Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 80 gb to 66 gb...

80 gb to 66 gb...
onaujee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 08:55 PM

Ok, first time pb user, and when I got it today it comes out to be 66gb. Should I format? Would it be up to at least 70+ if I do? Thanks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 26, 2004, 10:08 PM

An 80GB drive should format to about 74GB and change.

tooki

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2004, 10:23 PM

Is your unformatted capacity 66gb or is that what is being displayed as free space?

onaujee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2004, 10:56 PM

When I turned it on it was on 66. I'm gonna reformat tonight.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 11:03 PM

The Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) ought to give you some useful information. You should see an icon for your hard disc and a description of the total size in the sidebar on the left. Then, if the total size is more than your formatted capacity, you can click on the drive and then on "partition" to see if perhaps there's any unused space...

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by onaujee:
Ok, first time pb user, and when I got it today it comes out to be 66gb. Should I format? Would it be up to at least 70+ if I do? Thanks.

Maybe a dumb response, but since you are a new mac user, are you refering to unused space or total capacity.

Under the Apple symbol on menu Bar, highlight "About this mac" and sect more info. Then select ATA and see what is there.

If you already did this , "Never Mind!"

scoot
Apr 27, 2004, 12:03 AM

I just received my 17" this morning. When I first fired it up, I had about 66 GB free, 74GB total capacity. It's 80GB if you use 'marketing' numbers, 1 GB being 1000*1000*1000 bytes. It's 74GB if you use computer / engineering / geek numbers: 1024*1024*1024 bytes. Throw in the OS, applications, and the biggies - iDVD and Garageband, and you wind up with 66 or so.

Formatting now will do 3 things:
1. It'll take care of any already-existing disk errors, if any. They happen sometimes.
2. You'll be familiar with the reinstall/restore process should you ever have to do so in the future.
3. . Nothing as far as free space, if you reinstall the OS and all the apps which were preinstalled. (I assume you will do so, since staring at a flashing question mark gets boring after a short period of time).

--
Scott

Forum Links
Forum Rules