Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clean install of Panther

Clean install of Panther
GATTACA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 11:51 AM

Hello.
I've got a 15" PB running Jaguar.
I'm starting to get a few annoying problems. I'm thinking about backing up my data, formatting the hard drive and reinstalling OS X. Now I've got my original copy of Jaguar. I was wondering if any one has tried doing a clean install of Panther on a powerbook. Are their any problems with it? Do you see an appreciable increase in performance? Are there somethings I should be worried about? Etc..

Basically I'm not sure if Panther is worth the $130 upgrade for this.

Thanks.
PowerBook G4 800Mhz
1GB RAM
60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Running Tiger

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2004, 12:46 PM

The speed change wasn't night and day, thought it was nice, and the user interface change seems ok. I have no regrets in purchasing panther. Check out ebay they seem to be selling around 70 - 90 dollars that might be a little more palatable.

Check out the changes at apple.com. also they may help you make the jump (or not)

Mike

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 20, 2004, 01:01 PM

Panther is worth the upgrade. Unless you plan on buying a new computer with it pre-installed... then go out and get it. Now!

There are so many reasons why it would take too long to list them, and it is not my job to convince you.

Now, regarding your real problem (which is the performance with your current setup). Yes. If you're having strange problems, waking up in cold sweats at night, etc... go ahead and back up your data and then do a nice low-level format, followed by a nice clean and April fresh install. I swear, you'll feel much better in the morning. Or at least your PowerBook will.

Also, if in the middle of your install, you uncheck options such as installing every single language known to human kind (and all the fonts that love them), you will notice an appreciable difference in boot up time, and all around system love.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 01:35 PM

Upgrade, I did it and saw a very noticable speed increase. Once you've used expose you'll never go back to panther.

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 01:58 PM

I did a clean install of panther over on my 12" PB and it's a beauty. No problems here. Runs faster, and the interface improvements, including Expose, are significant.

I'd go for it!

P.S. How do I type the accented e at the end of Expose?
PBG4/12"/1GHz/1.25GB/60GB//SD/APX/10.3

chu-ka-pi
Feb 20, 2004, 02:24 PM

> GATTACA wrote:
>
> was wondering if any one has tried doing a clean
> install of Panther on a powerbook. Are their any
> problems with it?

No problems with a clean install on a Ti 867. Actually, I would advise you to always do clean installs. Neither use the upgrade option, this is known to cause a lots of problems. You migh want want to make a search on these forums. IIRC, this has been extensively discussed when Panther was released.

> bkb wrote:
>
> P.S. How do I type the accented e at the end
> of Expose?

alt-e e

Expos�

Just try several combo with the alt key.
�, �, �, �, �, �, �, � and so forth...

CKP

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 02:29 PM

>I would advise you to always do clean installs.

Likewise.

>alt-e e
>Just try several combo with the alt key.
>�, �, �, �, �, �, �, � and so forth...

Cool, thanks.

GATTACA  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
.Also, if in the middle of your install, you uncheck options such as installing every single language known to human kind (and all the fonts that love them), you will notice an appreciable difference in boot up time, and all around system love.
Um...So are you saying I SHOULD install all languages to get an appreciable performance increase?

BTW Does anyone know if the academic version is the same as the version you get from CompUSA?

Thanks.
PowerBook G4 800Mhz
1GB RAM
60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Running Tiger

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by GATTACA:
Um...So are you saying I SHOULD install all languages to get an appreciable performance increase?

BTW Does anyone know if the academic version is the same as the version you get from CompUSA?

Thanks.
The versions are the same. Nobody is saying you SHOULD install the languages. That's up to you, depending on who is going to use the computer, and what language they want the interface to be in.

We're saying you should do a clean install.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 20, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by GATTACA:

Thanks.
No. I'm saying the opposite. Please read what I wrote again. And again, if necessary.

There is no such thing as an academic version of Mac OS X. But there is academic pricing of Mac OS X. Do you understand the not so subtle difference, now?

By the way, all of these questions regarding Mac OS X installation should be addressed to the Mac OS X forum... where they have already been answered many, many times before.

Forum Links
Forum Rules