Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External hard drive refuses to mount

External hard drive refuses to mount
Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2004, 09:58 PM

I have an external hard drive that I've been using for almost a year now. Anyway, I was in the middle of transferring a large file from the external HD to my internal HD when the system froze up on me entirely, forcing me to do a hard restart. On reboot the external HD (which is connected via USB 1.1 at the moment...ech) refused to mount, and when I tried to repair it using Disk Utility (I'm on 10.2.8 here) it said the following, and, as far as I can tell, didn't succeed in changing anything.

Repairing disk "Achenar".
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Overlapped extent allocation (file 347068d)
Overlapped extent allocation (file 347313d)
Overlapped extent allocation (file 359771d)
Overlapped extent allocation (file 355045d)
Keys out of order
Rebuilding Catalog B-tree.
The volume Achenar could not be repaired.
Repair completed.

Any idea what happened? I mean, although I'm pretty uninformed, I'd guess that I ruined the catalogue structure of my HD somehow, and I was wondering if there was any way to fix it. I do have an old copy of Norton SystemWorks, but Norton products have always been a last resort for me, so I'd rather come to you guys first and see if you had any ideas before I go and try SystemWorks.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules