Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Problems in displaying page in IE, good solution?

Problems in displaying page in IE, good solution?
t_hah
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 04:04 PM

I used one of Dreamweaver's built in sample pages to create the following site:
http://www.amsy.net

I received a complaint from a reader who uses IE (probably 5) and said that the page does not show up correctly on his screen.

Basically the main content of the page starts only after the last line of the left menu bar. Because of this, on their screen they have to scroll through about a page of white space.

I am coding on a Mac and all the browsers here render the page correctly. Even IE Mac does a good enough job.

Do you guys have an idea which part of the code might be causing the problem and how could it be solved?

Thank you,

t

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2004, 04:27 PM

Hmm... it seems that IE 5 (I'm presuming it works in ie5.5+) doesn't like the float used for pageNav...

See the sticky thread above this: 'If IE doesn't work, fix it yourself!', or you could do a simple javascript test for IE5 and set the absolutely position the content div...
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 04:45 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to look at the Sticky post, but the solution was a bit confusing to me.

If you have some time, could you please explain the "absolutely position the content div..." a little more.

Thanks,

t

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2004, 05:18 PM

'Absolutely position the content div':

Basically, what I meant by that is that you could set the style of the div to be
Code:
position: absolute; top: 30px; left: 173px
or something similar.

The problem is that it will likely break the flow of the rest of your page...

Now, I've had a PC donated to me (and once I get a KVM I'll be more likely to play with it - see the Market Place forum if anyone can help me!), so I'll be able to get back into what I thought I'd left behind 4 years ago - namely, trying to figure out how to make IE work...

That's a bit of a tangent to what I wanted to talk about, but never mind
Back on topic - it'd probably be better if your margin for the content div to have a top margin of -200px (or whatever it's being displaced by), rather than absolutely positioning it.

Like I say - when I get the KVM and it's less of a hassle to switch between my mac and the PC, I'll be much more help
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2004, 05:50 PM

I see, thank you.
I will play around with it too. I really need someone to donate a PC to me as well. Only for this reason, and to have something to kick around when I get really frustrated with IE.

:-)

DUNSEL
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 07:03 PM

Looks great in IE6 though.
I saw a woman with a sweatshirt that said "Guess", so I said, "Implants?"

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2004, 11:24 PM

This basically has nothing to do with what you asked, but on the front page, shouldn't "Kattintson ide b�vebb INDUSTRIA ki�ll�t�si inform�ci��rt" be "Kattintson ide bővebb INDUSTRIA ki�ll�t�si inform�ci��rt"? (Ie. � should be ő )

Forum Links
Forum Rules