Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > cannot get rid of thin white line between table cells!

cannot get rid of thin white line between table cells!
englandmademe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 06:27 AM

Hi

I'm using Dreamweaver MX on a Mac and have developed a site for a client which renders fine on my mac, but on a PC using Windows 98, and XP some pages have a very thin white line between some table cells. I am pulling my hair out to understand why this is happening. I've checked the code endlessly but cannot figure this one out.

To make things worse some pages don't suffer from this problem, while some do.
If someone could help me with this I'd be very appreciative. See the URL below for link to the site in development. The gap is at the top of the index page and others just to the left of the words 'BrightWater'.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.parallaxstudios.co.uk/brightwater/website

Zim
Senior User
Apr 28, 2004, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by englandmademe:
Hi

I'm using Dreamweaver MX on a Mac and have developed a site for a client which renders fine on my mac, but on a PC using Windows 98, and XP some pages have a very thin white line between some table cells. I am pulling my hair out to understand why this is happening. I've checked the code endlessly but cannot figure this one out.

To make things worse some pages don't suffer from this problem, while some do.
If someone could help me with this I'd be very appreciative. See the URL below for link to the site in development. The gap is at the top of the index page and others just to the left of the words 'BrightWater'.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.parallaxstudios.co.uk/brightwater/website
I found that I had to use

table {
border-collapse: collapse;
border-spacing: 0px;
}

which seems a little much, and not quite happy with the results.

Mike

englandmademe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Zim:
I found that I had to use

table {
border-collapse: collapse;
border-spacing: 0px;
}

which seems a little much, and not quite happy with the results.

Mike

Thanks for the reply. I tried adding this code but it didn't seem to change anything!?

Did you also notice a slight 'kink' in the main nav bar just before the 'property for rent' button. Again this doesn't appear on the Mac. Do you have any idea why this might be happening..?

Thanks again.
Paul

DUNSEL
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 09:56 AM

Yeah, it's only in IE. Opera and Moz are fine. Can you post the style rules for the problem?
I saw a woman with a sweatshirt that said "Guess", so I said, "Implants?"

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 10:29 AM

There's an "old ninja stealth trick called 'view-source'", which points to http://www.parallaxstudios.co.uk/bri...rightwater.css

You can have a look at his style rules there mate.

p.s. englandmademe - do you really need to use an image swap to make the text in the nav bar go red? How about actually using text and using a:hover? Or are you being kind to our badly anti-aliased text friends on the wintel side?
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 10:49 AM

Do you code your HTML to be pretty? Like:

<table>
<tr>
<td>item 1</td>
<td>item 2</td>
</tr>
</table>

I have found that the whitespace in the HTML itself can cause rendering issues such as the white line. Which is stupid, since IE shouldn't care about how much white space or line returns there are BETWEEN the tags.

Try it like this and see if it does anything:

<table><tr><td>item 1</td><td>item 2</td></tr></table>

Sucks really bad but sometimes you gotta bend over for IE like that.

Hope that helps a bit!

piot
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 10:59 AM

Did you create the page with Image Ready or Fireworks?

The sliced images and multiple table cells that these create are way more complex than they need to be...and end up causing more probs than they are worth.

I think I see a rogue 1px spacer image in there...in amongst 37 images in 31 table cells !!!

Easier just to start from scratch (...a bit bored at the moment!).
Should only need about 13 pics in 9 table cells.
Much easier to manage when you need to change anything.

Hope this helps.....Piot (in N21!)Try this
Piot

englandmademe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by piot:
Did you create the page with Image Ready or Fireworks?

The sliced images and multiple table cells that these create are way more complex than they need to be...and end up causing more probs than they are worth.

I think I see a rogue 1px spacer image in there...in amongst 37 images in 31 table cells !!!

Easier just to start from scratch (...a bit bored at the moment!).
Should only need about 13 pics in 9 table cells.
Much easier to manage when you need to change anything.

Hope this helps.....Piot (in N21!)Try this
I thought it was better for downloading to break the image up a bit - although I know exactly what you are saying - it has turned into table chaos . It was created in Dreamweaver.... Thanks for you help...

englandmademe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Black Book:
There's an "old ninja stealth trick called 'view-source'", which points to http://www.parallaxstudios.co.uk/bri...rightwater.css

p.s. englandmademe - do you really need to use an image swap to make the text in the nav bar go red? How about actually using text and using a:hover? Or are you being kind to our badly anti-aliased text friends on the wintel side?

I suppose I didn't have to do that the client has seen it now so I'm probably stuck with it!

piot
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by englandmademe:
I thought it was better for downloading to break the image up a bit - although I know exactly what you are saying - it has turned into table chaos . It was created in Dreamweaver.... Thanks for you help...
No real advantage. On a slow connection the browser can take a little while to draw and fill a complex table. One single image will probably be a smaller file size aswell.
Piot

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower:
Do you code your HTML to be pretty? Like:

<table>
<tr>
<td>item 1</td>
<td>item 2</td>
</tr>
</table>

I have found that the whitespace in the HTML itself can cause rendering issues such as the white line. Which is stupid, since IE shouldn't care about how much white space or line returns there are BETWEEN the tags.

Try it like this and see if it does anything:

<table><tr><td>item 1</td><td>item 2</td></tr></table>

Sucks really bad but sometimes you gotta bend over for IE like that.

Hope that helps a bit!
It's weird - it seems strange that IE would care about white space, since when it parses XML it does it incorrectly and ignores the whitespace, when it should create a textnode (like all good browsers). Make sense?
Code:
<hello> <there>ay-up boyo</there> </hello>
Would mean <there> would actually be the second child of <hello> since theres a textNode representing the carriage return... Anyhoo - it's a bother we have to deal with when writing for MSIE and Moz, since the MSXML paser would see <there> as childNode[0] rather than 1 - which, I suppose, seems a little more intuitive...

Anyway - MSIE behaving funny when parsing HTML (the opposite of when it does XML) wouldn't really surprise me much - so it could be due to that...
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 02:16 PM

Good to know about the IE XML handling! I think I have tracked the IE table whitespace issue down to just the nested content within a TD. Run it all together with no whitespace and its all good. Which is bad.

DUNSEL
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Black Book:

Yeah, I know wiseguy. But I'm at work and had neither the time nor the desire to DL or filter through his stylesheet for the applicable rules.
I saw a woman with a sweatshirt that said "Guess", so I said, "Implants?"

englandmademe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by DUNSEL:
Yeah, I know wiseguy. But I'm at work and had neither the time nor the desire to DL or filter through his stylesheet for the applicable rules.
Thank you everyone for posting your thoughts/suggestions. Very much appreciated. I think I have enough here to go on and sort this out one way or another. Cheers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules