Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I can't do my school homework online with a Mac... Suggestions?

I can't do my school homework online with a Mac... Suggestions?
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 11, 2006, 08:36 PM

Okay,

All homework for my college Algebra class is to be done and submitted online. Problem is that the website where I'm supposed to do it, CourseCompass, doesn't like Macs apparently. When attempting to launch my homework I am greeted with a message saying that Windows and Internet Explorer 6 are required for the site.

I've tried using Opera, identified as IE, and it isn't helping.

Suggestions?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 08:39 PM

If it uses ActiveX you're screwed. If you can't find a PC that is.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 11, 2006, 08:53 PM

Indeed it does... Dammit.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2006, 08:59 PM

I hope someone makes a really nice port of WINE for OS X on x86 to solve problems like this.

Wevah
Senior User
Jan 12, 2006, 04:36 AM

I hate sites like that so much.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 06:02 AM

Tell your professor to eat a brown one and use something that isn't mad restrictive.

siMac
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2006, 06:33 AM

^^^ Beautifully put.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2006, 02:54 AM

Might also try calling your college or dept. IT administrator or computing center -- profs may or may not have a clue about tech issues.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 06:33 PM

Virtual PC. As slow as it is, sometimes it's worth it.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2006, 03:47 PM

Yeah... Virtual PC is doing the trick.

Windows 2000 under VPC 7 on my Dual 2.5 is surprisingly responsive.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2006, 02:09 AM

still - there is no reason in hell for that - you should complain to everyone no matter if they listen or not.

tonight let us send a message to that army. tonight let us shake this cave! tonight let us tremble these halls of earth, steel, and stone! let us be heard from red core to black sky. tonight, let us make them remember. this is macnn! and we are not afraid!
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006, 08:07 AM

Tell your professor to eat a brown one and use something that isn't mad restrictive.
Awesome.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2006, 08:38 AM

The reason for this sort of restriction is that the pages use nonstandard, non-HTML code for some of what they do. It's sloppy coding to require the special stuff only IE on Windows can do-AND the syllabus should state specifically that the course requires a Windows computer. This not only warns the student, but people with certain academic support (VA, for example) are often provided with hardware they need for the course.

At the very least the fact that the requirement for a Windows computer isn't stated before you start the class is disingenuous. BAD college! BAD! No endowment!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 07:47 PM

Unless your class's requirements stated you need a Windows PC, I'd be getting quite upset with the instructor, the head of the math department, and the director of student affairs.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2006, 12:58 AM

I took issue of this with the instructor, in the hopes that the university would provide a copy of Virtual PC for me. He was empathetic but said he'd seen this situation play out before.

The university's stance, as he explained, is that they see the on-campus Windows PCs as their way of providing access to people who otherwise would not have access from home.

What bullshit...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mrgaskell
Senior User
Jan 19, 2006, 08:36 AM

I would argue that by using that PC-of-shiate only web site gives others an unfair advantage in class, which would be inheritantly discrimitory against you on their part. Unless it specifically says in the course catalog that you MUST have a PC running Win2k or above and IE 6 and above, they either need to make accomidations for you that puts you on an even playing field with your classmates OR use a system that is standards compliant and accessible to all students. If it ActiveX and all that jazz, can disabled students use the site?
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I took issue of this with the instructor, in the hopes that the university would provide a copy of Virtual PC for me. He was empathetic but said he'd seen this situation play out before.

The university's stance, as he explained, is that they see the on-campus Windows PCs as their way of providing access to people who otherwise would not have access from home.

What bullshit...
by that definition it would be okay for you to take one of the pcs on campus and take it home whenever you need to get some work done.

tell your professor or IT department to get with it.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher
by that definition it would be okay for you to take one of the pcs on campus and take it home whenever you need to get some work done.

tell your professor or IT department to get with it.

as much as we all my disagree with the campus' stance, its a fair one.

They provide you with the tools you need, and if you're university is anythign like mine, the libraries were open 24/7 with the expception of Saturday night turning Sunday morning when they closed at 10pm Saturday and re-opened at 9am on Sunday.

You have ample time to make it to a computer lab and get your work turned in. Wether you choose to or not is your perogative.

Taking the computer home... that makes no sense. That's like saying kids who have a car are better off thatn those who have to ride the bus to school. :s You need a computer, you're provided with a room full of them.

Life isn't always 100% fair, it never will be. Take this as a lesson in life.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

ntsc
Senior User
Jan 19, 2006, 01:38 PM

i think the point is more that a fully compatible system does exist and the school has clearly made a conscious and specific decision not to provide support for large portion of users.

I think this is unacceptable, especially since universities are expecting us all to pay for the privilege and *service* of education as a result, they should be providing the same service to all.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Forum Links
Forum Rules