Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChatAV SUCKS! What software audio chats across platforms?

iChatAV SUCKS! What software audio chats across platforms?
RGray02
Feb 6, 2004, 12:55 AM

I tried yahoo a long time ago, i dont think it works. obviously, the aol client blows.

Is there anyway to chat audio from pc to mac? mac to pc?

I have a perfect headset here, my friends have mics, what the hell can we do? (slightly miffed at Apple right now)
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2004, 12:56 AM

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2004, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by RGray02:
I tried yahoo a long time ago, i dont think it works. obviously, the aol client blows.

Is there anyway to chat audio from pc to mac? mac to pc?

I have a perfect headset here, my friends have mics, what the hell can we do? (slightly miffed at Apple right now)
Hmmmmm, i tried several audio and video chats, and Ichat was by far the best for me.... Would care to elaborate what 'sucks' for you?......

villa

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2004, 09:16 AM

Works fine for what I need it to do. I've heard complaints, but I'm happy with the FREE application. I don't chat 24/7, but I am online a ton.

1) What is so bad with it?

and

2) Perhaps it's time to upgrade your 233Mhz beige G3

RGray02  (op)
Feb 6, 2004, 10:25 AM

Well, I was a bit miffed when I posted that, I thought that Apple released an iChat that was capable of audio chatting across platforms, which is a godsend for me, since the vast majority of the people I connect to have pcs. So I thought it was a little dumb that audio only doesnt work, and I need to have a camera connected to get a simple audio connection.

Well, I didnt have a problem connecting to another mac and chatting audio only (as long as firewall had all the ports opened up).

Im looking for alternative audio chat programs that can go cross platform (not a commentary on iChat).

Oh, and I have a 1Ghz Albook.
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2004, 10:39 AM

squidcam, ivisit, ohphone (connects to netmeeting), VChat, and of course iChat. take your pick.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

nobodybutme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2004, 09:25 AM

iSpQ Chat

Used it while ago and it wasn't too bad.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by RGray02:
Well, I was a bit miffed when I posted that, I thought that Apple released an iChat that was capable of audio chatting across platforms, which is a godsend for me, since the vast majority of the people I connect to have pcs. So I thought it was a little dumb that audio only doesnt work, and I need to have a camera connected to get a simple audio connection.

Well, I didnt have a problem connecting to another mac and chatting audio only (as long as firewall had all the ports opened up).

Im looking for alternative audio chat programs that can go cross platform (not a commentary on iChat).

Oh, and I have a 1Ghz Albook.
There used to be a product called "netfone" from Haxial, and I liked it a lot, but now it's no longer available. It has been integrated into Haxial KDX. I haven't tried KDX yet. I still use Netfone all the time to talk to my allies when playing StarCraft on battle.net.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Perhaps it's time to upgrade your 233Mhz beige G3
Bingo!

Forum Links
Forum Rules