Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Update Expert On The Mac Side???

Update Expert On The Mac Side???
Richard Clark
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 12:30 PM

Hello!

My supervisor (PC Admin) has requested that I look into the possibility of a software package on the Mac side similiar to Update Expert (St. Bernard Software). Our Mac area will be upgrading shortly to OS X on all workstations. If there is a program similiar to Update Expert for OS X it would be helpful.

Here is a description of Update Expert:

"Update EXPERT is a Windows administration program that helps you secure your systems by remotely managing service packs and hotfixes. Microsoft constantly releases updates for the OS and mission critical applications, which fix security vulnerabilities and system stability problems. Supporting Windows NT, 2000 and XP, and a long list of mission critical applications, UpdateEXPERT empowers administrators to conduct research, take inventory, deploy updates and validate installations to networked machines. UpdateEXPERT enhances security, keeps systems up to date, eliminates sneaker-net and improves system reliability."

So we're looking for something along the lines for the Mac. Is anyone aware of something like this?

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be great.

Thanks in advance!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2004, 12:40 PM

Apple Remote Desktop

You can push out updates/packages via ARD...see if something like that would suit your needs...

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 12:52 PM

Last fall we did purchase ARD. But the Mac Admin said that it did not work properly and was not able to control the desktops. We have installed the updates that have been released for the workstation.

I have not be given permission to test the admin side out for ARD. I had asked to test ARD was wasn't given the chance. So I don't know if it works or doesn't.

From what I know, our company is now purchasing Timbuktu.

If you guys can give any information that can help so we don't waste money and resources it would be great.

Thanks!
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2004, 12:55 PM

I assume you'll be upgarding all client workstations to OS X Panther, correct? If so, ARD is now built-in to the OS and I haven't had a single problem going that route...has your office played and tested things with Panther by chance?

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 01:02 PM

Right now all the upgrades of ARD installed are for Jaguar. Only myself, the Mac Admin and one user currently have Panther. When we upgrade in the next couple months all workstations will be brought up to Panther.

-Q-
Apr 14, 2004, 01:20 PM

If you'll be upgrading to Panther, I'd definitely give ARD another look. I use it to 'admin' the macs on my home network and it's worked flawlessly.

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 10:52 AM

Here's an update on how things are going. So far the only application that I have found is even close to what my boss want is MacUpdate Desktop (www.macupdate.com). BUT it is only for individual workstations. There isn't a enterprise type solution. Also, the program will track for updates but won't manage them for putting a package together to be sent out over a network.

So for right now it appears there isn't anything out thee for our company.

My boss had requested "please research and see if there is a product that we keep the Macs up to date with automatic patch application. ".

Yes, software update in the System Preferences helps to take care of the Apple updates. And that Apple Remote Desktop or Timbuktu would help getting the updates out to the workstations without me having to go around to every workstation (by the way, they are going to purchase Timbuktu and use it instead of ARD). But they're looking for something like what they have on Wintel where it manages, and can push the updates out to workstations.

So that's the latest.

Thanks for the responses!

lenox
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 11:18 AM

The command line tool, 'softwareupdate' is a mirror of Apple's gui software update. It's built into the OS, and can be scripted and cron'd to your heart's content, or invoked via a remote ssh connection.

Hope this helps!

'softwareupdate help output'
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2003 Apple Computer, Inc.

usage: softwareupdate [-q] <command> <args>
Options:
-q Quiet mode
Commands:
-h | --help Print this help
-l | --list List all available updates
-d | --download Download (to directory set in InternetConfig)
-i | --install Install (requires root)
<name-version> ... specific updates
-a | --all all available active updates
-r | --req all required active updates
--ignored Manage ignored updates list (per-user)
add <name> ... specific package names
remove <name> ... specific package names
remove (-a | --all) all currently ignored package names
--schedule Manage scheduler preferences
on | off Set automatic checking (per-user)

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Richard Clark:
Yes, software update in the System Preferences helps to take care of the Apple updates. And that Apple Remote Desktop or Timbuktu would help getting the updates out to the workstations without me having to go around to every workstation (by the way, they are going to purchase Timbuktu and use it instead of ARD). But they're looking for something like what they have on Wintel where it manages, and can push the updates out to workstations.
I asked for this sort of option to the developer of Renew last week in regards to making a customizable backend that could be used for this purpose and customized towards your own company's servers and was told he has been asked several times for something like this from enterprise level corporations to massive school districts. It sounded to me like it'll definitely happen and be in development...who knows when though...

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 11:29 AM

Thanks GoRickey!

-Q-
Apr 21, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Richard Clark:
Thanks GoRickey!
Be sure to check out the post by lenox. My friend at CNN does this (500 or so macs) and has put together some shell scripts that automate the process and makes it EASY. It's not a pretty pre-built app, but it's definitely possible. And will cost you nothing.

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 11:55 AM

That helps!!

Thanks Lenox!

Originally posted by lenox:
The command line tool, 'softwareupdate' is a mirror of Apple's gui software update. It's built into the OS, and can be scripted and cron'd to your heart's content, or invoked via a remote ssh connection.

Hope this helps!

'softwareupdate help output'
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2003 Apple Computer, Inc.

usage: softwareupdate [-q] <command> <args>
Options:
-q Quiet mode
Commands:
-h | --help Print this help
-l | --list List all available updates
-d | --download Download (to directory set in InternetConfig)
-i | --install Install (requires root)
<name-version> ... specific updates
-a | --all all available active updates
-r | --req all required active updates
--ignored Manage ignored updates list (per-user)
add <name> ... specific package names
remove <name> ... specific package names
remove (-a | --all) all currently ignored package names
--schedule Manage scheduler preferences
on | off Set automatic checking (per-user)

Forum Links
Forum Rules