Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bash Login & Non-Login Shells, Profile, & RC files

Bash Login & Non-Login Shells, Profile, & RC files
SSebeny
Aug 10, 2005, 06:24 AM

message deleted

(there should be a delete post option somewhere!)
( Last edited by SSebeny; Aug 10, 2005 at 06:55 AM. )

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 04:09 PM

Aw, come on, this sounded interesting...
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

SSebeny  (op)
Aug 10, 2005, 04:52 PM

I was following the instructions in the Xcode 2.1 user guide to set-up subversion. The instructions said to add some commands to edit the $PATH to the ~/.profile file. I did so, but my $PATH wasn't changing. Turns out it was because I already had a ~/.bash_login file, and bash ignores profile if the other file is present. So I had posted a lengthy message with all kinds of questions about login vs. non-login shells, and the profile and rc files. But then I figured out the problem, so I deleted the message.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by SSebeny
I was following the instructions in the Xcode 2.1 user guide to set-up subversion. The instructions said to add some commands to edit the $PATH to the ~/.profile file. I did so, but my $PATH wasn't changing. Turns out it was because I already had a ~/.bash_login file, and bash ignores profile if the other file is present. So I had posted a lengthy message with all kinds of questions about login vs. non-login shells, and the profile and rc files. But then I figured out the problem, so I deleted the message.
You should just reply to your original message, and answer your own questions. It's a lot more helpful to come across those kinds of threads in the future, say when someone stumbles across a thread on a google search...

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules