Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macworld : 15" PB = potential problems

Macworld : 15" PB = potential problems
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 10:15 AM

Macworld reviewed the 15" PowerBook G4 and raises questions about quality issues. White spots, kernel panic, ... "Be prepared for potential problems" they say. Do we know if Apple fixed the white spot problem for sure ? No official info about that ?

I won't buy until I'm sure

Thanks
S k y p a t

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 10:17 AM

that's odd. they almost always give new apple products 4 out of 5 stars and declare the latest machine, "the best mac yet!"

-r.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 11:00 AM

Yeah, very strange indeed. MacWorld always tries its best to praise new Macs, so they're must definitely be some serious issues w/ the new 15" AlBooks for them to hold back like they did...this single item was one of the most long-awaited Macs ever, and for them not to rave over it is pretty serious.

I guess you're taking your chances in buying one...the Rev. A 17" PBs were next to flawless, but it seems the Rev. A 12" and 15" PBs have their issues.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 11:13 AM

Maybe the reva 15 does but not the reva 12. After a few months they fixed all the problems on this version of the 12. So its just as flawless as the 17 rev a. I am not just saying that either. The 15 will be fixed soon just like the 12 was, and it will be a good machine too. So take a chill pill because these issues will get fixed.

do not forget the rev a 17 was delayed to fix issues too.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Skypat:
Macworld reviewed the 15" PowerBook G4 and raises questions about quality issues.
I think this review is, so far, the most official statement that something is seriously wrong with these powerbooks. Awaiting Apple's one on the issue...

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 11:17 AM

Macworld, always the first to catch on...

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
I think this review is, so far, the most official statement that something is seriously wrong with these powerbooks. Awaiting Apple's one on the issue...
I'm ready to drop $7K on a new PB, dual G5, and 20" display.

I called Apple 30 mins ago about the white spot issue, and the guy stumbled a bit and said, "I'm can't comment on any issues with the PB." I told him that the issue was all over the net, and he reiterated that he can't say anything.

His next sentence: "So, can I assist you with that order?"

Hilarious.

I'll wait to see how Apple handles its customers who are plunking down $2500+ on a machine that, by many accounts, has significant bugs.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by PoisonTooth:

I called Apple 30 mins ago about the white spot issue, and the guy stumbled a bit and said, "I'm can't comment on any issues with the PB." I told him that the issue was all over the net, and he reiterated that he can't say anything.

Hilarious.

I'll wait to see how Apple handles its customers who are plunking down $2500+ on a machine that, by many accounts, has significant bugs.
Lol @ Apple!

I would never buy a PB at the moment... or even a G5 as they have been out about 6 months now...

If I were you, I'd wait for a month or 2 and get a fixed Alu, and a Rev B G5...

Peace,

Marc

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 11:30 AM

bought my 15" al 1.25 on october 2.

spots began to develop shortly there after.

dropped it off at the apple store october 19.

today is october 29 and it's still with apple care. so far they've replaced the logic board. now they claim to be waiting on a part � the replacement screen. cannot give a date when a screen will be available. was told yesterday that if they cannot give me a suitable answer as to when i'll get my machine back they'll send me a new one.

while apple care has been pleasant and courteous, they haven't gotten my machine back to me. nor have they told me when i can expect to get it. that, in my opinion, is pathetic.

now my wife keeps reminding me of the advice i give friends who go to buy apple products:

"NEVER buy a rev 1 machine / product from apple and NEVER buy an apple item in the first few months after the release."

she's right, i blew it. should'a waited.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 11:34 AM

You guys my advice is to wait a month or so if you can.

If not I would say that at least 60% of the people have a flawless 15' (like me).

The percentage should defiantly be higher.

One thing I think its funny how the people that have allot of issues have the same issues with their replacements a second and third time.

Im not saying that they are doing anything wrong, but maybe they treat them a little more ruff than us others do.

I know one thing, I am DEFIANTLY buying apple care for this one in the near future. These white spots seem to creep up so who knows what will happen in a year or so.

PS. when you PB goes in for repairs they are more than likely using referbed screens. I read that there was actually no damage being done to make the white spots, just extra pressure being applied.

It would literally kill apple if they had to replace with a new one every screen that people have sent in. The screen in laptops is the most expensive part of the computer.
( Last edited by forcelite; Oct 29, 2003 at 11:40 AM. )
Force

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 11:51 AM

I tell ya, if someone submitted all the horror stories to Slashdot, the issues would become real public real fast. I'm annoyed at how Apple's taking the coy approach when, on its very own forums, there's 270-odd people saying they're having major issues.

BUT -- in other news, how's the current 12" PB? I'd consider that model as well.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by forcelite:
You guys my advice is to wait a month or so if you can.

If not I would say that at least 60% of the people have a flawless 15' (like me).

The percentage should defiantly be higher.

One thing I think its funny how the people that have allot of issues have the same issues with their replacements a second and third time.

Im not saying that they are doing anything wrong, but maybe they treat them a little more ruff than us others do.

I know one thing, I am DEFIANTLY buying apple care for this one in the near future. These white spots seem to creep up so who knows what will happen in a year or so.

PS. when you PB goes in for repairs they are more than likely using referbed screens. I read that there was actually no damage being done to make the white spots, just extra pressure being applied.

It would literally kill apple if they had to replace with a new one every screen that people have sent in. The screen in laptops is the most expensive part of the computer.

if gingerly moving the machine from my office desk to the kitchen table and back is abuse then i'm guilty as hell.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 12:13 PM

Wow! That might be one of the worst MW reviews ever!

Yikes Apple! Tighten up that Q-control.

BTW, I DO have a 1/4 inch sized white blotch n my rev b 17. I will live with it for awhile until all the kinks are worked out of the screens....that's what apple care is for, huh?
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 12:45 PM

Apple must be very aware of the problem and very embarassed. The powerbook 15 is such an important product for them. They really should inform us about the issue and stop delivering bad products.
S k y p a t

acadian
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 01:09 PM

Makes me happy I lusted after the 17" model.
people ruin everything....

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 01:25 PM

Despite all of the bad reports I just picked up a 15'' aluminum powerbook and haven't noticed anything wrong with it, at least not as of yet.

Overall I think the machine is very solid, to put it rather crudely.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by PoisonTooth:

Hilarious.
The guy makes $10 an hour taking orders over the phone for Apple, and you're raking him over the coals over reports of issues with the PB? That makes as much sense as yelling at the cashier at Target because the DVD you bought there was scratched.

I'm not saying these issues aren't legit. But holding whoever answers the phone at 1-800-MY-APPLE responsible is dumb. It's the guy's job to take customers' orders. What did you expect him to say, "Yeah, I'd wait until Rev B if I were you"?

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
The guy makes $10 an hour taking orders over the phone for Apple, and you're raking him over the coals over reports of issues with the PB? That makes as much sense as yelling at the cashier at Target because the DVD you bought there was scratched.

I'm not saying these issues aren't legit. But holding whoever answers the phone at 1-800-MY-APPLE responsible is dumb. It's the guy's job to take customers' orders. What did you expect him to say, "Yeah, I'd wait until Rev B if I were you"?
Easy killer.

I never raked anyone over the coals. Before I drop seven grand, I was seeking some sort of statement that Apple knows about the problem and/or is in the process of addressing it. It's not his fault he can't comment, and I never said it was. What I found funny is that even after I voiced my concern about the problem, he feebly tried to close the sale, as any telesales automaton would.

Next time, before you assume something, you might want to take a few seconds and make sure you have all the facts before taking the creative license to fill in the blanks yourself.

RGray02
Oct 29, 2003, 06:52 PM

Im not sure if this is being blown way out of proportion or what.

I have a 1Ghz 15 Albook, no problems whatsoever. I installed Panther on it, no problems. I havent shut the thing down, just restarted it for Panther install.

I dont tote it around much, perhaps thats what it is that is causing all these problems. After having 3 dead pixels on my wallstreet for 4 years(!), and 1 dead pixel on my sister's iBook, Im ecstatic that I have virtually no problems at all. I used to have that whine too, that mysteriously disappeared last night? Other than that, I wish Apple shipped it with more RAM....

Bought on October 11th. Abused daily, not toted around though.

My advice to anyone, every product youve ever owned has had a couple duds. Thing is, you hear about the problems more often that the successes.
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

Forum Links
Forum Rules