Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ClarisWorks (Mac) to MS Office (PC)?

ClarisWorks (Mac) to MS Office (PC)?
SSebeny
Dec 12, 2000, 01:04 PM

Hello,
I have a guidence councelor at school who has a huge stack of Mac floppies with ClarisWorks documents on them. (Please set all Platform wars aside for a moment.) I have been asked to convert all the documents for her to MS Office 97 documents. Is there a (hopefully shareware) application that will do this automatically? Can anyone point me to any reseources or anything I might need to know before I undertake this task? Thanks a lot!

-----
Stephen M. Sebeny
[email protected]
-----
Stephen M. Sebeny
[email protected]

ekoelbel
Dec 12, 2000, 02:37 PM

I only know of MacLinkPlus, by DataViz.

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2000, 05:08 PM

Another (cheaper) option might be to save the ClarisWorks documents as either text or .rtf and then open them in MS Office. The question there would be, how important is the formatting? If it's pretty much straight text, that would probably work. If there is a lot more formatting involved (lines, boxes, or anything else), it might not serve your purpose.

anonymous
Dec 16, 2000, 02:28 PM

As a PC user, I have a client that emails me ClarisWorks files, and I've found that Star Office will open pretty much anything, including ClarisWorks files. From there, if needed, I can save to a .doc format. You might give that a shot.

ricky fr.
Dec 27, 2000, 10:47 AM

You may want to try Conversions Plus on the PC side of the house...I think DataViz makes it, it converts most any Mac file to Wintel readable formats. Been a lifesaver for me!

Gregg
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2000, 11:13 AM

I thought MacLink Plus was a one-way app; Word/Windows to Mac only. Is that wrong?

You could always e-mail the Claris files to yourself as e-mail messages (with copy and paste) rather than as attachments, then paste the text into Word on the Wintel machine. Formatting might be wacky though.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

ekoelbel
Dec 27, 2000, 11:25 AM

Gregg - maclinkplus can translate either way. pretty useful app....

Gregg
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2000, 10:15 AM

Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2000, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Indigo Boy:
Another (cheaper) option might be to save the ClarisWorks documents as either text or .rtf and then open them in MS Office. The question there would be, how important is the formatting? If it's pretty much straight text, that would probably work. If there is a lot more formatting involved (lines, boxes, or anything else), it might not serve your purpose.
Go with RTF - its your easiest option.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules