Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Slow response to mouse clicks

Slow response to mouse clicks
AlaskaBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 03:13 PM

I don;t see anyone raising this issue, but I have a hard time with moving stuff around because I seem to click-select-and-drag way faster than the OS can keep up.

As a long time Mac User I am used to the instantaneous click response of OS 9... But when i use my G5 with 10.3.7 I find i have to click & wait that extra half or one second for the click to register after I have seleced a range of items to transfer from one folder to another. If I do not wait that second the click gets clicked somewhere else.

Basically it seems as if I'm clicking too fast for the OS to register..
(The same thing applies to selecting & dragging text. it is much SLOWER than it was in 9. In 9 you selected the text clicked & it dragged immediately. Under 10 you select the text, click on it & HOLD for a second or 2 THEN you can drag it, sometimes.)

Do you get what Im saying? Does anyone else have this behavior?
It's hard to describe and I dont have a screen capture that will catch it.

Curious if there is a reason for it.

I've done a lot of good tries at troubleshooting and it happens with a fresh OS install, AND with a gooeyed up system (Extra system prefs & such)

Zapped PRAM, Trashed plists, turned off & on LazyMouse & Mouseworks, etc... Its the OS fer sure...

And Im not the only one who notices it. A poweruser buddy with a 17" G4 Powerbook who has the same problem.

It just seems as if OS X isn't as responsive as 9 was when clicking & dragging & doing stuff.

Anyone ELSE, esp power users, notice this?

John
1.6G Cheese Grater, 1.25G RAM, OS 10.3.8

(It happend with my Turbo mouse AND my Apple Pro mouse.. AND on my buddy's 17" PowerBook)

**Posted same thing on Apples forums, with few hits....**
---
I was up all night wondering where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

1.6 G5, Gig-o-RAM, 80HD, DVD, 80 external FW, 15g iPod. (Old Beige G3(running 10.2.8 very nicely) w/tons of accessories)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2005, 08:32 PM

It is unusual that you are having problems with moving files around, because there should be no delay for that Finder action. I am now moving files around immediately after highlighting them, and I see no delay. Now on the other hand you will notice that you need to wait around one second after clicking before attempting a drag-n-drop of text within a Cocoa application. That is simply the way Cocoa applications were designed to behave, as opposed to Carbon applications, which allow you to drag the text immediately. I personally do not do enough drag-n-drop of text to have the delay impact me enough, but if you do it often I suppose it could get annoying. It would be nice if there were a hidden preference for the drag delay, but if there were someone would have found it long ago. I suppose you just have to get used to it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

AlaskaBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 09:00 PM

Yeah, I know the same thing about drag & dropping text... In fact it seems as if the finder has that same delay (only 1/4 second or so) when grabbing & moving files in icon view.

Here's another instance.

Using GraphicConverter's photo browser I select a bunch of photos and quickly try to grab ne & drag them to another folder. Only the click does not register until i STOP dragging on the new folder, only to open that folder. The files were not dragged.

This happens ALL THE TIME.

Any other suggestions?

John
---

1.6 G5, Gig-o-RAM, 80HD, DVD, 80 external FW, 15g iPod. (Old Beige G3(running 10.2.8 very nicely) w/tons of accessories)

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2005, 11:11 PM

Sounds like the problem I had. I bought a new mouse to see if the other was dying and sure enough the new mouse worked great. Dead mouse, meet garbage.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

AlaskaBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2005, 04:26 AM

I dont think its the pointer because I have the stock mouse (which has less than 20 hours usage) and a Kensington TurboMouse (with hours & hours of usage).My budy has a wireless Intellimouse and the stock trackpad, and he has the same problem.

I have noticed this problem since day 1 with OS X (10.2 to be exact) and just now got around to posting it.

Now both of us are fast movers, grabbing files & movin them around place to place fast.

Keep trying. I wish I could find a good capture program to capture what I see, but none capture fast enough to see this...

JOhn
---

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 10:55 AM

AlaskaBoy:

It's not you, it's not your machine, it's not your install, your RAM or your configuration.

It's the way this stupid operating system was �designed� from day one, period.

They've just chosen the superabundant eye candy and retarded special effects over responsiveness and functionality, simple as that. The sales con over the user experience. Instead of creating a minimal and non-intrusive interface they decided it was better to waste all of our processing power to try and render the marketing-driven Aqua nonsense in hopes of attracting the kind of user that won't notice/won't care about what's really going on. There's so much stuff happening at the same time under the hood for even the simplest click and drag that it's no surprise no machine can keep up with a moderately fast Mac user. I can't tell you how much more efficient and responsive my G4 in OS 9 is compared to my Dual 2.0 G5 2MB RAM for anything from simple file manipulation in the Finder to basic interactions in After Effects 6.5, Illustrator or Photoshop. It's ridiculous.
Do you think the casual users they want to attract with OS X need to move a lot of stuff around? iPhoto and iTunes will do it for them, no problem. Unix people? They just bypass the slow GUI by using the Terminal or any of the million geek tools built-in to the system.

The ones that generally have serious issues with OS X's responsiveness and lack of functionality are those long-time professional Mac users like you and I that still remember how our computers used to �just work� and don't want to settle for less.

Some say Tiger will fix some of these issues by using the GPU a lot more and what not. I've been hearing how the next $129 release will magically fix OS X for the past four years so I'm not holding my breath this time around either...

It's a sad state of things for some of us.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 11:13 AM

I'm not seeing this. There's no perceptible delay in dragging even a dozen files around in the Finder. This is in icon view, right? Is there something eating your processes? I just filled my desktop up with new folders and selected them all and dragged them into another folder with ZERO delay. Is there something different you're talking about? Some way to test for this?

AlaskaBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2005, 02:28 PM

Yeah I just tried a test (been tryin to think of a way to do this repeatably (ie scientific method) for a while.

This kinda works (I got it to happen once in 3 minutes of trying)

Make a new folder in the finder. Put about 40 mixed files in it (jpeg, sounds, text, etc...). Put it in Icon view about 48-50 point sixe, name on the right.

Pretend youre gonna drag the stuff to the left into a folder in the "folder bar" (I forot its name .. too early & not enough coffee)

Now quickly select a bunch & try grabbing & moving them. Most of the time they grab OK (even if the drag is a little delayed). I do this & just barely stop the mouse for the click, sometimes its still going when i click. I havent been able to do it consistently, but it happens every once in a while.
You'll notice it happen if you click in the lower right corner item but the mouse ends up on a central or upper left item (assuming an upper-left drag direction).

Try this. Like I said it didnt happen often, but it did happen twice now in 3-4 minutes of trying.

JOhn
---

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 04:43 PM

I hate to join the OS X-bashing, but I do notice a number of delays that are inescapable it seems. I had thought it was just my G4, but things don't feel much different on a new G5. What kind of mouse are you using BTW? I've had three Microsoft Intellimice, and they all break down (this is warranty), the current one doesn't register all clicks (Explorer 4.0) and it makes everything feel slow as you wait for something to happen.

AlaskaBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2005, 05:08 PM

Yukon-- My pointers are listed above in the thread. My buddy has the MS Intellimouse Explorer 2 (with side scroll click wheel)

And for Awspaas-- I notice it happens more when my processor is being used. Like when i am loading a web page (modem speed 24.6-no cable or dsl available here) and try this in the finder. then the mouse clicks get goofy...

John
basking in the warmth of 25� above in Fairbanks
---

Forum Links
Forum Rules