Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Extremely disappointed with clickykeyboards.com

Extremely disappointed with clickykeyboards.com
mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2007, 08:41 AM

Just received my long-sought-after Model M space saver keyboard from clickykeyboards.com (~$130 + shipping) Website says they "carefully select, test, clean, and re-test all refurbished keyboards" before they make them available for sale. Apparently, mine did not get such treatment. Over half a dozen keys stick REALLY bad and several others simply will not register a key press. It's a disaster.

They DO have a 30 day return policy...however, I don't want to return it; I want it functional!

On the plus side, the keyboard LOOKS great cosmetically, so I am hoping I have some repair options available to me.

Has anyone here used Unicomp's keyboard repair service? $30 seems like a fair deal if they can truly make my new baby as good as new. (I'm in Iraq, so this is likely going to be a 3-4 week turnaround)

I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with both IBM model M keyboards and Unicomp. (One thing is for sure...I'm never giving IBM model M keyboards another dime)

Koralatov
Senior User
Aug 27, 2007, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by mavherzog View Post
Just received my long-sought-after Model M space saver keyboard from clickykeyboards.com (~$130 + shipping) Website says they "carefully select, test, clean, and re-test all refurbished keyboards" before they make them available for sale. Apparently, mine did not get such treatment. Over half a dozen keys stick REALLY bad and several others simply will not register a key press. It's a disaster.

They DO have a 30 day return policy...however, I don't want to return it; I want it functional!

On the plus side, the keyboard LOOKS great cosmetically, so I am hoping I have some repair options available to me.

Has anyone here used Unicomp's keyboard repair service? $30 seems like a fair deal if they can truly make my new baby as good as new. (I'm in Iraq, so this is likely going to be a 3-4 week turnaround)

I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with both IBM model M keyboards and Unicomp. (One thing is for sure...I'm never giving IBM model M keyboards another dime)
I'm glad I read your post. I've been eyeing a Model M for a while as a birthday present for my dad, and I had considered ClickyKeyboards.com to be a better bet than eBay. Obviously, that looks like it isn't the case. There really is no excuse for getting a keyboard in that kind of condition when they state on their site that they "carefully select, test, clean, and re-test all refurbished keyboards". Personally, I'd email them and kick up a fuss, and if they don't take it back and exchange it for one that actually meets their own criteria, demand a refund.

As an alternative to the Model M, you could try the Matias Tactile Pro 2. It gets pretty good reviews, and would actually be cheaper than your Model M. Also, it's slightly more attractive, though I'm not sure whether you consider that an issue or not.

Cold Warrior
Aug 28, 2007, 09:33 AM

Why would you pay $130 for a refurbished keyboard??

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Because non of the main stream manufactures has produced a decent keyboard since the early 90's
and the IBM model M is very mechanical with each key having a spring mec'.
They are not the mushy rubber dome crap sold with most PC's

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 11:46 AM

I called up Unicomp and spoke with Jim Owens. I inquired about having them repair my Model M mini. He said that it would be prohibitively expensive and that I'd be better off purchasing a new keyboard from them. I explained to him that I have a 84-key Model M "space saver" and that I did not believe they had a comparable keyboard for sale. To my delight, he said, "We used to sell those. Give me 24 hours to see if I can dig one up out of our warehouse."

I got an email from him the next day stating that he DID, indeed, find one and would be shipping it out to me in the morning ($59 + shippping). So, I decided to send the old one back to ClickyKeyboards.com for a refund.

The folks at clickykeyboards are refunding my money to INCLUDE the initial shipping costs. So, I'm just out the $7 it cost me to send it back. (not BAD!) I was pretty hard on them...in the end, they were understanding and very accommodating.

So, $125 for a used Model M mini from clickykeyboards compared to $59 for a NEW one from Unicomp.

I'll make sure and takes pics when I get it. I'm unsure if this is a Unicomp-branded keyboard that they made for a while or if it is unsold IBM or Lexmark stock...all I know is that it is a new keyboard and is, supposedly, 84-key, buckling-spring, and numpad-less. I'll keep you updated.
( Last edited by mavherzog; Aug 29, 2007 at 12:15 PM. )

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
My thoughts exactly, id want the keyboard to type itself for that money!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83
My thoughts exactly, id want the keyboard to type itself for that money!
I'd be interested in knowing what you keyboard of choice is.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2007, 06:34 PM

For a lot of people, the keyboard is one of the most important parts of a computer - the part that is in physical contact with them the most.

Cold Warrior
Aug 31, 2007, 06:38 PM

I used the new apple keyboard today -- the full one that comes with the new iMacs -- and was impressed with it. I'll buy one for myself at some point.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mavherzog View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what you keyboard of choice is.
The one thats on my MacBook usually!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2007, 12:15 AM

I totally understand it! I am so damned picky about my keyboards, and I have gone through several models looking for just the right one. Until recently, that was the Macally iceKey, and now it's the new Apple keyboards.

I have always been intrigued by the model M's, and I came very close to dropping the dough for a Matias Tactile Pro. $130 is chump change for a good keyboard, and now, even better to score the one you want for $60! Congrats.

svtcontour
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2007, 10:46 PM

My favorite keyboard on any Mac was the apple extended - the one like this one http://skylab.org/~chugga/pictures/forsale/kbd3.JPG

My favorite keyboards which I still use on my PCs are the Dell full sized keyboard http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair...uietWriter.jpg

and the IBM model M http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...0px-ModelM.jpg

I have three of the Dell keyboards and two of the IBM ones. I dont care if they are beige. I will never give them up. Heck even if PS/2 dissapears, I will find adapters for them to work. I'm set for the next 20 years or more LOL PS. I got the dell units for free from my last work and I picked up the IBM's brand new at a surplus place about 4 years ago for $2 each! I couldnt believe it. I would have purchased more but thats all they had left.

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2007, 11:07 PM

I love both the alps and cherry mechanical key switches and the buckling spring keyboards (ala the Model M's).

Has anyone used the SMK-88 Compact Mac keyboard? This has been dubbed the "Mac mini keyboard". It uses the Cherry mechanical switches and is supposed to be quite nice. (I can always appreciate a keyboard with no numpad)

mavherzog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2007, 05:46 AM

[ Click on the image for a larger view]

Here is the styrofoam packing.

Fresh from the box!

A blank inserted where the IBM logo used to go.

Note the date. Apparently assembled to order. (this is the date I spoke with Unicomp on the phone!)

I originally thought this was a spring or something. Turns out, it was a plastic shaving. (see next pic)

I'm a VERY happy camper. This made my day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules