Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! My PowerBook won't recognize blank optical media!

Help! My PowerBook won't recognize blank optical media!
EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2005, 11:57 PM

i was having problems burning dvd-r's over the weekend with my 1.5 ghz PowerBook (it has a UJ-825 drive), and now my machine doesn't recognize any disk, whether cd or dvd. the disk spin for about a minute, but they never mount on the desktop. toast 6 recognizes the disk, but it fails about half way through a burn. a dvd+r got mixed up in my media bag last week, which is the only thing that i can think of might affected the drive, as it doesn't have dvd+r support. the +r did burn properly, however. i've zapped the pram and repaired permissions, neither of which helped. anyone have any ideas short of calling apple?
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

EdipisReks  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2005, 12:10 AM

i just tried resetting the PMU, which was suggested in another forum. it didn't help.
16 GB iPhone

jaxxe
Jan 12, 2005, 08:49 AM

I had a similar problem a while back, where blank media wouldn't mount on the desktop. I went to Finder preferences and found that somehow (have no idea how) item "CDs, DVDs and iPods" wasn't checked, therefore wouldn't show up on the desktop. BTW, Toast did recognize the disks. If you haven't checked this out, please do so. I hope it is something as simple as this... Good luck!

Originally posted by EdipisReks:
i was having problems burning dvd-r's over the weekend with my 1.5 ghz PowerBook (it has a UJ-825 drive), and now my machine doesn't recognize any disk, whether cd or dvd. the disk spin for about a minute, but they never mount on the desktop. toast 6 recognizes the disk, but it fails about half way through a burn. a dvd+r got mixed up in my media bag last week, which is the only thing that i can think of might affected the drive, as it doesn't have dvd+r support. the +r did burn properly, however. i've zapped the pram and repaired permissions, neither of which helped. anyone have any ideas short of calling apple?
24" iMac (Intel) / G4 15" PB; 1.5Ghz / G4 12" PB; 867Mhz
AGP Graphics G4 Desktop; 350Mhz
5G - 30 Gigabyte iPod / 4G - 40 Gigabyte iPod / 1G - 5 Gigabyte iPod
Airport Extreme / Airport Express /
iSight

EdipisReks  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 12:07 PM

argh, i went ahead and migrated to a new account last night (which fixed the problem), so i have no idea if that is what happened. i wish i had known about that first, as it sounds like it may very well have been what was wrong. i'll remember that if anything like this happens again. thanks!
16 GB iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules