Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Osama Buddy takes Saudi Offfer

Osama Buddy takes Saudi Offfer
macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2004, 08:54 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125550,00.html

Two things of interest here:

"Thank God, thank God ... I called the embassy and we were very well-received," the wheelchair-bound and smiling al-Harbi told Saudi state television in the airport terminal. "I have come obeying God, and obeying the [kingdom's] rulers."
and of particular interest:

Al-Harbi described the amnesty as a "generous offer" and urged other militants to take advantage of it.
Hmm. Well regardless, this amnesty thing has been working. It's one less moron on Osama's side.

Now lets hope this guy has some info. The Saudi's could make him a little offer, since he's technically not covered by this Amnesty deal... provide some info, and you get it. Convince several other militants, and you get it.

Doesn't really matter what they do to him, the objective is to crack down on terrorism. If keeping this guy alive, rather than killing him helps stop this cr@p... rock on.

He had a dinner with Osama, so there is a chance he may know something. He's considered to be close to him.

In any regard, it's a small victory for the world today, 1 less on the streets, and a good chance at some info that we wouldn't get easily any other way.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2004, 09:35 PM

I'm still not totally clear on this amnesty deal the Saudis are offering. Is the deal that he is granted full amnesty and allowed to continue living a normal life, or will he be prosecuted/put in jail but not executed?

If the former is the case, then it's a terrible idea since he could just continue being a terrorist. The latter would be the smart choice, but when has any government been known for making smart choices? (rhetorical, just a joke)

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2004, 10:13 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...di.terrorists/

From what I read, it means their life will be spared, and they will be tried under Islamic law, and not be handed over to other countries (such as the US).

After the Amnesty period, they could be killed by Saudi police.

So for those guilty, it's a good offer. If they get out of the business NOW, they have their life spared, and won't end up in foreign hands.

But Islamic Law is apparantly not very laid back... so it's far from being free.

The Saudi police have a history of being rather harsh when they have a target. They are very targeted (they avoid damage to anything that isn't the target)... but don't view 'wanted as dead or alive' as something to mean 'bring them in alive for questioning'... they mean 'mutilate the body'.

Obviously the US hasn't always been thrilled, since their police have killed some people the US feels would have been good to interview.

Regardless, apparantly 3 have turned themselves in. Lets hope this guy is influential among these militants and can convince others to turn themselves in and take the offer. It's good for them, the Saudi's, and the US.

macvillage.net  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2004, 09:12 PM

Another apparantly today with Osama ties:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ers/index.html

I'm curious if they will extend it, and if any more will take it. For those in question, it's a golden offer.

This is a pretty good deal for the US too... not raising hostilities, or harming Americans... and it's getting rid of the problem.

I'm betting the Saudi police are preparing a large scale attack on some terrorists... just to make a point and cozy up to the Bush Admin. before November. Hence the reason this offer is being made.

Forum Links
Forum Rules