Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > A CSS question and editor recommendations

A CSS question and editor recommendations
Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2003, 05:11 AM

I've got a problem with CSS. Different lenght texts and image floating are giving me problems. See the url for an example and some screenshots. I think they are quite self explanatory

http://pww.evtek.fi/~janiatt/css/

Then another question. Is there a Homesite clone for OS X? I've been using HS for three years and am hooked. I really like the file menus on the left, etc. Makes it easy for me to add images, etc. to the source without leaving the application window. I tried Googling, but could not find anything like that.

Thanks!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2003, 09:30 AM

Add clear:left into your .thumb rules. That should fix the problem you're seeing. This doesn't replace float:left; you need both in order to get the effect you want.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2003, 09:57 AM

Its not 100% homesite but pretty darn close:

jedit.org

You will want to add these plugins: BufferTabs, Clipper, SpellCheck, WhiteSpace, and the file browser plugin. Then set them to dock on the left side (except for BufferTabs, throw that on the bottom). Then you will be mostly there.

Good luck!

calimehtar
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2003, 07:57 PM

Alternatively, make an empty div class="clear" and then define div.clear {clear: both; height: 1px ... etc}. Insert this div after every block of content.

There is an important css property, IMO, missing in css level 2 -- clear-after -- which will fix the problem you're having and is currently part of the level 3 draft. The above hack makes a nice substitute.

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2003, 02:30 AM

Millenium, Calimehtar

Thanks. With the clear:left and some tweaking (border on top, top & bottom margins for the image, etc.) I got it working. Thanks!

MaxPower

jEdit seems very interesting. I've just had a chance to start fooling around with it. I downloaded all the plugins separately only to notice the plugin manager. Works like a charm Thanks to you too!

ameat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower:
Its not 100% homesite but pretty darn close:

jedit.org

You will want to add these plugins: BufferTabs, Clipper, SpellCheck, WhiteSpace, and the file browser plugin. Then set them to dock on the left side (except for BufferTabs, throw that on the bottom). Then you will be mostly there.

Good luck!
i second this suggestions...and am a recent convert from using homesite (since the version i have doesn't support the now mandatory sftp protocol enforced by my web host). for other plugins to check out, look at the ftp plug, clipper, and viminator (though this last one doesn't work too well yet, but if you're into vi...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules