Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bush is Mad as a Hatter

Bush is Mad as a Hatter
BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2003, 07:17 PM

And he wants us all to join him.

From the NYTimes:
The agency is suggesting that mercury emissions be removed from the most stringent regulations of the Clean Air Act that have been used to limit the most toxic air pollutants. Among those are asbestos, chromium and lead, which have been known to cause cancers and neurological disorders.

The administration proposal would make legally mandated mercury regulation fall under a less stringent section of the Clean Air Act that governs pollutants like those that cause smog and acid rain, which are not as toxic to humans. The administration says this would be a more efficient and faster way to reduce mercury in the environment.
[...]
Environmental groups criticize the market-based proposal, saying it would allow hot spots of mercury contamination to build up. Mercury, a known neurotoxin, accumulates in the environment and builds up in the tissue of fish and the species, including humans, that eat them. It is considered particularly hazardous for pregnant women because of the developmental effects on fetuses.
Also the WPost
Environmentalists say the approach would save the utility industry hundreds of millions of dollars while ensuring a relatively high level of mercury pollution for years to come. Most utility companies, they say, could achieve the reduction targets as a "co-benefit" or byproduct of reducing carbon dioxide and nitrogen oxide, without having to add special equipment to cut mercury emissions.

Coal-fired power plants are the nation's largest source of unregulated airborne mercury pollution, sending an estimated 48 tons into the atmosphere annually. The mercury can enter the food chain and threaten public health, especially for children and pregnant women who eat tainted fish. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recently found that 8 percent of women of childbearing age had mercury in their blood exceeding levels deemed safe by the EPA.
Gah! Mercury is strong juju! The phrase "Mad as a hatter" came from the fact that hat makers used to use mercury in their work, and the mercury vapors literally drove them insane. If lead emissions are so heavily controlled, why not mercury? Last I checked, you don't have to call in a hazmat team if you drop some lead on the floor.

BlackGriffen

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2003, 07:32 PM

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

The Ayatollah
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Tehran, reprocessing spent fuel rods for my nuclear weapons programme.
Dec 3, 2003, 08:11 PM

Bush and the republicans haven't been enviro-friendly in the many years of my long memory. Nothing new to see here. It is sad and borderline pathetic, though. I hate seeing the world trashed and sold out for cash.

Life in a theocracy is all good for nobody.
My mullahs, we da last ones left.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2003, 08:30 PM

Bush is the most anti-environment president in history! We will pay for this not just in future years, but in future generations!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Bush is the most anti-environment president in history! We will pay for this not just in future years, but in future generations!
Absolutely. I don't even think Reagan (with James Watt) was this bad. Unbelievable.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2003, 04:58 AM

Oh, come on, boys - it's all about the economy!

Yeah!

Minamata? Bring it on!

w00+ etc.

-s*

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 09:25 AM

Tree hugger policies in the west led to the fires being hard to put out, Most TH's are funded by lefties, (lefties like NYT, WPost-quoted sources).

The Pen & Teller BS cable show did a job on these stupid, well meaning kids.

Listening to the lefty BS on the earths environment is embarrassing! no formal eduaction here.

I worked for NASA for a while and was able to see the REAL data from space probes surveying earth. even 5 degrees over 200 years is nothing.

Where are the figures of how much stuff is dumped into the environment from volcanoes, and the sea.

What of natural selection? Species are supposed to die out, to be replaced with others, filling the same niche.

gadster
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Y3a:
Tree hugger policies in the west led to the fires being hard to put out, <snip> no formal eduaction here.
With your lack of formal 'eduaction', I humbly suggest you are not in a position to be bagging people who have been 'eduacted' in managing the land.

I worked for NASA for a while and was able to see the REAL data from space probes surveying earth. even 5 degrees over 200 years is nothing.
I had no idea NASA had been doing remote imaging for 200 years. Wow.

Where are the figures of how much stuff is dumped into the environment from volcanoes, and the sea.
Um, wouldn't NASA have that data?

What of natural selection? Species are supposed to die out, to be replaced with others, filling the same niche.
I can help you die out, if you really want.
e-gads

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2003, 11:36 AM

Tree hugger policies in the west led to the fires being hard to put out, Most TH's are funded by lefties, (lefties like NYT, WPost-quoted sources).
The problem with being a seagull poster (flying in every couple of weeks, ruffling feathers and fluttering about, shitting over everything, and then leaving) is that you miss everything that goes on in the meantime.

It was established in a thread about the fires in California that most of what was burning was BRUSHLAND. Not tree-huggers' pet forest.

no formal eduaction here.
Yes, that's obvious, but it's rare even on these boards to see person flaunt his ignorance the way you do.

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules