Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To those who just got thier new PB's- are they hot?

To those who just got thier new PB's- are they hot?
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2004, 07:35 PM

Motorola 7447A is suppose to be a lower power chip but I have my doubts about if its any cooler than the prior generation of chips. Any observations - fan kicking on? I would like to upgrade my aging Pismo but and worried about the added fan noise and heat from the 1.5 Ghz chip.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 10:12 PM

QUESTION:

Is the 1.3 G4 chip in the new 12" powerbook the exact same chip as the 1.3 G4 chip in the previous generation 17" powerbook?

if so, i had use of a 17" powerbook for a month and used it extensively..it never got too hot for me ever. warm yes..but never hot.

I know someone with a 867mhz g4 and it gets HOT.

agibbs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2004, 10:41 PM

I'm more concerned about fan noise, my old Ti500 has started to get very anoying with the fan going on during movies etc. Since I use mine as a desktop replacement (not a laptop per se) can anyone who has recieved one (has anyone?) talk about fan usage/volume during processor intensive tasks such as decoding divx? Thanks.

Adam

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 11:18 PM

The new 12ins are quite cooler then the original 12ins. I'm doing a 'hand' test of the two, and we all agree, the new ones are cooler. Mind that the new 12in is still kinda hot, but no where near as bad as the previous generation.

todrain
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 11:20 PM

I saw a 1.33mhz 12" over the weekend, and it seemed to be hotter than the 1ghz model next to it.

gg1234
Apr 27, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by tkmd:
Motorola 7447A is suppose to be a lower power chip but I have my doubts about if its any cooler than the prior generation of chips. Any observations - fan kicking on? I would like to upgrade my aging Pismo but and worried about the added fan noise and heat from the 1.5 Ghz chip.
^bump

I'd like to know how heat and fan noise compares to previous models....anyone with the newest model care to comment??

jmelrose
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 11:28 AM

Hot like J.Lo on Oscar Niight!!

These things look GREAT! Whoa.

Oh... heat. Um, dunno. Didn't get mine yet.

:-) Smile?
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by jmelrose:
Hot like J.Lo on Oscar Niight!!
She's as cold and boring as polar bear dung.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 11:59 AM

The 1.33 GHz G4 in the 12" is similar to that from the 17" of before, but it has been slightly reworked to use considerably less power and generate less heat. That's why they can justify cramming it into such a small case.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

zacharyt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2004, 09:13 PM

I just upgraded from a Rev A 12 inch PB to the new 15 inch PB--and it is still warm, but I think the heat is more evenly distributed. In my old 12 inch PB, it was hotest in the upper left hand side of the keyboard

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 08:12 AM

the fan u old grannies, the FAN !!!

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2004, 09:38 AM

I can't comment on the new powerbooks, but I have a 15'' alubook with the 1Ghz processor and the fans almost never come on. They only come on when I'm playing a game or batch processing in photoshop CS, and even then only for a very short while. The latop itself doesn't get all that hot. Yes, it gets warm. Any computer that is made out of aluminum is going to get warm.

Sorry to state the obvious. But things like aluminum and titanium conduct heat.

agibbs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 07:33 PM

Which is kind of the point I believe, to conduct heat away from the laptop's innards. But no one has yet answered the question about the new powerbooks and fan noise/frequency. While I appreciate the info about the 1Ghz 15" I know that fan frequency has oscilated wildly from edition to edition usually not in a logical progression based on processor speed/temp. Does anyone have a new one in his hands and can let us know?
Ti 500/512/20

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 08:10 PM

I have a brand new 12" 1.3 ghz powerbook in my hands..on my lap.

Does it get HOT? ....not as hot as the previous generation powerbooks...
I once used a 867 mhz G4 12" powerbook for a month...as well as a 1 ghz 12" powerbook for a month....

this one is cooler. the Rev A's in my opinion got to hot to hold on your lap without a towel or at least wearning jeans to protect you.

I've ONLY had this one for about 5 hours so still too early to tell..but first impressions are that it does indeed run cooler.

Does it get WARM? Yes..it does get very warm. but so far not uncomfortably so.

will post again after I have used it a few hours on my lap.

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 11:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
[B]I have a brand new 12" 1.3 ghz powerbook in my hands..on my lap.

have a brand new 12" 1.3 ghz powerbook w/8o gig drive

this runs cooler then the previous generation in my estimation. However I noticed that on playing some cd's- the drive almost vibrates.It was almost scary- it must have been the cd- when accessing info it seems to struggle a bit. I also felt that the drive spinning (or is it the fan?) makes more noise than the Rev B pwerbook. I'm somewhat hypersensitive about this right now-it being a new machine but i wonder if there is a 'breaking in time' for the drives and fan. any others on fan noise or cd or dvd performance?

'don't follow leaders. watch you're parkin meters'-bob.
cheers-mel

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 11:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mel Dada:
[B]
Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
I have a brand new 12" 1.3 ghz powerbook in my hands..on my lap.

have a brand new 12" 1.3 ghz powerbook w/8o gig drive

this runs cooler then the previous generation in my estimation. However I noticed that on playing some cd's- the drive almost vibrates.It was almost scary- it must have been the cd- when accessing info it seems to struggle a bit. I also felt that the drive spinning (or is it the fan?) makes more noise than the Rev B pwerbook. I'm somewhat hypersensitive about this right now-it being a new machine but i wonder if there is a 'breaking in time' for the drives and fan. any others on fan noise or cd or dvd performance?

'don't follow leaders. watch you're parkin meters'-bob.
cheers-mel

I just put a DVD in mine..played fine..

I've had it on my lap all evening for 3 hours now... its VERY warm..but not too hot... VERY warm describes it correctly.

I've been running mine about 6 hours today non-stop installing software and getting it set up exactly how I like etc.

So far zero problems.. just not in love with the screen. I prefer my old ibook's LCD screen over this one by far. Very narrow field of view.. you have to look at it dead on at just the correct angle or there is visual distortion.

I'd rate my ibook 500 mhz an "A+" laptop.

I would give this powerbook Rev C a letter "B-" just cause I don't like the screen that much...having to move the lid whenever I slightly change my legs around for instance.. its a minor thing, but I never had to adjust my ibook lid as it had a very large area where you could view the screen acceptably.

But...on the bright side.. no dead pixels (at least that I can tell and I don't want to know how to check as I'm perfectly happy not knowing I have any if indeed I do as I can't tell!).

I'm not sure I know what a dead pixel looks like though.. in the last 3 years I've set up 10 laptops or LCD display panels (all from Apple except for my Formac LCD which is a dream) for either family or friends and not one time have I ever seen a dead pixel. (knocking on wood and saying a prayer)

The fan kicked on after 2 hours of being on my lap tonight... which is acceptable. I've mostly just been doing web surfing and email..nothing major.

The fan is pretty quiet..so happy in that regard.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2004, 12:39 AM

The fan kicked on after 2 hours of being on my lap tonight... which is acceptable. I've mostly just been doing web surfing and email..nothing major.
Is that directly on your lap or on some type of laptop desk or book?
Troy Murray

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 02:44 AM

Could someone with a new PowerBook try Temperature Monitor and report back on the temperature readings? It works with my rev B 12" which has a PPC 7447 so I guess it will also work with the 7447a, but I'm not sure yet.

- what is the idle (but not in sleep) temp of your PowerBook at room temperature?
- at what temp does the fan come on?
- what is the max temp you can reach (disk thrashing, full CPU power, etc.)?
- at what temp does the fan turn off again?

For the 1GHz 7447 in my 12" the temperatures are 47C/116.5F, 48.5C/119.5F, 65C/149F, 48C/118.5F.

Dr.Michael
Apr 29, 2004, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by Simon:

- what is the idle (but not in sleep) temp of your PowerBook at room temperature?
- at what temp does the fan come on?
- what is the max temp you can reach (disk thrashing, full CPU power, etc.)?
- at what temp does the fan turn off again?

For the 1GHz 7447 in my 12" the temperatures are 47C/116.5F, 48.5C/119.5F, 65C/149F, 48C/118.5F.
Simon,

These temps differ from mine, although I also have a rev b.

35C, 56C, 63C, 48C. Room temperature is 20C now.

I found out that the room temperature is a very important factor. The higher it is the hotter your pb runs (clear).

The cycle between fan turn on and turn off is too small for your powerbook. Did you install 10.3.3?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2004, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
These temps differ from mine, although I also have a rev b.

35C, 56C, 63C, 48C. Room temperature is 20C now.
Bingo. My room temp is about 26C/78F because we've got about 7 computers running full blast in this tiny office. And there is almost no draft.

The cycle between fan turn on and turn off is too small for your powerbook. Did you install 10.3.3?
Yep. However, the cycle seems to not be perfectly constant. Sometimes it comes on or goes off a bit earlier or later. But I think this is a problem of the software not reading out fast enough at sufficient precision.

Does your fan really go on at 56C? That's rather late and your Book must be very warm by that time. Are you sure you're really hearing it at first? It's rather quiet in the beginning. When it comes on in the office I wouldn't notice, but at home where it's really quiet I will hear it.

Kerf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2004, 12:56 PM

I received the 15" 1.5gh/512/128 VR/5400 ToshibaHD powerbook on Monday. Temperature Monitor seems to work. I just installed it - after 2 hours online cpu temperature is 52C/125.6F. Both palmrests are body temperature, it's only slightly warmer above the speakers and above the F keys. The bottom of the computer is warm, but not uncomfortably so.
I suspect fans are running most of the time as I can feel very slight air movement from vents on sides and from the lower parts of the speakergrills - but fan noise is very very low and I can't be sure what's hard drive noise (there isn't much of that either) and what might be fan noise.

Dr.Michael
Apr 29, 2004, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Simon:

Does your fan really go on at 56C? That's rather late and your Book must be very warm by that time. Are you sure you're really hearing it at first? It's rather quiet in the beginning. When it comes on in the office I wouldn't notice, but at home where it's really quiet I will hear it.
Hi Simon,

I tested it accurately this evening.

After sleep my machine had 27/80
Letting it idle but awake the temp rises to 33/91 (slowwwwly).
The fan started at 62.3/144. I held my ear near the vent at the back. I couldn't hear anything that could be distinguished from the hd before 62.3.
The fan stabilized the temp at 61.5/143.7. I ran a 100% CPU Java app with a little disk activity and a Video CD in vlc.
At 46/114 the fan stopped again.

Now I work at 47C.

Room temperature is again around 20/68.
But I remember last summer with a 20" cinema display attached the temp reached 63/145.4 and the fan got berserk (noisier than today).
Now the hd is comfortably warm. Thats all.
Sounds ok, doesn't it?

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by troymurray:
Is that directly on your lap or on some type of laptop desk or book?
directly on my lap.

Actually the fan never kicked on for 2 hours UNTIL I was running the software upgrade via the control panel. During that process the fan came on.

It never got HOT..but it was VERY VERY VERY warm. But nothing like the Rev A's which I could not stand to have on my legs for long.

Its working perfectly..have had it a day now. I just wish the screen was nicer...in my opinion the screen is MUCH MUCH lower visual quality than the original ibook screens like on my 500 mhz ibook.

I think I read once somewhere that Apple uses 2 vendors to supply the LCD's on the laptops, and that one of the vender's LCD's are better than the other. I obviously got the lessor screen this time

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 10:04 PM

Its working perfectly..have had it a day now. I just wish the screen was nicer...in my opinion the screen is MUCH MUCH lower visual quality than the original ibook screens like on my 500 mhz ibook.

I think I read once somewhere that Apple uses 2 vendors to supply the LCD's on the laptops, and that one of the vender's LCD's are better than the other. I obviously got the lessor screen this time
I still think you should contact Apple and tell them that the display is defective. A properly working display shouldn't have such a strange color cast to it.

Arcayx
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2004, 01:52 AM

Well, so far at least.
At 4:32 today, my PowerBook arrived. I've burned about 8 DVD-R discs in a row, and I've been doing other stuff at the same time. Running the processor at 100% the entire time, transferring files over FireWire, etc.

I'm upgrading from a 500 MHz G4 Ti. rev A.

There is no comparison between the two.

The 1.5 GHz Al is warm to the touch (after all this work)
Its not uncomfortable. Its not hot. Just mildly warm.
I burned myself on the bottom of the Ti a number of times.

I haven't heard the fan on this yet either.

Sooooo much nicer.
And the screen! Its a whole new world!
-Cogito, Ergo, Sum

Forum Links
Forum Rules