Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Toddler dead, then alive again

Toddler dead, then alive again
macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2003, 03:39 PM

Read:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/11/0....ap/index.html

Makes me wonder. What's going to happen to the doctor who pronounced the child dead? Obviously a GIANT malpractice case on that doctor's hands. Possibly neglegence (for a child to be breathing, means there was a pulse)... and in a young child (20 months), the pulse is typically faster than that of an adult... while harder to hear in an infant... with an infant unconcious, should be easy to find.

Something sounds very wrong with that rescue. Someone screwed up very badly.

I just hope that kid didn't suffer brain damage as a result of it all.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Nov 8, 2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
Someone screwed up very badly.
Yeah...the parents.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 8, 2003, 07:21 PM

You're not dead until you're warm and dead.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2003, 09:08 PM

Children do seem to have the ability to survive this kind of siituation. The water temperature must have been low enough to put the child into suspended animation. Thereby being able with withstand the loss of oxygen for that period of time without apparent damage. The power of prayer works.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cipher13
Nov 8, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Children do seem to have the ability to survive this kind of siituation. The water temperature must have been low enough to put the child into suspended animation. Thereby being able with withstand the loss of oxygen for that period of time without apparent damage. The power of prayer works.
Suspended animation? Eh, doesn't quite work like that, I wouldn't think.

The power of prayer? The power of prayer had nothing to do with this.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
If the water is cold, which it appears it was in this case, the body can slow down its internal functions, in order to survive. I assume this is what you meant.

This is a medical issue; prayer has nothing to do with it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 9, 2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Suspended animation? Eh, doesn't quite work like that, I wouldn't think.

The power of prayer? The power of prayer had nothing to do with this.
Thanks for your informative reply.

I think what he meant was the body's metabolism slows down. And a child's physiology allows for this situation to occur. They can be "suspended" for a greater period of time in cold temps than an adult.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2003, 01:00 AM

My band played at a party several years ago where a kid fell in the pool and drowned-- with people sitting all around, and other kids swimming. No one noticed. No one was appointed to keep an eye on the kid. It was a bad, bad day for everyone, especialy the kid.

Swimming pools and toddlers don't mix. Especially Swimming pools and toddlers with stupid parents. I hope that kid lives, and isn't brain-damaged, but unfortunately, this is an all-too-common, and entirely avoidable cause of death amongst children.

Don't get me going on *diots who leave loaded pistols laying around.

WATCH OUT FOR YOUR F*CKING KIDS!

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
[B
Makes me wonder. What's going to happen to the doctor who pronounced the child dead? Obviously a GIANT malpractice case on that doctor's hands. Possibly neglegence (for a child to be breathing, means there was a pulse)... and in a young child (20 months), the pulse is typically faster than that of an adult... while harder to hear in an infant... with an infant unconcious, should be easy to find.

Something sounds very wrong with that rescue. Someone screwed up very badly.

I just hope that kid didn't suffer brain damage as a result of it all. [/B]
It is not necessarily OBVIOUS...

When it comes to hypothermia, the phrase �No one is dead until they're warm and dead" is often used by trauma teams. If a "universally accepted" protocol was used to determine death after hypothermia (usually a core body temp of 32 deg C for over 30 minutes), AND the patient fit the usual criteria for death, then it is not the doctor's fault that the patient after rewarming began to resume spontaneous breathing.

And the baby could have had no pulse or breathing at the time death was pronounced, but over time, as the body rewarmed, breathing/pulse may have returned.

That being said, if the proper procedures and protocols were not used, then a "giant malpractice case" would of course warranted.

(added) Not knowing the whole story of the resuscitation efforts and the details involved, makes it difficult to say if someone "screwed up badly".

Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
This is a medical issue; prayer has nothing to do with it.
This isn't a thread about religion, so I won't flame you. I'd merely like to point out that that is your opinion, not a fact.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

hayesk
Nov 9, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
This isn't a thread about religion, so I won't flame you. I'd merely like to point out that that is your opinion, not a fact.
Unless you have 100% understanding of the situation, and of medical science, you are not in the position to say it is not a fact either.

All evidence points to standard medical science. But feel free to point out his mistake in believing that.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Unless you have 100% understanding of the situation, and of medical science, you are not in the position to say it is not a fact either.

All evidence points to standard medical science. But feel free to point out his mistake in believing that.
I didn't mean that medical science did nothing. Nor did I mean that it's a certainty that prayer saved the kid - I don't even know if prayer was involved.

I just objected to someone saying that prayer definitely had nothing to do with it. How do you know? You can't prove it either way, so it comes down to your personal beliefs.

(I really did not mean to derail this thread. I think I posted kinda impulsively before. Sorry!)

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2003, 03:22 PM

Remember last week, when the doo-doo hit the fan over religion? That's not starting again. Discuss the topic at hand, and let the prayer thing be. If wdlove wants to think prayer helped, and Karl doesn't, that's fine. There is no reason to debate it here, as that's not the topic.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2003, 08:39 PM

Actually, cooling body temperature to decrease body metabolism works quite well. It is used for certain medical procedures.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2003, 02:45 AM

i was watching a psecial on one of the learning channels, they said that the human body DOES have hibernation abilities, though somewhat limited
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Cipher13
Nov 10, 2003, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Thanks for your informative reply.

I think what he meant was the body's metabolism slows down. And a child's physiology allows for this situation to occur. They can be "suspended" for a greater period of time in cold temps than an adult.
I'm well aware of what "suspended animation" implies.

The extent to which this would have occurred though... well. Supposedly it was an hour later that he revived, right? How cold was the water?

Very doubtful that it would have had THAT much of an effect.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 04:18 AM

I'm well aware of what "suspended animation" implies.

The extent to which this would have occurred though... well. Supposedly it was an hour later that he revived, right? How cold was the water?

Very doubtful that it would have had THAT much of an effect.

There was one case in 1988 where a 2 year old girl survived after cold water submersion for 66 minutes. At the time, that was the longest ever recorded.

Cipher13
Nov 10, 2003, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
There was one case in 1988 where a 2 year old girl survived after cold water submersion for 66 minutes. At the time, that was the longest ever recorded.
How cold was that water? Sure, if you fell through ice into very cold water... but in the case of falling into a backyard pool? I don't know how cold that water would have been, but not THAT cold.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 04:27 AM

How cold was that water? Sure, if you fell through ice into very cold water... but in the case of falling into a backyard pool? I don't know how cold that water would have been, but not THAT cold.
19 degrees C

Forum Links
Forum Rules