of everyone by lecturing how they could get rid of their 'serious obesity' to someone that was 10lbs overweight while I was eating my lettuce.

The best part I found was going to the bathroom and sticking my finger in my throat.. wait I wasn't supposed to say that was I.
Aloha

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 07:09 PM

You can graph the increased consumption of carbohydrates in the United States historically, and the also graph the average weight per person....and they are both going up together.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/releases/04news/calorie.htm

interestingly consumption of calories from FAT since 1971 has DECREASED....while Americans have gotten fatter.

Some people don't like the Atkins Diet for political reasons, but you can't ignore the damage excess carbohydrate consuption has caused to the American average weight.

Extreme obesity is common now in the United States and as noted earlier in this forum, it is also increasing rapidly in Europe.

The historical explosion in consumption of calories from carbohydrates in the American diet is indeed a crisis.... so get to a gym... jog....put down that bread..and get healthy!

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 07:12 PM

I think 10 years from now things will be like this:

Buying candy will be like buying cigarettes, and buying soda will be like buying beer.. activists will sue stores who put candy ads in the stores.

Being fat will be considered as bad a thing as smoking. If you're a lardass and happen to be standing outside relaxing, someone might scold you because they can't stand the sight of fat people.

Restaraunts will ban fat people from coming in because they're disgusting.

etc. etc etc.
Aloha

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2004, 07:17 PM

Congratulations to Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee on losing 100 lbs. Good health and lifestyle is a great motivator.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 07:46 PM

I'm on Atkins right now and have lost 30 pounds so far. It has been very easy. Hard to believe how quickly my clothes starting feeling too big.

One thing to note, though, is Dr. Atkins didn't want his way of eating to be a 'diet' but rather a way of life. Going back to your old ways of eating tons of carbs for every meal after you've lost the weight you wanted to is contrary to his message.

I've added a little red meat to my diet, but not much more than I was eating. I have added alot of chicken though. Try to eat salmon about once every 2 weeks too.

As far as diets go, my feeling is to each his own. Whatever works. I graduated high school at around 180lbs. Gained the 'freshman 15' my first year of college, and over the next 10 years managed to get up to 255lbs. I'm back to 225lbs and loving it. My goal is 200. I don't think it's realistic to get to my high school weight but if I do, great.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Ratm:
Anglo Americans and Europeans have an awful dietary system that consist mainly of beef, poultry, pastas, rice, potatoes and a limited selection of vegetables and seafood.
Eating too much of anything will usually make you fat, and Americans have too much of everything.

Anglo-Americans don't have a monopoly on obesity, however:

http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfact...rity_Pop.shtml

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2004, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
I'm on Atkins right now and have lost 30 pounds so far. It has been very easy.
I have no problem if somebody follows a "diet" permanently. Then that constitutes a full lifestyle change IMO. (In addition realizing that changing yourself is not just what you eat, but when you sleep, your outlook on life, your economic situation, and whatever other issues a person needs to reverse for the better)

Atkins to me is not an outrageous concept. I would modify it so that I would allow myself some more carbs and balance that out with cardio exercise regularly.

Exercise in general is great for keeping weight off too. Muscle uses more energy to maintain than flab and is a great motivator.

Gankdawg � Congrats on dropping the weight. If you don't exercise... I suggest you do so and you'll be at 200 in no time.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 08:19 PM

exercise is a good motivation. Running is fun

I've never felt I've had a problem with my sleep though, I sleep as much as I need it and tend to be more than satisfied with it
Aloha

itomato
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 08:52 PM

Don't eat crap. Eat whole, minimally processed food - and less of it. Remember what kind of hell you feel like when you eat garbage, and relive it when you think about going to any sort of buffet restaurant.
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2004, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by itomato:
Don't eat crap. Eat whole, minimally processed food - and less of it. Remember what kind of hell you feel like when you eat garbage, and relive it when you think about going to any sort of buffet restaurant.
I still do that every so often.

But in moderation.

It's still fun. And I do enjoy it... but I don't over-eat either.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 09:23 PM

I have no problem if somebody follows a "diet" permanently. Then that constitutes a full lifestyle change IMO. (In addition realizing that changing yourself is not just what you eat, but when you sleep, your outlook on life, your economic situation, and whatever other issues a person needs to reverse for the better)
You hit the nail on the head.

Gankdawg � Congrats on dropping the weight. If you don't exercise... I suggest you do so and you'll be at 200 in no time.
Thanks.....you are correct about exercising. I need to find a way to incorporate it.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Link:
exercise is a good motivation. Running is fun

I've never felt I've had a problem with my sleep though, I sleep as much as I need it and tend to be more than satisfied with it
I agree with all of those sentiments. Excercise often and you sleep like a baby. Plus you can eat all you want and it tastes better!

Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 09:45 PM

You guys probably know a good deal about eating healthy.

So here is my question, how do I gain weight?? I am 183 cm (6 feet), and 61.2 kg (135 pounds), and male (guy). Obviously a skinny underweight stick figure. I do a lot of exercise simply because I love it.. Kendo 3 times a week, biking, running.. ya.

My problem I think though is that I don't eat right.

What is a healthy diet for someone trying to gain some muscle and weight? I doubt I should be eating really fatty foods.. and what about working out? Most of the things I do are very much endurance building.

I'd love to weigh 70 kg (150 pounds).

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 10:24 PM

I modified my diet about a year ago - mainly breakfast became an espresso and a piece of fruit. Lunch and dinner stayed normal. 1 glass of fruit juice per day and NO SODA!

awcopus
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
You guys probably know a good deal about eating healthy.

So here is my question, how do I gain weight?? I am 183 cm (6 feet), and 61.2 kg (135 pounds), and male (guy). Obviously a skinny underweight stick figure. I do a lot of exercise simply because I love it.. Kendo 3 times a week, biking, running.. ya.

My problem I think though is that I don't eat right.

What is a healthy diet for someone trying to gain some muscle and weight? I doubt I should be eating really fatty foods.. and what about working out? Most of the things I do are very much endurance building.

I'd love to weigh 70 kg (150 pounds).
Increase your protein intake (an extra can of Bumblebee Chunk Salmon and Tuna at lunch, for example) and add the following exercises to your regimen: Pushups (starting with your hands wide and moving them closer with subsequent sets) and Squats (with or without weight, focus on form and taking your time). Do both of these exercises to the point of fatique every other day and keep doing the aerobic conditioning stuff and increase protein intake. You'll gain muscle strength appreciably within a few weeks. Consider this warming up your body for gaining muscle weight.

Muscles really build with low repetitions at high weights. Low reps (8) for three sets minimum, and you should REALLY struggle to get those last few reps. How do you know what you should be lifting on a bench press or for squats? If you're a member of a gym, use their machines to determine safely what kind of weight you can lift eight times and really have to exert yourself.

I'm going the other way. I've lost ten pounds and have twenty to go. Wasn't in very bad shape, just too muscular. Now I'm doing lots of toning and sculpting exercises (low weight, 12-15 repetitions, 5 sets) and doing aerobic exercise six days a week, forty minutes per session. Becoming a lean, mean, running machine.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2004, 02:51 AM

I'm really tubby right now. But that's only cuz I let myself go during school. When I'm actually exercising instead of sittin in front of my computer I can lose 40 pounds in a couple months.

You don't need any special diets or anything. For $1,000,000 I'll share my secrets in 5 easy steps:

1) Completely ignore the Food Pyramid, it was created to sell food not make you healthy. You don't need to diet, just eat sensibly. See step 2.
2) Don't eat fast-food more than twice a week if you can avoid it and avoid too much soda.
3) Eat a well rounded diet. Ample portions from each food group. Chicken/pork chops/steak, potato with fixins, and some veggies are good combo. You don't have to give up pasta for gods' sake, f*ck Atkins. Candy and icecream are NOT food groups. See step 1.
4) Eat SLOWLY. You'll fill up on less food and be satisfied. When you eat too fast it stretches your stomach and you overeat.
5) And most importantly, EXCERCISE!!! At the very least 20 minutes each day, preferably 1 hour. Rotate between cardiovascular and weight training.

