Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Strange error prevents normal startup

Strange error prevents normal startup
Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 10:46 PM

I was on my TiPB 800MHz running 10.3.7 last night when the machine basically froze up on me while I was in the middle of editing some track data in iTunes. I did a force restart, and after going through the grey apple on startup I got a black command-line screen with text that was flashing extremely quickly on the top two lines, despite the fact that I hadn't been holding any keys down on startup. The text kept refreshing over and over. Here's what it said:

Code:
dyld: -sh can't open library: /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib (no such file or directory, errno=2) Feb 2 04:51:54 init: single user shell terminated, restarting
After that, I force rebooted and got the same result. I was able to boot up from the System Disc without any difficulty and did a Repair Permissions (more or less just so that I could say I had done it since I knew someone here would ask) and it did repair permissions on the libncurses.5.dylib file, as well as many other files. Still though, booting from the HDD yielded the same black screen...although I just now realized that I forgot to check if the text was the same or if it had changed

Anyway, I'm now booted off of an external FW HDD but seem to be unable to mount the internal HDD from Disk Utility, and a Repair Disk gives me this:

Repairing disk for �Sirrus�
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid sibling link
Invalid B-tree Header
Invalid map node
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Invalid catalog record type
Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Repair attempted on 1 volume
0 HFS volumes repaired
1 volume could not be repaired

So, if any of you guys have an idea of where to start, let me know. Honestly, if I can just get my data off of the internal HDD and to the external HDD (last backup I did was over a month ago) I'll be satisfied since I have no problems with a reformat, but I would, of course, prefer to avoid that route. So, any ideas?
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2005, 11:02 PM

Your B-tree is ****ed. That disk has some serious bad mojo that can't be fixed by Disk Utility. I would try DiskWarrior.

Out of curiosity, to your knowledge, had you turned off journaling or run any low-level disk programs (defraggers, repair utilties, etc.) recently before this happened?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Anubis IV  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 11:35 PM

Nope, nothing too far out of the ordinary recently. I actually did a clean reinstall around the beginning of January just because it had been a few years since I had done one and I felt like I needed to clean out some of those misc files that I didn't need any more but were still sitting on my system. And I always leave Journaling enabled since I never understood why someone would really want to disable it.

Any ideas besides something as in depth as DiskWarrior to just get the data off of my system? I haven't really tried anything yet, but if I can just get the internal HDD mounted I can copy everything across to the external HDD and then bring it back slowly over the next few days and weeks.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 03:01 AM

Have you tried replacing the file "libncurses.5.dylib" with a fresh copy?

(Although it indeed appears your disk has a problem,) I've once experienced random corruption of a system file that could be fixed by a uncorrupt copy.

J

Anubis IV  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 03:39 AM

Haven't tried that yet, but right now I have a bit of trouble since I can't even mount the internal HDD. If I could mount the internal HDD I'd be able to do any number of things, but as it is, after I repaired the permissions and rebooted I can't mount the HDD, and now it seems that I get the infamous question mark image on startup.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2005, 04:56 AM

Your file system is seriously messed up. You're not going to wave a dead chicken at it and make the disk mount without fixing it. Seriously, I would recommend just getting DiskWarrior and hoping for the best.
Chuck
___

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:

Repairing disk for �Sirrus�
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid sibling link
Invalid B-tree Header
Invalid map node
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Invalid catalog record type
Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

Repair attempted on 1 volume
0 HFS volumes repaired
1 volume could not be repaired

So, if any of you guys have an idea of where to start, let me know. Honestly, if I can just get my data off of the internal HDD and to the external HDD (last backup I did was over a month ago) I'll be satisfied since I have no problems with a reformat, but I would, of course, prefer to avoid that route. So, any ideas?
I get the same error message on my boot disk when I try to repair it. My computer crashed yesterday (giving me the multilanguage screen). I did a hard restart, logged back in my regular user account, and it crashed again. restarted and logged in in my admin account : you guessed it, it crashed again. Not sure what is going on. Upon booting on my other hard drive, I can mount the original boot hard drive. But Disk Utility is not able to repoir it (error -9972). I don't really wanna spend $80 on Disk Warrior, so I guess I'll just transfer what I need and then erase that boot partition...

Edit : forgot to mention that Disk Utility reports an 'Invalid Key for thread report', whatever that means
( Last edited by villalobos; Feb 26, 2005 at 12:32 AM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2005, 01:24 AM

As far as I can tell, Disk Utility's repair function is basically a GUI for fsck. It always reports the exact same problems and fails to repair the same things.
Chuck
___

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 02:02 AM

If your machine can boot into OS 9, you can use Drive Setup Utility to run a surface scan on your drive to see if it's failing due to bad blocks.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Anubis IV  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2005, 03:43 AM

I ended up using Norton SystemWorks (ech...didn't have DiskWarrior handy) to get my internal HDD fixed up enough that I could get at the data, then I copied out what I could and erased the thing and copied back in as much of the data as I needed from my external HDD.

The bad thing was, about a week later I ran into a problem right after updating to 10.3.8. I don't know if it was 10.3.8 or some other problem, but regardless, the catalogue B-Tree structure went out on me again. I've since done a complete reformat and am bring back my backed up data VERY slowly from my external HDD...basically bring it back one file at a time, since I want to make sure that nothing funky is going on with my stuff.

Some stuff was really weird too...like, I tried to play a certain track in iTunes, and instead of playing that track it started halfway through another one. Quit iTunes, tried the same track again, and it did the same thing again, and it was just that track, all the rest were fine. I was thinking it could be some catalogue issue where the pointer/link/<insert correct technical word here> to that file was corrupted and ended up pointing to the wrong memory address, but what do I know?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:
I ended up using Norton SystemWorks (ech...didn't have DiskWarrior handy) to get my internal HDD fixed up enough that I could get at the data, then I copied out what I could and erased the thing and copied back in as much of the data as I needed from my external HDD.

The bad thing was, about a week later I ran into a problem right after updating to 10.3.8. I don't know if it was 10.3.8 or some other problem, but regardless, the catalogue B-Tree structure went out on me again. I've since done a complete reformat and am bring back my backed up data VERY slowly from my external HDD...basically bring it back one file at a time, since I want to make sure that nothing funky is going on with my stuff.

Some stuff was really weird too...like, I tried to play a certain track in iTunes, and instead of playing that track it started halfway through another one. Quit iTunes, tried the same track again, and it did the same thing again, and it was just that track, all the rest were fine. I was thinking it could be some catalogue issue where the pointer/link/<insert correct technical word here> to that file was corrupted and ended up pointing to the wrong memory address, but what do I know?
You may have bad blocks on your drive. You really should run some kind of surface scan on it. The ones I know to be good are Apple's Drive Setup Utility in OS 9 and TTP4. If you have a bad block near the beginning of the drive, these errors will continue to come up.

As far as the audio file, you probably had overlapped files before you copied the file off of the hard drive. This would therefore be a corrupt file. You should replace it.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules