Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > windows partition size on MBP for gaming

windows partition size on MBP for gaming
shecky
Aug 17, 2006, 01:53 PM

i will be installing XP Home (i see no need for Pro) on my soon to be ordered macbook pro in order to do exactly one thing: games (stuff like HL2, Quake4, etc..)

in order to do this comfortably under bootcamp; whats the smallest i can realistically make my windows partition? i was planning on 10GB? i just want to be sure i allot as little room as i can to windows while still allowing me to install a few intense 3D games. im not sure how much room these games actually take up on the drive.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2006, 02:16 PM

10GB should be adequate for a few games along with Windows. I'd go for as much as 15 though, because sometimes those games' resources (and save game files!) get pretty darn big.

The only issue I see is whether or not the video system supports your chosen games. Read more in this forum about people's issues with this. It's not all sunshine and roses when it comes to games.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shecky  (op)
Aug 17, 2006, 02:42 PM

everything i am reading says HL2 runs like butter on a MBP so i am not worried. even if the other stuff runs adequately, thats fine with me. im not buying the machine for games, its just an added bonus

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2006, 02:43 PM

I did 20gb just to be safe. I currently have 12gb free with civ4 and a few other games installed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules