Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MDD 1.25DP CPU "Recall"? And other such problems

MDD 1.25DP CPU "Recall"? And other such problems
nshank
Oct 31, 2004, 09:17 PM

Hi all,
I have a question regarding the MDD 1.25DP CPU's. I have heard rumors that Apple know's these are problematic, and have recalled them. However, I am un-able to find anything regarding this on Apple's web site. Does anyone else know anything about this? Or am I just imaging it?
The reason I ask is I'm having problems w/ mine. It runs fine for about 30 hours, then locks up. Thereafter, it gets really unstable, crashing about every 2 hours. Even when left off for a week. I don't think it's a heat problem, but I'm out of ideas, save this:

I have a sawtooth G4 500DP, and am wondering if I can change CPU's w/ the MDD, to see if it's either the board or the CPU's. I know the CPU's from the MDD won't run at full speed in the Sawtooth, but I don't have a way to test either the board or the CPU's of the MDD.

Thanks,
Nick
Primary: Windtunnel (MDD) 1.25DP, 2G DDR, 128M Radeon 9000 Pro (PC Mod, have the original 64M Mac one for GP), Combo drive,
2x NEC 4X DVD-RW's, 2x Seagate 120G, 2x IBM 9.1G U2W in RAID 1, 2x Samsung 191T+ LCD's

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2004, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by nshank:
I have heard rumors that Apple know's these are problematic, and have recalled them. However, I am un-able to find anything regarding this on Apple's web site. Does anyone else know anything about this? Or am I just imaging it?
I have heard of no such recall.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

nshank  (op)
Nov 1, 2004, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
I have heard of no such recall.
Well, I wasn't sure. I haven't really been able to find anything definate...
Nick
Primary: Windtunnel (MDD) 1.25DP, 2G DDR, 128M Radeon 9000 Pro (PC Mod, have the original 64M Mac one for GP), Combo drive,
2x NEC 4X DVD-RW's, 2x Seagate 120G, 2x IBM 9.1G U2W in RAID 1, 2x Samsung 191T+ LCD's

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 11:43 AM

I think you're referring to the PSU (Power Supply Unit) exchange program and that's over. It was to replace noisy PSUs with quieter ones.

Are you running MacOS 9 or MacOS X? This sounds like MacOS 9 running out of RAM. It often happened in MacOS 9 due to application requiring more RAM and due to memory fragmentation. In which case a restart clear up the problem.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

nshank  (op)
Nov 1, 2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
I think you're referring to the PSU (Power Supply Unit) exchange program and that's over. It was to replace noisy PSUs with quieter ones.

Are you running MacOS 9 or MacOS X? This sounds like MacOS 9 running out of RAM. It often happened in MacOS 9 due to application requiring more RAM and due to memory fragmentation. In which case a restart clear up the problem.
I'm running OS X, and, with 2 gigs ram, I don't think I'm running out of ram. No matter what hardware setup I use, I still get the same problem. I have the machine sitting on the floor atm, and am using my gaming rig for most everything...

I miss OS X...

nshank  (op)
Nov 2, 2004, 06:13 AM

After doing a bit more digging, I have come to realize that this is the fw800 model. I don't know that that matters, but that's what I have.

Also, I have ran techtool 4.0.1 on it, and have had interersting results. The first time I tried it, it crashed. Black screen telling me I need to reboot. Every other time it's worked just fine. For GP here is how the system is setup:

Stock system
G4 1.25DP
256M PC-2700 DIMM
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro
Apple 80G HDD
Stock combo drive
Apple USB keyboard
Apple USB mouse
Single Samsung 191T+ LCD connected via DVI
Network cable to 3Com SuperStack 3000 (Yeah, I know, but I'm _REALLY_ confused as to what's wrong atm)

Steps taken to install OS:
I went into O.F. and reset everything using:
reset-nvram
set-defalts
reset-all

Booted from OS X 10.3.2 CD 1. (Note: I am not able to boot from any other install CD. 10.3.2, the newest I have, is all I can boot from. It will not boot the 10.2 install cd, or the OS 9 cd.)
Standard install, no options changed.
Did not do any of the updates, as I thought one of them might be the problem.
Installed techtool pro 4.0.1.

I ran the tests, and aside from the first dump, everything's gone fine. I don't have my restore CD's anymore. They were lost when I moved, as was most of my software. I did buy 10.2 and 10.3, and if anyone knows where I can order the CD set that came w/ this machine, including the diag util, I would be greatfull.

As of now, I don't know what to do. I can use my G4 500DP for a while I suspose, but I needed something faster for the stuff I'm doing. I've heard horror stories about getting a G5, although, if I can't get this fixed, I may have to break down and get one.

Nick

Forum Links
Forum Rules