Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook & Lacie D2 FW HD booting

iBook & Lacie D2 FW HD booting
Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 01:16 PM

Yes, another FireWire booting thread. Did the search here & with Google + did not get any help from Lacie support.

I recently purchased a triple interface (FW800, FW400, USB2) Lacie D2 drive (250GB, Lacie part number 300718). The drive works fine, but I can not boot off it. If I try to boot off it the blue activity light flashes on and off forever and ever... According to Lacie the drive should be bootable. I'm on an iBook G3 700MHz using FW 400.

Has anyone been able to boot off this drive?

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Nerozwei:
Yes, another FireWire booting thread. Did the search here & with Google + did not get any help from Lacie support.

I recently purchased a triple interface (FW800, FW400, USB2) Lacie D2 drive (250GB, Lacie part number 300718). The drive works fine, but I can not boot off it. If I try to boot off it the blue activity light flashes on and off forever and ever... According to Lacie the drive should be bootable. I'm on an iBook G3 700MHz using FW 400.

Has anyone been able to boot off this drive?
EDIT: Could it be that the drive is only bootable using the FW800 connectors? If so, is it possible to get a 8pin-to-6pin connector and use the drive at 400Mbit?

arclight
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 04:20 PM

I have the 120GB D2 and it boots just fine. The only difference is that I don't have the FW800 interface. How did you install OS X on the drive? All I did was use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my original HD to the D2. Can you boot up in verbose mode to see what's going on? Hold command+V when booting and see what the console says-
---------------------------------------

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 09:23 PM

Does it show up in the Startup Disk System Preferences?

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 12:21 AM

Thanks for your replys!

Arclight,

That's what I thought too when I bought this drive. Also read that somebody has had success booting of this triple interface model. He appears to use an AlBook and probably booted off FW800 instead of FW400. I tried CCC, make bootable. Also thought of a fresh install, but could not select the partitions on the D2. Only my internal disk was 'valid'. Command V did nothing, but that's probably because it does not even load the damn OS
--

Supah,

The disc shows up in Startup Disks. I can select it, no problem. But if I boot holding down option key I don't get the FW partitions visible there.
--

The more I think it seems that the drive is just not recognized during boot. What about partitioning? I've got a NTFS and a FAT32 partition on this drive, too. Could they cause problems?

I'm leaning more and more to the option that this thing is not bootable using the FW400 port.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 06:29 AM

Not to burst theory bubble, but Lacie, triple interface through FW400 booting 10.2.8 was no issue to me.

I would investigate the FAT32 partition theory more. I was going to do this but the troubles were too high for the rewards, and went the MacDrive option instead.

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by _?_:
Not to burst theory bubble, but Lacie, triple interface through FW400 booting 10.2.8 was no issue to me.

I would investigate the FAT32 partition theory more. I was going to do this but the troubles were too high for the rewards, and went the MacDrive option instead.
On the contrary, I'm happy that you burst the bubble Now I just need to backup my stuff (the D2 is still quite empty) to my iBook G4 and start dancing the formatting rumba...

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 10:37 PM

I haven't booted from it in awhile, and have since cloned it to be Panther .3

Will do a quick check to make sure all is well right now.....

arclight
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 11:47 PM

I'm not positive, but I believe OS X needs to be installed on the first 8GB of the drive. Is your OS X partition the first partition? Just a hunch-

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 29, 2004, 02:36 AM

That limitation is only for beige G3's and tray-loading CRT iMacs, none of which have FireWire.

tooki

arclight
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
That limitation is only for beige G3's and tray-loading CRT iMacs, none of which have FireWire.

tooki
That's where I remember that from. I had an 8600 I Xpostfacto'ed to OS X and had that problem. Sorry for the misinformation-

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 09:22 PM

Well this thread highlighted a problem I had!

Never have multiple OS's on a partition (I had a clone of my Jag system, as well as a clone of my current system sitting in one partition).

Once I cleaned out and re-cloned Panther to the HD, I had no issues booting from it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules