Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > delay with open/save dialog in tiger?

delay with open/save dialog in tiger?
wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2005, 12:42 AM

when trying to open or save a file (only the first time i try to do it in a given application) there is a noticable delay - up to a minute - before the dialog appears. my first reaction was some sort of corrupted preference, so i trashed anything related to the finder and repaired permissions, etc. however, i had a little problem recently with my g5 and had to reinstall mac os, and i still seem to be having the problem - generally when using flash or photoshop cs. basically, when i go to 'save as...', i get a beachball for half a minute or more, then the dialog appears, things are fine, and i go on my merry way.

has anyone else experienced this issue? i've been looking around and can't really find a solution to the problem.

wtmcgee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2005, 02:01 PM

I also forgot to mention - i created a dummy account yesterday, and flash/photoshop seem to not have any delay when saving files. obviously, it's some sort of corrupt pref file or something. any idea what it would be?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2005, 02:09 PM

Do you have your iDisk or some server mounted?

wtmcgee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2005, 02:27 PM

good call - my iDisk was causing it I think. Now I wonder if there's a way to avoid that type of sluggishness without ejecting the iDisk?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by wtmcgee
good call - my iDisk was causing it I think. Now I wonder if there's a way to avoid that type of sluggishness without ejecting the iDisk?
If you find a way, let us know. My iDisk was randomly being mounted, and it caused an intolerable delay. I have yet to figure out how it gets mounted in the first place.

AndrewEWilson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 06:53 PM

Your iDisk is mounted for you because you have iDisk syncing enabled.

Go into System Preferences and choose .Mac, then the Sync tab. Change 'Synchronize with .Mac' to Manual if it is set to anything else, then uncheck this option. This may take some time to respond.

Now choose the iDisk tab. Switch to manual synchronize if it shows automatic, then stop iDisk syncing so that the button shows 'Start' again. Now close Preferences.

Your iDisk icon will now be a document called 'previous local iDisk for yourdotmacname.dmg'. You can Trash this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules