Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Remote?

Remote?
Richard Clark
Senior User
Feb 22, 2005, 10:18 PM

Ok, I'm going to have to start provide Tech support on-call at night. My boss wants me to be able to log-in to the Mac environment to work from my home mac.

Here's the million dollar question?

Can I log-in to my work mac from my home mac with OS X?

Or do I need to get something like Timbuktu or ARD?

My work mac has ARD 2.1 on it. So if I can log into that then I can look at any of the Macs that I need to troubleshoot.

Any tips tricks or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2005, 10:34 PM

Yes, with ARD 2 client installed (and turned on!), you can connect using any old VNC client.

tooki

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2005, 10:46 PM

Ok, so the VPN Client needs to be on my work mac?

I'm installing the ARD 2.1 Client on my home Mac as we speak.
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 22, 2005, 10:52 PM

No, nothing VPN. VNC.

You use the ARD Client on the work Mac, turn said client on (and make sure the necessary ports are open/forwarded), and then use a VNC client on the home Mac.

tooki

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 11:04 PM

Rumor has it that one of the best Mac VNC clients is Chicken of the VNC. Here's Apple's page on it: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...nofthevnc.html

Good luck. I'm learning about this myself, only it's to get connected to a home computer from work. I'll let you know if I notice anything that could be helpful.

Mark

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2005, 11:10 PM

Thanks!

I downloaded Chicken of the VNC tonight. Will need to check settings at work as well as ports. Then I'll try to log in tomorrow night from here at home. Hopefully it will work.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 01:36 AM

in case anyone is interested in a more basic program I use Desktop Transporter with no troubles at all.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Feb 25, 2005, 10:47 AM

Well, here's an update.

I made sure that the ARD settings in the Sharing System Preferences were on for my work computer but it won't work. I had to install and turn on OSXVNC for my work mac (set port 5901) the do the following on the home mac:

1. Use Internet Connect to VPN
2. Use Chicken of the VNC connecting through port 5901

It worked but the connection is slow. I have a cable modem at home. Our network has T1 ones here at work.

I don't understand why I can't VNC in under port 5900 or 3238 for ARD won't work.

I can SSH through Terminal.

And as mentioned above if I use OSXVNC server activated at work then Chicken of the VNC works fine at home - just slow. Also, I did change the settings to VNC down to 256 colors. Is there a way to get it down to B/W?

Any ideas, tips, tricks or suggestions? I have a solution but it's not the best. I'd like to give my boss better options.

Thanks in advance!

: )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2005, 12:06 PM

I'm confused, why aren't you just using ARD2 on both Macs?

I do it on a weekly basis and it works flawlessly. Is it just like I'm sitting in front of the Mac, no, but it's great for quick searches etc.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 25, 2005, 12:19 PM

ARD is a lab management program, really. If I were going to spend money on remote access, it'd be for Timbuktu, which works marvelously even over slow-as-molasses connections.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules