Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme disconnects from net but keeps signal active

Airport Extreme disconnects from net but keeps signal active
Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2004, 10:41 PM

I'll go ahead and precede this post by saying that when it comes to wireless anything, I am far from an expert and am in need of some help to solve a problem that I don't understand.

Anyway, my family has an Airport Extreme base station that generally has three computers networked with it: an older iBook, and older iMac, and an older Titanium PowerBook. All three of the computers have a regular Airport card, and they all seem to get pretty good reception since they're generally close to the base station. Long story short, the computers never stop getting a signal from the base station, but the base station will just stop loading pages (or anything else, for that matter) from the net. Simply unplugging the base station and plugging it back in seems to work just fine, but a few days later I'll be surfing and suddenly be unable to load a page. The problem seems to occur randomly...it's happened in the middle of the night when no one is on, and it's happened in the middle of day when the entire family is on the net.

Basically, I'm curious if anyone knows of a problem like this one, and if so, what might be causing it and how we might go about fixing it. All of the computers have the most recent updates, and the problem seems to have started about a month ago. Just let me know if you need any more info and how to go about getting it if it's anything more complex than finding the IP address of the base station (I'm a novice at this stuff, so I might need some guidance in getting some of the info). Anyone have any ideas?
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2004, 01:37 PM

The next time you suspect your AirPort Base Station to be on the blink, try testing your cable modem by plugging one of your Macs directly into it. If after doing so you can use the computer to browse web pages, then you can at least rule your ISP out as being the culprit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules