Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MS Office 98 & 2001

MS Office 98 & 2001
SSebeny
Dec 29, 2000, 02:12 PM

Hi,
I have a B&W G3/400, with 320megs of RAM, running OS 9. I have been using Office 98 since I got the machine, and I just installed Office 2001 tonight without removing 98 first. When I open 2001 it runs fine, but it takes FOREVER to load, like over a minute to launch Word! I can still launch 98 fast as ever. Is there a reason for this? If I remove 98 will it help? I checked the MS webpage, and they have a utility for removing 98, but they say you can use 98 and 2001 at the same time with no problems. Anyone else experiance this? Let me know, thanks!
-----
Stephen M. Sebeny
[email protected]

starbreez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2000, 07:59 AM

Hallo,
had the same problem as well, and only muddled my way to solving it by deleting excel/powerpoint/entourage. i think the startup screen for word2001 spends a lot of time loading applications from these progs.
hope this helps.

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2001, 09:13 PM

I would try and reinstall Office 2001 with the extension off as it may be loading Office 98 libs and extensions. Also, if you have a great amount of fonts open, Office will take time to load because it is optimizing the font menu. Perhaps turning off WYSIWYG in the prferences will help by not building the database to view the type faces. I hope this helps a bit, it has me...

Forum Links
Forum Rules