Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > dust behind the iPods screen?

dust behind the iPods screen?
EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 02:40 PM

i looked at my 2 month old generation 3 ipod a few minutes ago, and i noticed that there is now dust (i'm assuming its dust), in the form of 3 largish white specs, under the screen. these weren't there this morning when i put my ipod on my belt. has anyone else had this, and do you know if apple will fix it? it really bothers me. i had a jornada PocketPC that had a dust problem, and HP fixed it without any questions. i'm aware that with an mp3 player the screen isn't as important as on a PDA, but this is irritating. i wouldn't expect such an expensive machine, in 2004, to have a dust problem.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2004, 03:32 PM

That's very strange. I don't see how dust could get under the screen, unless you had opened the iPod up at some point. Are you sure they aren't dead pixels?

EdipisReks  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 03:44 PM

the ipod has not been opened, and you can tell that the spots are between the lcd itself and the clear casing, so i don't believe that they are dead pixel. i've noticed that the casing has developed enough play that you can actual feel to the two case components moving if you flex the unit slightly. i think that the dust may have gotten in because of this.
16 GB iPhone

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2004, 05:05 PM

Yikes! Sounds like a faulty unit to me. I'd go to your local Apple Store (if you have one) and get it exchanged. It'll probably only get worse with use.

EdipisReks  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 06:56 PM

i'll take it to the apple store. i managed to get apple to replace a HIGHLY faulty 1 ghz tibook with a brand new 1.25 ghz albook, so i should be able to get this thing replaced. thanks.
16 GB iPhone

ryju
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2004, 07:26 PM

Does anyone know where one might get replaceable iPod shells? As in the exterior is all scratched up but if you take the iPod apart and just replace the Apple casing it would be like a rebirth!

EdipisReks  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2004, 08:14 PM

i would suggest getting some acrylic polish, tot take care of the scratches. i doubt you'll be able to get case components.
16 GB iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules