Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard

Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard
Hamgard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 01:21 PM

Anybody got or tried one of these? They get a good rap in the press.

Thanks

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 05:39 PM

You mean the rebranded kensington studioboard? You can get em for $50-60
Aloha

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2005, 04:57 AM

I got one several months back and I love it. You've probably seen the reviews, which are unanimously positive, I think. Only objection I've heard is that they're fairly noisy -- clacky clack sound. I don't mind, personally, but you might try it out in person to see if it's too loud for you. The feel is great, the alternate character markings on the keys is often useful, and the firmness means I type a lot more accurately than I did on my previous Apple keyboard. I just wish they'd make one in an ergonomic shape, although I haven't experienced any RSI/carpal tunnel problems with this one. By far the best keyboard I've ever used.

Hamgard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Link:
You mean the rebranded kensington studioboard? You can get em for $50-60
Is it a rebrand?

BTW I missed an earlier thread on this subject which pretty well answered all my queries.

Thanks

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 10:37 AM

The two keyboards look the same but they aren't. The keys definitely have a different feel, and IMO the Kensington one is superior.

Here's a recent review of the two http://www.atpm.com/11.01/studioboard.shtml

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 01:16 AM

A quick question for anyone who has used one of these: Can you hold the command button before striking the desired shortcut key? For example, I will often close a few windows before deciding to quit a program, holding the command key all the while. I've heard that the keyboard requires simultaneous striking of combinations of keys for them to register properly.

Confirm or deny?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2005, 04:49 PM

OK, I just opened 5 finder windows, held down the command key, and hit "W" five times. each window closed in turn as expected.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 04:53 AM

Thanks! It looks like I'm sold. I just loved the feel of the Apple Extended Keyboard II, so I can't wait to try this one out.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

nerd
Senior User
Jan 30, 2005, 01:27 AM

Does the keyboard sound any different then the Extended one did? Any of you that have one have an iSight or something so you can record the sound of the keys?

I never thought the Extended keyboard was loud but all the complaints I've heard about the loudness worries me.

Brad

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2005, 03:46 AM

I have the matias now and used an old extended keyboard in my office till recently. I love the matias, but it's definitely louder and "clackier" than the old apple extended, which had a kind of muffled clicking.

OreoCookie
Jan 30, 2005, 06:46 AM

I don't have one yet, but the service is great. They offered me free shipping, because of repeated delays in the production of the German version

And when it comes out, I'll get it ... after all, with the dollar that low, it'll be really `cheap'

BTW, I got my brother one of the last IBM Model M keyboards for his birthday (which is today) and the difference to even good keyboards (e. g. Cherry) is astonishing!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2007, 02:02 PM

So, the ol' Model M's are, in your opinion, still a cut above the new Cherry keyswitch keyboards?

Forum Links
Forum Rules