Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I got questions, what to do, what to do....

I got questions, what to do, what to do....
iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 02:51 PM

Ok, I have a cousin who got a 17" Rev A and it just ran out of Applecare, he wants to sell it to purchase a 15" PB. I have another cousin who has a 15" PB 1.25 with all the hardware upgrades who wants to sell his laptop to fix his crappy PC laptop (I've already let him have it and he just wont listen). My dillema is this; Both will sell their 'books for pretty cheap to me so I was thinking about getting the 15", but then again I thought about how cool it'd be to have a 17" and to have the toolbox's in Illustrator and Photoshop completely out of the way. After hearing both price offers to me, the 15" is selling for $100 less, but!!! its off the black market when my cuz bought it. So do I go for the 15" 1.25 that I will have to repair myself whenever something happens (ie. replacing the lcd or the hd etc....), or do I go with the 17" that is out of Applecare but atleast I could get Apple techs to still take looks at it without worrying about the authorities. The 15" has one dead pixel, but the 17" has none but two slight scratches on the palm rests. I dont know what to do and I'm lookin to upgrade to a 64MB PB really soon. I love my 12" PB to death especially because it's under Applecare till Feb 2007, but the lack of 64MB is killing me and I know the new 'books have 64MB but I cant afford the upgrade. What would you do if you were me?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2004, 05:25 PM

Forgive me for not understanding. Was the 15" stolen? If so do not even consider it.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

rsgunther
Apr 25, 2004, 05:55 PM

I agree, if the 15" is "hot" from the blackmarket; focus on making a deal on the 17". Offer the 100 less, for the 15 & you can probably make the deal.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2004, 07:44 PM

i'd say the 17" offer a little less than asking due to lack of apple care, you can take a apple computer into an apple store and buy extra apple care for a sum, i think all they need to do is sight the machine as being in "good working order"
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 09:06 PM

Never buy a stolen machine. If you have problems with them and send them for repair, a check of the serial number will land you in hot water and you'll lose the computer.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2004, 09:45 PM

agreed. plus, the 17-inch is way better unless you tote it around everywhere you go.

like you said, illustrator and other design applications get a lot bigger

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2004, 09:09 AM

If the 15'' has LCD problems and is "hot" i would definitely get the 17''.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2004, 11:28 AM

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Only thing is that the 15" is a way better PB then the 17". It has more cache, faster dvd-r, better graphics card, and is more portable. I guess I have to take my medicine and not get greedy but rather to play it safe. Are you sure about being able to get Applecare by taking the machine to an Apple store, never heard of that before. I think I'd rather keep my 12" seeing how I could take the thing anywhere and it only scores 10 points less then the 17" in xbench. Gotta sit this one through and give it a good think.

Dr.Michael
Apr 27, 2004, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
...but the lack of 64MB is killing me and I know the new 'books have 64MB but I cant afford the upgrade. What would you do if you were me?
1. Cool down and realize what a great, nearly brand new and portable powerbook you already have.
2. Keep your money.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Never buy a stolen machine. If you have problems with them and send them for repair, a check of the serial number will land you in hot water and you'll lose the computer.

PLUS, if no one buys stolen PowerBooks there will be no market for them! and we'll all be a little safer!

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 02:28 PM

Good point, My powerbook now is pretty damn good and if I ever need performance upgrades a 1 gig stick and faster HD should do the trick. I needed a good kick in my arse with this whole update thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules