Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Kerry campaing responses to bush speech...

Kerry campaing responses to bush speech...
Lerkfish
Sep 3, 2004, 09:23 AM

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=35620

George Bush gave this speech in 2000. Does he think we haven't been paying attention for the last four years-- He has not focused on job training or health care - but cut job training and stood by as health care costs have soared by 50 percent.

EDUCATION

BUSH STATEMENT: "So we will double the number of people served by our principal job training program and increase funding for community colleges. I know that with the right skills, American workers can compete with anyone, anywhere in the world."

-- REALITY: Bush has lumped four employment training programs into a single block grant, cutting overall funding for job training by $151 million. Bush also tried to cut overall vocational education by $316 million. (House Budget Committee Democratic Caucus, 2/6/04)

BUSH STATEMENT: "As we make progress, we will require a rigorous exam before graduation. By raising performance in our high schools, and expanding Pell grants for low and middle income families, we will help more Americans start their career with a college diploma."

-- REALITY: Under George Bush, one-third of American students have been allowed to drop out of high school. Under NCLB, states must report graduation rates for all high school students and show improvement or success in high school graduation rates. The Bush administration has failed to enforce these provisions. Bush broke a 2000 promise to increase the maximum Pell Grant to $5,100, is proposing to eliminate the LEAP program that provided over a billion in federal and state assistance to students in 2000 and cutting $100 million in Perkins Loans. (Education Week, 7/28/04; Harvard Civil Rights Project, 2/04; College Board, College Costs 2003; Bush Speech in Hampton, New Hampshire, 8/30/00; House Budget Committee Democratic Caucus, 2/6/04; National Association of State Student Grant and Aid Programs, 3/03)

HEALTH CARE

BUSH STATEMENT: "I brought Republicans and Democrats together to strengthen Medicare. Now seniors are getting immediate help buying medicine. Soon every senior will be able to get prescription drug coverage, and nothing will hold us back."

-- REALITY: The Bush Medicare bill was a windfall for the pharmaceutical industry: A study by a professor at Boston University's School of Public Health estimates that the industry will receive an additional $139 billion in profits from the bill. By not allowing drug importation or price negotiation the bill guarantees high profits for the industry. (AdvancePCS, 8/25/03; Medicare Rights Center, 11/14/03)

BUSH STATEMENT: "We will offer a tax credit to encourage small businesses and their employees to set up health savings accounts, and provide direct help for low-income Americans to purchase them. These accounts give workers the security of insurance against major illness, the opportunity to save tax-free for routine health expenses, and the freedom of knowing you can take your account with you whenever you change jobs. And we will provide low-income Americans with better access to health care: In a new term, I will ensure every poor county in America has a community or rural health center."

-- REALITY: Health Savings Accounts will benefit the wealthy and raise health care costs for many. The people remaining in comprehensive coverage are more expensive to insure, driving their premiums higher. Some employers will choose this new option to drop health insurance for their employees while others will reduce their contribution. Independent estimates suggest HSAs will leave more than 1.4 million workers currently insured without coverage. (Journal of the American Medical Association, 6/5/96; Urban Institute, April 1996; American Academy of Actuaries, May 1995; Consumers Union, 8/10/00; Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, 5/10/04)
the whole article is a must-read.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
George Bush gave this speech in 2000. Does he think we haven't been paying attention for the last four years-- He has not focused on job training or health care - but cut job training and stood by as health care costs have soared by 50 percent.
I haven't seen one proposal addressing any of these issues by Democrats. Instead, the Dems have spent the last 3 years bitching and complaining.

Furthermore, of the Bush initiatives that have come through, almost all have been overwhelmingly passed by Democrats as well as Republicans.

I'd much prefer the liberal left actually do something for this nation instead of spending all their time whining, planning protests, and trying to convince the nation that souplines are gathered around every corner.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 09:55 AM

It's not an article, Lerk, it's a news release, there is a difference.

I didn't have to wait for the Kerry Camp to respond to know their responses. Everything Bush proposes is a boon to big oil, big insurance and rich people...

I also noticed that they made no mention of Bush's suggestions of tort reform, probably because if they can avoid the topic, they will. But I can guess which side John Edwards is on.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
I'd much prefer the liberal left actually do something for this nation instead of spending all their time whining, planning protests, and trying to convince the nation that souplines are gathered around every corner.

I have yet to hear how John plans to fix all this he claims is wrong. Just "Bush is bad, and I will fix it" With no plan.

The guy wants to be Bush now. Claiming to be one of conservative values.

AAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHA

Bush even made a joke about it last night.

I can't believe Kerry thinks America will buy that tripe.

dcolton
Banned
Sep 3, 2004, 09:58 AM

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=35620

I quit reading after the claim was made that 1 out of 3 American High School students drop out. I highly doubt the validity of that statement.

-- REALITY: Under George Bush, one-third of American students have been allowed to drop out of high school.
I just don't believe this 'reality'

Lerkfish  (op)
Sep 3, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
It's not an article, Lerk, it's a news release, there is a difference.

I didn't have to wait for the Kerry Camp to respond to know their responses. Everything Bush proposes is a boon to big oil, big insurance and rich people...

I also noticed that they made no mention of Bush's suggestions of tort reform, probably because if they can avoid the topic, they will. But I can guess which side John Edwards is on.
I clearly stated it was from the Kerry campaign.....reading comprehension much?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 10:15 AM

Bush seems to have pulled that bit about poverty being lower off his website since the Census Stats were released.

Guess he just had 'false intelegence' again.

dcolton
Banned
Sep 3, 2004, 10:18 AM

Will someone please address my question about the claim that 1 out of 3 HS students dropped out of HS under Bush. I find it to be highly suspect, but, if it is true, I will have to reevaluate who I plan to vote for.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 10:20 AM

I clearly stated it was from the Kerry campaign.....reading comprehension much?
You called it an article, which is to be taken as more factual than a press release. All I was saying is that you should call it what it is.

Condescending much?

P.S. Before you edit it, take another look at what you wrote:

Sure, the title says it is the Kerry campaing (sic) responses - that doesn't mean that you don't imply an air of truth to every response they have...

Lerkfish  (op)
Sep 3, 2004, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
You called it an article, which is to be taken as more factual than a press release. All I was saying is that you should call it what it is.

Condescending much?

P.S. Before you edit it, take another look at what you wrote:

Sure, the title says it is the Kerry campaing (sic) responses - that doesn't mean that you don't imply an air of truth to every response they have...
LOL!

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 10:37 AM

Yeah I lolled too. Probably for different reasons.

You do have a habit of editing out things you say but later regret.

Sometimes you even delete whole threads of your own posts.

But then again, if I had posted some of the stuff you had, I probably would too.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 10:47 AM

LOL!
That's exactly what I did when I read Kerry's responses.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by dcolton:
Will someone please address my question about the claim that 1 out of 3 HS students dropped out of HS under Bush. I find it to be highly suspect, but, if it is true, I will have to reevaluate who I plan to vote for.
If this were the case, it would be all over the news. My mother works at a high school many miles from here and she has not said that the student levels have gone from 2400 to 1600... In fact, they have gone up. Also, our Sunday School teacher is an English Teacher at a high school in town. No word on that many dropouts. Whether or not I support Kerry or Bush, I think that Kerry is lying on this "fact".

I will do some more researching later today...

Spoogepieces
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 10:54 AM

at another worthless thread.

dcolton
Banned
Sep 3, 2004, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
If this were the case, it would be all over the news. My mother works at a high school many miles from here and she has not said that the student levels have gone from 2400 to 1600... In fact, they have gone up. Also, our Sunday School teacher is an English Teacher at a high school in town. No word on that many dropouts. Whether or not I support Kerry or Bush, I think that Kerry is lying on this "fact".

I will do some more researching later today...
I know it is not true. Just waiting for lerk to admit that he is posting false propoganda or provide the spin behind the blatant lie

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by dcolton:
I know it is not true. Just waiting for lerk to admit that he is posting false propoganda or provide the spin behind the blatant lie

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2004, 11:02 AM

LOL!
Yeah he really caught that distortion of your's, made me laugh too!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules