Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Halo with iBook 640mb Ram???

Halo with iBook 640mb Ram???
bgotori
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 02:55 AM

Hey All

I searched this out but came up with nothing...

How well will an iBook with 640mb Ram play Halo???

Thinking about getting this, but before I spend the money(or waste it), I was wondering what your thoughts are.

Just looking for Answers from people that have this kind of system, adn have tried or played Halo on it.

Also is there a Demo of it to download somewhere??? That would be even better!!!

Thanks All

Brad Gotori

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 10:43 AM

Is it a g4 or g3 based ibook? I would imagine that you would be ok with a g4 ibook and halo, but you might have to bump some of the graphics settings down.

cryon
Mar 1, 2004, 10:51 AM

hmm, i depends on which ibook you have. it may be playeble on a 1ghz iBook. and it may run on an 800mhz iBook. but I dont think it will be a great experience. Note that i haven't tried it, nor did i find a demo (did a quick google).

System Requirements

Mac OS X version 10.2.8 (10.3 or higher recommended)

800MHz PowerPC G4 processor (1GHz or higher recommended)

256MB of RAM (512MB recommended)

32MB AGP Video Card; GeForce 2MX/ATI Radeon 7000 or better (64MB AGP Video Card; GeForce 4Ti/ATI Radeon 9000 or better recommended)

1.4GB hard disk space

Internet or LAN connection required for online play
iBook G4 800mhz 12", 640mb ram, 60gb hdd, AirPort Extreme, Internal Bluetooth with osx 10.3.2 Panther
Palm Tungsten|T, TI-OMAP 144 MHz, 512mb SD, Internal Bluetooth with Palm OS 5.0

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 12:36 PM

Here ya go http://barefeats.com/halo.html. To tell you the truth, when I'm at work and there's nuttin to do I'll play the occasional Halo match online with my work computer. The specs on it are 733MHz 1.5GB RAM and a 32MB GPU, which is well below the minimum requirements but I turn all the settings down or off and its not tooo shabby. If you dont need the eye candy go for it. Also a demo is going to be released soon but hasn't been released yet, and there's an exclusive Halo on iBook test at xlr8yourmac.com but I'm too lazy to go searchin for it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

bgotori  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 04:22 PM

Hey All

Thanks!!!

This will be on a G4 iBook with 640mb Ram and a 60gb drive.

I go lookup ""xlr8yourmac.com""

Thanks Again!!!

Brad Gotori

Kermy
Mar 1, 2004, 05:13 PM

Here's what you want.

Thank god I have my PC for games.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 07:13 PM

Two words. Forget it.
See the present edition of MacAddict

bgotori  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 12:03 AM

Hey Guys

Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks Again!!!

Brad Gotori

bluedog
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 10:28 AM

While I haven't played a full game online. I just bought a G3/900mHz iBook with 384MB and a 32MB Radeon7500 video chip.

Halo installed and didn't say it required the G4 as the documentation recommends. I started an online game with lower details and sound settings at 640x480 and it was 'playable'. I don't know if I could win a highpowered firefight, but I was surprised it even worked.

For the hardcore gamers, this wouldn't satisfy them but for myself I think I'm happier not paying double the price for about 30% realworld performance.

That aside, if the laptop is going to be your only computer, the better models would be more appealing because you wouldn't have a desktop model to fall back on.

antisonne
Mar 13, 2004, 01:54 PM

It plays well on my ibook g3 800 with 640ram...

webb3201
Senior User
Mar 15, 2004, 12:10 PM

It plays wonderfully on my 100.00 used Xbox.

One of the reasons I was able to go Mac Only at home was adding a console for action games. My Macs were always ok with RPG and Strategy games, but generally problematic in running action/sports games.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

DaBeav
Mar 15, 2004, 06:54 PM

I just got a refurb'd XBox. HALO rocks! I might just have to sign up for XBox Live when HALO 2 comes out.

Laptops in general won't be very stellar gaming machines. For occasional use it should work OK.

Forte
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2004, 11:43 PM

Halo runs pretty nicely windowed at 640x480, with the various details set to low and/or medium, on my iBook G4, 933MHz, 640MB RAM. I was surprised - I'd gotten the impression it was barely playable on just about anything no matter what the settings were. It's actually fine if you don't care about uber-pretty graphics.

cambro
Senior User
Mar 18, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by webb3201:
One of the reasons I was able to go Mac Only at home was adding a console for action games.
Yeah, I just don't get the computer gamers. Consoles are cheap, small, come with great controlers (let's just forget about the nasty Xbox original contolers), and can go onine.

Why would you want an expensive PC to play games?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2004, 12:41 PM

I happen to like the original xbox controller, seeing how my hand is 8.5 inches long from the bottom of my palm to the tip of my middle finger. I understand that the xbox s controller is lots better for average consumers, and I'd use em too if it wasn't for the crappy white and black button placement. I totally disagree with the thought that the first xbox controller sucked and was ugly, by far my favorite controller ever made and alot of people I know prefer them as well.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules