Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My computer came back from repair with worse problems than it originally had

My computer came back from repair with worse problems than it originally had
Heymbit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: The Greatest Country In History: The United States Of America
Feb 8, 2008, 10:11 PM

The SuperDrive in my iMac (C2D 2.16ghz, 2gigs Ram, 250gig harddrive (model right before the new slim ones) stopped working. Well, I have the applecare protection plan, so I sent my computer in for repair. It came back, and my apple remote no longer works with the iMac (it works with my iPod's universal dock). Also, when I try to use photobooth and iChat, it doesn't recognize the build in isight. As such, I think Apple really screwed up (I did sent it through an apple store) my repair, however I want to know if it's possible for me to fix it, as right now they're official repair service is really ticking me off.
An Apple A Day Keeps The Spyware Away

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2008, 10:21 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of AppleDoesn'tCare. It's unlikely you're going to fix it yourself for free. Send it in again and see if they fix it. After the third or fourth time they'll just give you a new one.

Cold Warrior
Feb 8, 2008, 10:57 PM

Don't put up with a second of it. Keep sending it back until you have a 100% working computer -- either until Apple fixes it or they send you a new one. Any minor problems now just mean bigger problems later, not even counting the ones you can't see.

Heymbit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2008, 12:16 AM

k. Thank you for the support. I've made an appointment at my local apple store's genius bar on Monday (and hope to get it back Friday)

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2008, 07:24 AM

Before you do you could save yourself a trip and several days without your computer by trying a simple bit of troubleshooting:

Re-set the power management (shutdown the computer, unplug the power cord for five minutes plus then plug it back in and restart) - it could be that the USB bus (which is what powers all the components you listed; i.e. the iSight, IR receiver and probably your bluetooth module as well) needs to be kicked back into life. If that doesn't solve the problem, then take it in to the Apple Store as it probably means that they didn't re-attach a cable.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2008, 09:12 AM

Have you tried re-synchronizing your Apple IR remote to your iMac?

Wow, that is some sloppy work. Did you take it to a Retail store or an independent Apple Service Provider? Either way, untested or incomplete reassembly is unacceptable.

If the built in iSight and microphone aren't working, it is likely that the two cables at the top of the face bezel were not connected. When the case goes back together, that is the final step.

When you go back, demand that they run Apple Service Diagnostic on it, along with verify that the camera cables were connected. If your machine was delivered to you as an incomplete repair, make absolutely sure you let a manager and Apple know. Us service providers are graded on our service excellence -- Apple takes note and weeds out the sloppy techs.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2008, 09:42 AM

Did you check the System Profiler if the iSight and IR Receiver are recognized by the system ?

-t

Heymbit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Did you check the System Profiler if the iSight and IR Receiver are recognized by the system ?

-t
I don't see them there. I have to send the computer in for another reason (I sent it in to repair the DVD drive. It's acting funny X_X)

I'll just include this as part of the report, let them handle it ^_^. I paid for applecare, so I want my money's worth.

Thanks to everyone hear for your help and support.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2008, 04:07 AM

AppleCare breaking stuff during repair is why i've received 2 replacement powerbooks and 2 replacement MBPs over the last 4 years. AppleCare sometimes does a really, really crappy job. the worst was when they dropped my 1 GHz tibook: they had the temerity to ship my machine back with the carbon fiber border shattered and the machine only booting about half the time. it wasn't shipping damage because, one, the box was in perfect shape, and two, there was a fragment of the case on top of the packaging, under the cardboard flap. pretty sad, eh? don't hesitate to email His Royal Steveness at [email protected] with your story, if they don't take care of you. just be firm but polite. it's a monitored address, and both times i've emailed a description of my issues to that address, i've been contacted by an Apple VP the next day.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules