Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac to HDTV Plasma/LCD

PowerMac to HDTV Plasma/LCD
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 12:06 AM

I have a PowerMac G4 667Mhz and wish to use it to present HD content on a Plasma HD Ready TV. The G4 has 1GB RAM, and the original ADC/VGA Video card. What is the best way to use the original card to send the HD to the Plasma or what type of video card should I purchase to best do this? I understand I can only view 720p content due to its slow processor but its better than nothing. Any help would be appreciated. I also plan to get a Dual Core or Intel PowerMac in the future. I understand I can use the DVI to HDMI connector for this card, is that corrrect? Will the new Dual PowerMac Dual Core be able to pump out 1080i to a Plasma or LCD HDTV?

Steve
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2005, 01:15 AM

Use an ADC-DVI adapter. If your plasma has a DVI port, you're set. If it only has HDMI, then you'll need a DVI-HDMI adapter.
Your PowerMac G4 should be able to display 1080i on the plasma without any problems... but to play HD and/or H.264 content, you'll need something faster.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Use an ADC-DVI adapter. If your plasma has a DVI port, you're set. If it only has HDMI, then you'll need a DVI-HDMI adapter.
Your PowerMac G4 should be able to display 1080i on the plasma without any problems... but to play HD and/or H.264 content, you'll need something faster.

Nah it doesnt even come close to playing the 1080i...the 720 is okay....the 420 non HD plays perfect.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2005, 11:23 PM

Note I said display, not play.
Your graphics card can push that many pixels, but your CPU may not be able to decode movies fast enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules