Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Hygene

iBook Hygene
zewm
Dec 13, 2003, 02:59 PM

I just got my new ibook and I have never had a laptop before. I was wondering what is the best way to clean the screen of the iBook. I noticed it has a few small smudges here and there. I was thinking about getting a Maxell CD Wipe. What do you all suggest?

moep
Senior User
Dec 13, 2003, 04:00 PM

I'm using nothing but a soft towel and some warm water.

Chemicals tend to dissolve the anti-reflection coating on TFT-Screens.

There are chemicals available that are designed to clean tft screens, but they're usually pretty darn expensive.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 04:23 PM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60446

Also, avoid Windex or alcohol-based cleaners.

zewm  (op)
Dec 13, 2003, 04:42 PM

Thank you very much for that information. I can now feel worry free about cleaning my iBook screen :-)

Robertk2012
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 12:44 AM

what about cleaning where your hands rest. Mine are kind of dingy. Any ideas?

zewm  (op)
Dec 14, 2003, 12:10 PM

I would think its ok to use a small cloth towel with a little but if alcohol, but make sure it dries up before you close your iBook, wouldn't want any alcohol to smear all over the upper region of your screen

alex239
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 04:56 PM

I clean my iBook 600 screen with a paper towel lightly sprayed with windex. Works just fone for me with no i'll effects.

-Alex

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 08:00 AM

I've offered this before... But it probably doesn't affect all that many people anymore. The grey cloth that came with the original 5GB iPod is perfect for cleaning laptop/flat panel screens.

Similar cloths are sold (and overpriced) for cleaning eyeglasses. Softer than TP, no dust or residue, perfect.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

buzzedtop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by alex239:
I clean my iBook 600 screen with a paper towel lightly sprayed with windex. Works just fone for me with no i'll effects.

-Alex
Stop using Windex immediately. Windex can acutally cause the screen to become cloudy because it can eat through the plastic that covers the screen. Windex is a chemical cleaner, and is not gentle enough for laptop screens.

You've probably been lucky so far because you've been gentle and the Windex only stays on the screen for a few seconds. Give it some time, and you will destroy your laptop eventually.

-Nathan

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by buzzedtop:
Stop using Windex immediately. Windex can acutally cause the screen to become cloudy because it can eat through the plastic that covers the screen. Windex is a chemical cleaner, and is not gentle enough for laptop screens.

You've probably been lucky so far because you've been gentle and the Windex only stays on the screen for a few seconds. Give it some time, and you will destroy your laptop eventually.

-Nathan
Besides Windex you also shouldn't use paper towels: the small fibers will scratch your screen. Me sometimes wearing glasses (let alone a vulnerable screen...! not very comfy to wear tho) knows all about scratches due to paper towels.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2003, 11:44 PM

I use http://www.klearscreen.com/ and have always had good luck with it. After I'm done cleaning the screen, I use the same stuff to clean the other surfaces. I believe Apple recommends this particular brand.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Dec 20, 2003, 04:24 AM

I have found that the KleerScreens seem to actually cause build up over time. I have stopped using them and now use an optical cloth with eyeglass cleaner, the kind made for the antiglare lenses (w/o alcohol, etc.). Seems to work for me, and it doesn't cost $25.

jg
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

Forum Links
Forum Rules