Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Core duo - Bulge above latch button

MBP Core duo - Bulge above latch button
mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 05:05 PM

Just noticed today that my 1.86 CD MBP has developed a bulge right above the latch button. 1-2mm) If you look at the top view, you can see it stick out.
Does anyone know if this is an issue that will affect (or eventually affect) the performance of the computer? I checked the battery, it is not bulging.

Also, will apple fix this minor cosmetic defect?
MBP 1.83

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 09:18 PM

It "developed"? Just to clarify, did it bulge because of a collision or because of heat? If it's because of a hit your MBP took they definately won't fix it for free. However, a number of people have reported bulges in the aluminum of the MBP due to heat warping the case. Will Apple fix it? It depends upon the personality of the employee that evaluates your computer. If you can convince them that this occurred as the result of normal use they might. My rev A MBP gets so hot after running 3D applications that I can't touch it without it being painful--like touching a hot pan. So far, the internals keep going but I expect the applecare I bought with this machine will eventually be used.

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 11:28 PM

I had several MBPs that came out of the box like that - new! So, it's a structural flaw. There's nothing to support that thin strip of metal and with pressure from above it simply pushes down on it and makes it bulge.

Apple is responsible for this and should repair it.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 11:37 PM

so it is caused by downward pressure and not pressure on the sides?
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2007, 04:03 AM

I've seen it on MBPs and 15" Al PBs. Some people claim there's came out of the box that way. Others claim heat can cause it. Personally, I've seen it happen on a MBP after its left rear corner was banged against a wall. The corner had no dent and the MBP still worked fine, but after the incident there was a bulge above the latch button. Obviously the Al case is very weak there because it's only a thin strip and it's not held down in any way either. If the case deforms for whatever reason, that's likely the place it will happen.

mhuie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2007, 12:09 AM

Yes, it just appeared. I've had it since August with no issue and never have dropped it nor has it been hit against anything.

It's a Rev A which has had its logic board replaced because of the whine, but it doesn't get too hot.
MBP 1.83

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by mhuie View Post
Just noticed today that my 1.86 CD MBP has developed a bulge right above the latch button. 1-2mm) If you look at the top view, you can see it stick out.
Does anyone know if this is an issue that will affect (or eventually affect) the performance of the computer? I checked the battery, it is not bulging.

Also, will apple fix this minor cosmetic defect?
No. And probably no to apple fixing it. If it started to affect the use of the computer then you could argue that, but currently I have seen about 1/3 of those computers with that issue. Don't worry about it and worry about great things.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

pete
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 07:50 AM

I think it's caused by the structural weakness of that spot, together with poor assembly. If the aluminum there is not perfectly aligned with the top case, when there is pressure from above on the sides (palmrests) or straight above (if it's not aligned, the pressure will still be from the side where it is aligned) it pushes the middle section out.

I had one that had just a little misalignment and when I pressed from above in front of the trackpad, it just popped out and buckled! I returned it on the spot, of course. If you look at the Apple store floor models, there are usually a few that have this too. When I returned it, they tried to say that they are all like that and that it's 'within spec', but I insisted and they eventually agreed to replace it for me. I can't believe that Apple would say that's within specifications when it so obviously is not.

Anyway, it's more looks than anything else. If you don't mind it aesthetically, I doubt it's going to cause any problems...

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2007, 09:36 PM

If it helps, my week old MBPro has this bulge since day 1 also. It doesn't bother me too much as I rarely notice it but it is there sadly.

Linux_insidev2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2007, 05:53 AM

My MBP 15" had this within 3 weeks of purchase,

The issue is caused by downward pressure, the weakest point is that bit above the latch so it buckles - coupled with the glue breaking away you have a bulge.

Apple should most definately repair this under warranty, however i just superglued mine.

Whether or not you get it fixed, NEVER hold the laptop with one hand on that side of the lid, if need be hold it at the hinge.

Never put excessive pressure just below the trackpad NEVER CARRY IT BY THAT PART!.

After following these precautions and gluing the fault has not reappeared for me.

Mike the Knife
Forum Regular
May 1, 2007, 09:51 AM

I'm showing signs of a very light bulge there, and I just got this MBP 2 weeks ago. It's barely noticeable now but I get the feeling it will grow.

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2007, 11:36 AM

I have had the same bulge on my Al 15" since it was a week old, it's now 3 yrs young. Tried having it fixed but it poped back out within a few hours of use, so i have just learn't to live with it. It doesn't affect the laptop in any way other than cosmetic.....but it can make opening the lid a little harder, i find i mave to get my finger nail under the buldge first to push the buton.
if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem!!!!

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 4, 2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry View Post
If it helps, my week old MBPro has this bulge since day 1 also. It doesn't bother me too much as I rarely notice it but it is there sadly.
Same here on my 2.33 C2D MBP. It runs fine, so I'd rather have the small buldge than have to worry about getting a faulty replacement.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 4, 2007, 09:15 PM

Is this different than the battery bulge issue?

Black_Rain
May 4, 2007, 09:22 PM

i've had this since its new..c2d mbp 15 ...noticed this the second i took it out of the box b/c i have big fingers and couldnt open it smoothly right away the first time.

I never really attributed it to being because of pressure or anything, but because of the manufacturing process. mine has not grown or shrank...it also has not been any problem at all...

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2007, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise View Post
Is this different than the battery bulge issue?
Yes. This concerns the small strip of aluminum between the latch button and the top of the lower case. It's a structural problem. It has nothing to do with the battery.

Ulrika Zugzwang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 02:25 PM

I have a 17" MacBook Pro that has the described bulge. The thin aluminum strip above the latch-release button bulges when under compression and retreats when under tension. So, if one pushes down just in front of the track pad it will bend the computer into a slight "u" shape. This in turn creates compression and tension on the top and bottom of the front side respectively, causing the aluminum strip to pop out. Flexing the computer the opposite way (inverted "u" shape) reverses the tension and compression on the front side and the aluminum strip is drawn inward.

From this, one can conclude that the top of the front side of the MacBook Pro is in continuous compression. That is, the MacBook Pro naturally wants to curl slightly upward in a "u" shape due to stresses which are a normal part of its mechanical design. Indeed, residual stresses are a normal part of the manufacturing process and are even used to strengthen objects.

If there is a flaw here, it's that the glue (assuming there was glue) applied to the aluminum strip failed. The solution? Glue it or live with it. I think of it as being more physics than a flaw.

~Ulrika~

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 5, 2007, 04:13 PM

Would any of you be able to post a photo of the latch bulge?

Ulrika Zugzwang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 04:43 PM

Here's a photo of the bulge from Flickr.

From this Flickr photo stream.

The bulge in this image is off to the left. (Possibly due to remaining glue on the right?) My bulge is centered and because it's distributed over the full length of the aluminum strip, it's a bit less extreme (~0.75 mm displacement).
( Last edited by Ulrika Zugzwang; May 5, 2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Updated the URL to point to a sharper image.)

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2007, 04:58 PM

My refurb came with the bulge. It is a speed bulge. Your MacBook Pro is now faster.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

explodingpickle.org
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 09:24 PM

The same thing happened with mine, it must have gotten pushed out by something. It definitely isn't related to a specific weakness in one area because mine was on the other side of the latch. Maybe Apple just doesn't check the latch before selling refurb computers. However Apple could have supported that part of it a little better.

mmn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 09:58 PM

I had the same problem and talked to someone at my Apple service point about it. They said this happens when the case is screwed together too tight at the sides.. Well, your case looks a little bit bigger than mine was, but well, who knows..

ecrelin
May 6, 2007, 10:25 AM

Ha, Apple fix it? I had a RAM problem on my 17" PB G4 that turned ou to be a bad daughterboard. When it returned from Warranty repair it had a bulge. I went through a couple months of back and forth and nada.
It has not affected the performance in any way for over two years.
Cheers…

plpete
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2007, 01:43 PM

I have the same bulge issue with my 15in MBP. I have spoken with apple and they sent me to a local computer store that is certified to work on macs. The guy told me that the bottom part of the case is not under the warranty. i called apple and brought it to their attention. i spoke with a tech guy and explained everything and told him the situation i had. After some convincing they said they will fix it. Honestly if i pay so much for a MBP i expect it to be in perfect condition and not form buldges for any reason.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 7, 2007, 09:55 AM

Add me to the list -my first MBP, a RevA CD-2.0GHz 15" had a warped lid but not the latch bulge. My second, a refurb 2.33GHz C2D 15" has a beautiful lid fit, but the latch bulge is there. I'm calling it a "sleep-latch safety" - it keeps the latch from opening inadvertantly. Guess that's a "good thing". Especially since that's the only cosmetic defect on an otherwise perfect Mac.

Z

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2007, 10:30 AM

Stretching occurs to varying degrees when the hole is punched into the lower case during the fabrication process. The age of the die, speed of the cut and temperature all have effects. It varies. It can also be stretched during assembly.

Although I see it, I do not let it ruin my day.

aehaas

serranot
Forum Regular
May 13, 2007, 06:31 AM

I have had my C2D MBP since November when they first came out. Since I noticed this thread, I looked at my computer and I too indeed have the bulge. Yeah, it bothers me that it's there, but the MBP is just so good in other ways, I'm just going to let it go. I can see how gluing would be difficult and I would end up with unsightly glue there. It is not an issue at all.

Regards,
Tom
T-bob

Forum Links
Forum Rules