Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Any Firefox users here?

Any Firefox users here?
DUNSEL
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 01:19 PM

I'm curious about how Firefox functions on a Mac OS. Is it any faster than the other options (safari, ie_)? Does the program itself still load slower than government moves?
I saw a woman with a sweatshirt that said "Guess", so I said, "Implants?"

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 01:38 PM

I did use Firefox quite a lot, but on my slower hardware I believe nowadays that Safari (v1.2.2) is slightly faster, and able to instantly load pages when going 'back'.

Firefox is far more customisable than Safari, and has a greater feature set. However, it still lacks Mac specific polish, although it does work very well having said that

DUNSEL  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 01:41 PM

Thanks. I'm curious because it seems all gecko based browsers take an ice-age to load on windows OS. Just wondered if it was any different on Mac.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 02:27 PM

I use Firefox because it renders faster on dialup and I like the extra features. Plus, Safari got really slow for me when I installed PithHelmet.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 27, 2004, 02:38 PM

I use Firfox for all Ebay related things.
It`s a tad slower than Safari.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

DUNSEL  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 02:51 PM

Why just ebay?

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 03:37 PM

Older versions of Safari had some trouble with eBay pages. But I've been using it to sell lots of stuff, no problems.

I use Firefox exclusively at work (on my PC) because IE is just awful. It works great there, but I find Safari works well at home so I've never bothered to try FF on OSX.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:

I use Firefox exclusively at work (on my PC) because IE is just awful. It works great there, but I find Safari works well at home so I've never bothered to try FF on OSX.
Same here. Although I use Mozilla itself for web development almost exclusively, with just a few checks to see if things are compatible with Safari. Hopefully by version 1.0 Firefox will be good enough to use exclusively. Gotta love that icon
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 27, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by DUNSEL:
Why just ebay?
Ebay doesn`t accept Safari.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

DUNSEL  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 04:25 PM

Segregationalists!!!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 04:41 PM

Firefox is currently my main browser. Compared to Safari, OmniWeb, and Camino it is faster. Noticeably faster than either Camino or OW. Besides the ugly theme, Firefox rocks!

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 05:15 PM

I'm currently using Camino as my default browser. Nothing beats it speed after you do some user.js-tuning. (This tuning is also possible in the other Geckos, but Firefox is just too bulky and non-native for me.)

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 05:26 PM

FireFox sucks major on my bondi-blue... Scroll is totally ****ed up, and it takes years to open...

DUNSEL  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 05:32 PM

That's what I find. I don't see any speed difference, and it takes a month to open the program.

Sod Off Sadr
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: I sent hundreds of followers to their deaths. Then I cut and ran. Now I'm livin' large somewhere in Najaf.
Jun 27, 2004, 06:37 PM

I use it almost exclusively for all my web needs. It has a robust, deep feature set with a variety of settings and options. The extension Adblock is also a must-have. It can block any annoying javascript, image, server, gif, or flash object on the net. Far superior to mozilla's built-in image blocker or pithhelmet for safari.

Not to mention it's fast.
You heard me! Sod off, Sadr!

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:

eBay works fine with Safari for me...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2004, 07:25 PM

Firefox is significantly slower to load than Safari, but once it gets going it seems to be much faster. You can eliminate the load-time issue by simply not quitting Firefox (closing all the windows instead), and switching back to it when you need to do so.

Camino -a Gecko-based browser with a native Mac interface, similar in principle ot K-Meleon on Windows if you've ever tried that- has much better Mac integration than Firefox, and its bookmark-management interface is light-years better (it's also taken from Safari). However, it's missing several features that Firefox has, including Midas support and XPI-based extensions. The lack of extensibility is a fairly minor inconvenience, but depending on the sites you use the lack of Midas support could potentially be a deal-breaker. Most in-browser rich-text editors cannot distinguish Camino from Firefox, and so they break, usually by showing a text editor that doesn't work.

Personally, I find Firefox to have the best balance: most of Safari's speed (modulo launch-time speed, which is still short enough that it's of no concern), most of Camino's functionality (though not as much in the way of integration), and slightly better standards support than either of them.

One thing to be warned about: Camino and Firefox have both recently redone their GUIs in the latest releases, and both of them are major steps backward in terms of elegance. The changes are cosmetic -no functionality is affected- but you could very well find yourself searching for themes to revert them back to the earlier appearance.
( Last edited by Millennium; Jun 27, 2004 at 11:01 PM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 10:54 PM

I like firefox, and have it as the 'second place' browser on my system. Safari is easily top, but I don't know if I've just gotten used to it. Safari loads WAY faster, I have found some sites that safari has trouble with work perfectly in firefox, so the two together cover almost everything...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 11:08 PM

EBay works fine with Safari. I've both bought and sold stuff and never had one problem.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 28, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
EBay works fine with Safari. I've both bought and sold stuff and never had one problem.
Ebay.de doesn`t work. Can`t upload pictures. Don`t know about Ebay.com

Me on Flickr.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:16 PM

Ebay.de doesn`t work. Can`t upload pictures. Don`t know about Ebay.com
As of v1.2.2 eBay picture uploading issues are gone (this is my experience).

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 28, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
As of v1.2.2 eBay picture uploading issues are gone (this is my experience).
Just tried Ebay.de - lo and behold - it worked!
A few weeks ago I couldn`t even log in.
Must`ve been fixed with the last Safari update.

Me on Flickr.

dj forge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2004, 06:49 PM

I use firefox pretty much all the time on both my pc and my mac.

quick question though. is there a way to import my bookmarks into safari? I can't seem to find a way to do it
DJForge.com

Powerbook 15"
1.5 Ghz
1 GB RAM

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by dj forge:

quick question though. is there a way to import my bookmarks into safari? I can't seem to find a way to do it
You have to enable the debug-menu I think.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by dj forge:

go here: http://www.versiontracker.com/php/se...acosx&x=13&y=8

Should be something you can use

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 03:31 AM

I just find Fire[insert random animal here] unusable if a page has any flash content. Same page loads just fine in Safari, Camino, OmniWeb, Opera even IE but Fire* just knees and most of the time just freeze beachballing.

I remember getting some 0.9 nightly that had the problem fixed but returned in full force in final release and 0.9.1.

BustledHedgerow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 09:08 AM

Nope, I'm a Safari user. =/
The sheep in the meadow go bah.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
I just find Fire[insert random animal here] unusable if a page has any flash content. Same page loads just fine in Safari, Camino, OmniWeb, Opera even IE but Fire* just knees and most of the time just freeze beachballing.

I remember getting some 0.9 nightly that had the problem fixed but returned in full force in final release and 0.9.1.
This is a problem (Homestarrunner can be very bad with embedded movies), but it is improved somewhat in the latest builds.

truaxbiology
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 03:02 PM

Does anyone else get a small, featureless, window appearing while firefox is open and expose is activated? By the way, I use Safari and Firefox both. Firefox renders one site I have to use (WebCT) whereas Safari has weird difficulties doing so.

Truax
Miss School, Miss Out!

Forum Links
Forum Rules