Now pay up.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2004, 11:21 AM

The main issue is time. There are few healthy/tasty combinations that can be made quickly. I am probably 20 lbs. overweight and attribute much of it to lack of exercise and poor diet.

I'm not moving around at all during the work day, then get home to eat, clean, and watch a TV show and then it's bed time...

One reason the US has such an issue with it is probably that we work longer hours then the rest of the world.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
The main issue is time. There are few healthy/tasty combinations that can be made quickly. I am probably 20 lbs. overweight and attribute much of it to lack of exercise and poor diet.

I'm not moving around at all during the work day, then get home to eat, clean, and watch a TV show and then it's bed time...

One reason the US has such an issue with it is probably that we work longer hours then the rest of the world.
This is true. When I had a full time job, I gained the weight that I'm losing now as a self-employed entrepreneur. By the same token, I'm working longer hours now than I ever did, but it doesn't feel like I am because I'm on my own schedule: workout between 8 AM and 10 AM, start my workday by 11AM, take lunch at my desk around 2:30, work, stop working and have dinner/social life post 7PM.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 26, 2004, 12:11 PM

Yes, NO SODA is a very good idea...

-Owl

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by itomato:
well said. My wife and I have collectively lost 100 lbs since september. She found out she's diabetic and we took it upon ourselves to change our whole lifestyle. We do not do "diets". But we cut out nearly all of the heavily processed foods and foods that spike her blood sugar. Do we still eat bread? you bet. But not white bread. Do we still use sugar in our coffee? you bet. But not the bags of cane sugar you get in the market - we get granulated fructose. Vegetables have become our staple and lean meat is the side dish.

In our research, we also discovered what trans-fatty acids are and have completely eliminated them from our diet. I've heard a stick of margarine referred to as a "cancer stick" and now I know why.

We also added exercise.

good for the mayor in losing his weight the healthy way and FOR his health.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2004, 12:42 PM

We can put a man on the moon, but we can't create healthy snacks that don't taste like S@#$

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 12:47 PM

Why do we have to "create" a snack? Why not eat what's grown naturally?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
We can put a man on the moon, but we can't create healthy snacks that don't taste like S@#$
???

You mean like apples, oranges, strawberries, kiwis, peaches, pears and grapes?

Maybe you should redefine what you consider a snack instead of besmirching the name of healthy snacking.
snappy

awcopus
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
???

You mean like apples, oranges, strawberries, kiwis, peaches, pears and grapes?

Maybe you should redefine what you consider a snack instead of besmirching the name of healthy snacking.
Low-cal snack that I love: graham crackers with strawberries, blueberries, bananas and fat=free whipped cream. Yummilicious.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 08:51 PM

Here is the formula to loss weight:

EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Here is the formula to loss weight:

EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!

It's not that simple at all for most people. You've either never been there, or that simple action worked for you. I'm an athlete. And it wasn't until I found out how to eat healthy that I was able to lose 50 lbs. Exercise alone did nothing for my weight. And before you comment on the type of exercise, my version of exercise is 2 hours of intense racquetball 4 days a week.

I WAS 50 lbs overweight and I'm tired of people who think all someone has to do to lose weight is "put down the fork" or "get some exercise".

The US (and other countries soon to follow - UK) are in a near crisis about weight. It is seriously because of prevalence and cheap cost of crap food like McD and "junk food". People don't understand that it's not healthy, and I don't want to hear any BS about McD's having salads on their menu. That's like saying Ford does good with their average gas mileage becuase they have the Geo Metro (but sell many more Lincoln Navigators).

Forum Links
Forum Rules