Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Web Browser, e-Mail Client options for Classic?

Web Browser, e-Mail Client options for Classic?
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 09:58 AM

I have a Power Mac 8600, upgraded to a 400 Mhz. G3 a few years ago. The 8600 is used primarily for word processing, web browsing, and to check e-Mail. It is running Mac OS 9. The word processing is covered by AppleWorks, and I am happy with that. iCab is being used for web browsing. Eudora is being used as the e-Mail client. However, I have encountered too many problems with iCab recently and Eudora is really not to my liking. I suppose that I am simply used to all the features of Mail.app on Mac OS X.

But, what other options do I have as far as web browsers and e-Mail clients on Mac OS 9? I remember I once installed Mozilla on the machine and it slowed to a crawl. It was a horrible experience. I suppose it simply lacks the horsepower to execute such demanding code. But that can't be all that's out there for Mac OS 9, can it?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 10:56 AM

I would 100% recommend Outlook Express for email and Internet Explorer for web browsing.

For machines running OS 9 at that speed, OE and IE are easily best of their class. It was (IMHO) the time that MS made their best Mac software.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
I would 100% recommend Outlook Express for email and Internet Explorer for web browsing.

For machines running OS 9 at that speed, OE and IE are easily best of their class. It was (IMHO) the time that MS made their best Mac software.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't doubt that it was good software, however maybe I should have specified non-MS software. For the years of browser darkness, I stuck it out with Netscape to avoid using anything M$. I also used iCab for a while as my co-browser, until finally bright days came along once again with Safari, Firefox and Mail.app.

So, I appreciate your suggestion, and I'm sure you're right about the software, on a practical level, but I refused to use M$ software then, and there's no way I'm going to use it now.

This brings me to another related question-- which would be a more up to date/capable browser-- an old Classic Netscape version or the latest version of iCab?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2005, 12:26 PM

iCab, for all its weirdness, should be more capable than Netscape 4. It's even got tabbed browsing.

Don't know about e-mail clients, though. Probably best just to search VersionTracker and see what's rated well.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 01:15 PM

What Mozilla did you try? Some of the early releases were very very bad with the slowdowns but the last version for OS 9 (is it 1.2.1 I think...) is actually pretty good.

and shouldn't this have been put in the applications forum??
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 01:33 PM

You should try WaMCom.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2005, 03:52 PM

Is your iCab the version 3?, it works well for me.

A good e-mail client under Mac OS 9 is PowerMail. You must get the version 4m newer are Mac OS X only versions.

http://www.ctmdev.com/powermail4.html

http://www.ctmdev.com/download.html

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blur
and shouldn't this have been put in the applications forum??
hmm... I guess you're right. I suppose I was just thinking "Classic Mac OS" and posted here instead... sorry about that.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 12:03 AM

Netscape 7 runs under OS 9 as well, and it tends to be my preferred browser whenever I have to reboot in OS 9, but I can't speak for how it'll handle with your older computer. The latest version of IE available for OS 9 (IE 5.1.9, I think...or maybe 5.2.1) is loaded with bugs that, in my opinion, make it nearly unusable, so I commend you for avoiding it.

As far as e-mail...I always did use Outlook Express back when I still did e-mail on OS 9. Why not just switch to GMail and avoid having to have an application at all?
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 01:05 AM

Any computer not capable of running OS X will not be able to run Netscape 7 on OS 9 acceptably. It was an absolute dog.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 01:30 AM

I could be 100% wrong, but IIRC there where some builds (unofficial) of a newer branch of Mozilla for Mac OS 9 (1.3 I think). Then the project died.
If that's right, you should have both e-mail and browsing covered.

EDIT, I was right !
http://www.wamcom.org/
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 11:00 AM

Hi again, iCab 3.0 is out, take a look:

http://www.icab.de/dl.php

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sarc
I could be 100% wrong, but IIRC there where some builds (unofficial) of a newer branch of Mozilla for Mac OS 9 (1.3 I think). Then the project died.
If that's right, you should have both e-mail and browsing covered.

EDIT, I was right !
http://www.wamcom.org/
You also missed me posting the same thing yesterday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules