Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > MySQL 4.0.14 standard binary installer rotten?

MySQL 4.0.14 standard binary installer rotten?
Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2003, 07:42 PM

I tried installing a fresh copy of MySQL 4.0.14 with the installer. I followed the instructions from entropy.ch. Everything went fine, but I ended up having a major problem. I could not change the root password.

Whenever I tried to "/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password new_password_here" I kept getting the following error: "ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)" I tried installing it a few times, but I always ended up with the same problem.

Finally I downloaded the max binary installer and boom. It works.

So do you think there's a flaw in the standard installer? What is the difference between it and the max installer, anyway?

And yes, I'm a MySQL novice

------8<----------------------------
Edit:

"The Max version includes additional features such as the Berkeley DB storage engine and other features that have not been exhaustively tested or are not required for general usage, such as user-defined functions (UDFs), and BIG_TABLE support"
( Last edited by Nerozwei; Jul 23, 2003 at 07:55 PM. )

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2003, 08:37 PM

you need to start mysqladmin with: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p
it will prompt you for the password
(you forgot the -p specifying the password, once you have started mysqladmin you can execute the change password command)

well, at least you got it work

--will

Forum Links
Forum Rules