Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How long will an iMac Last?

How long will an iMac Last?
quiklee
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 02:58 PM

If just left in the office of my house for it's entire life. How long will it last? How long do you think technology will let it last?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2006, 03:04 PM

5 years? It depends on what you're using it for, really.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2006, 03:14 PM

10 - 20 years. People don't like throwing away their iMacs and these new Duo-Core systems are fast.

It always hard throwing away a Mac, even a Classic -people cringe at the thought. With a PC it basically declared junk -who want's a 386/486 anymore, but with a Mac there is always someone that will take it (even hoard it). Scary stuff.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2006, 03:26 PM

I have a SE/30 and a Mac Portable and I'll take them to the grave with me (if I get buried at sea, the weight of the portable alone will save them some lead).

It'll last at least five years, after that the screen may give out (flat panels live much shorter lives than CRTs), but you could still run an external monitor from it. In terms of running the "current" OS, assume at least three years (historically, it's been longer, but always assume the worst), but it'll run 10.4 and 10.5 fine as long as you want it to. It probably won't play "The Sims 5" all that well, but that may be more a blessing than a curse.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2006, 03:29 PM

these new Duo-Core systems are fast.
As fast as the '020 was?
As fast as the '030 was?
As fast as a Quadra, or as slow as a Centris?
As fast as a PowerPC 601, or a 603, or a 603e, or a 604 with dual burst cache?

Everything is fast when first we see it. Give my Workgroup Server 95 to a Multimedia Author today (who'd have killed for it back in the day) and they'll go pee pee in your cornflakes as soon as your back is turned.

I'm just glad I don't eat coco-pops.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2006, 03:41 PM

My Sawtooth G4 (originally 500MGz) is still my main computer. Although I've upgraded the hell out of it. I got it in 2000. I'm assuming the iMac will last at least as long, barring any malfunctions. And it all depends on what you use it for. The less processor intensive your tasks are, the longer it will last you.

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
My Sawtooth G4 (originally 500MGz) is still my main computer. Although I've upgraded the hell out of it. I got it in 2000. I'm assuming the iMac will last at least as long, barring any malfunctions. And it all depends on what you use it for. The less processor intensive your tasks are, the longer it will last you.
You forget that the Sawtooths are truly upgradeable - more so than nearly all the other Macs produced, apart from possibly the new Mac Pro (though the longevity of the FB-DIMMs is questionable).

Having said all that, there is a huge difference between how long it will last and how long you will want to keep it. Any Mac, should last a good 5 years, many are still running from the 80s - I have a Mac plus that runs fine, though the last time I booted it was about two years ago. But if you want to get a new Mac in 2-3 years, very few on this forum will blame you.

David.
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

indigoimac
Senior User
Sep 28, 2006, 05:59 PM

I still have a G3 iMac that is basically my main machine, it still runs strong and it's 5y/o, though I think that I will be replacing it very shortly just because I want a new 1.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2006, 10:17 AM

I still use my G3 iMac 400 almost on a daily basis. It still runs great and it's been over 6 years.

Beetleboy
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

Leonard
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2006, 03:10 PM

I still use my Powerbook G3 (pismo) after 6 years, so they can last several years or more. I have a Working Mac SE at home too, more of a conversation piece, though.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules