Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Guitar Players - Advice Needed

Guitar Players - Advice Needed
alligator
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 04:13 PM

I have the opportunity to receive a (new) electric guitar as a gift in the near future. How I'll get it is another story that I won't go into here. Let's just say it's not something I ever expected to receive, and I'm on the fence about what to do.

Although I enjoy music, I don't know how to play the guitar, so lessons would be needed. I'm open to learning how to play. Is this something an adult can learn? If I don't like it, can I sell the guitar and get most of the value back? What kind of lessons do you recommend (individual vs. group)? If it helps, I'm 34 years old, and enjoy just about every kind of music imaginable.

Finally, since I'll get to pick it out, what brands do you recommend for a beginner? What other equipment do I have to pick up on my own?

Weezer
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 05:08 PM

I taught myself how to play, although I already knew how to read music and was a pretty good trumpet player. If you're motivated, and can figure out how to read tabs (it really isn't that hard), you could teach yourself most of it. I would start off just trying to get down the basic chords (G, C, E, etc).

Starting off, you will be terrible, your fingers will hurt, and you will not understand how anyone could possibly change between chords Once you start getting decent it might be worth it to take lessons, but I wouldn't pay someone at the initial stages, because you just gotta get through that initial stages of sucking.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2008, 05:54 PM

What kind? And yes, that matters to the answer.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 06:02 PM

What Weezer said. (Oddly enough I used to play trumpet and have now picked up the guitar, too)

I've been teaching myself on electric entirely by watching youtube guitar lessons and googling stuff I don't understand. Just keep at it, and pick a few songs you like and look up the tabs for them. It will be rewarding quickly as long as you focus on the stuff you do right, and get some basic technique down.

Electrics are a bit easier to start on just because it's easier (in general) to push down the strings and chords and still get a good, loud sound out of it.

If you're just getting the guitar, you'll need to buy an amp (just a small practice amp will do), a 1/4" guitar cable, probably a guitar strap, a tuner, stand, and a bunch of picks to see which kind you like best.

I just went to a couple local music stores and played around to find a guitar I liked. I don't know what kind of budget you're working with here, but mainly just pick a guitar you like the look and feel of. It just needs to be a guitar you want to pick up and play so you don't stop practicing. The staff of the music store will be your biggest help here, since there are so many variables to look into. There are lots of online guides for what to look for in a guitar.

If you decide to quit soon after you get it, I'm sure the value will stay high with a new guitar in good shape. Enjoy!
( Last edited by slpdLoad; Feb 15, 2008 at 06:17 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2008, 06:16 PM

I don't play the guitar, but I've been a student of music for a while now Anybody can learn to play an instrument. It's easiest to learn at a young age, but if you are able to dedicate time to practicing, you'll do just fine. I recommend individual lessons. I think it's an easier and more focused environment to learn in. Yes, you can always sell the guitar if you decide that it works for you. Since you seem to enjoy music, I imagine that you will enjoy it and do well. Just don't expect to sound like The Edge after two weeks!

One question: Do you have any musical experience before? Even a little knowledge, like being able to read music helps a lot. I learned how to sight read before ever picking up an instrument and it helped tremendously. You can learn a lot quicker.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2008, 06:19 PM

I will also add that I find electric a lot more fun because if you get a modeling amp, or some pedals, you can sound like anybody you want. A few presses of a button and you can go from a clean, blues style to death medal if you like.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2008, 07:40 PM

Lessons are utterly pointless if you're able to motive yourself. All you need is a copy of The Guitar Handbook.

Get a reasonably good guitar to start with - cheap stuff might just put you off learning. Something like the Ibanez S470 would be a good place to start.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Lessons are utterly pointless if you're able to motive yourself. All you need is a copy of The Guitar Handbook.

Get a reasonably good guitar to start with - cheap stuff might just put you off learning. Something like the Ibanez S470 would be a good place to start.
But then if you want to work on your technique (although I am not sure how relevant this is with an electrical guitar), lessons are priceless. Besides you will progress much faster with somebody who'll teach you the tricks and will be able to right away steer you away from bad habits. Learning the guitar can be frustrating at first, so it is nice to perceive some progress.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2008, 10:28 AM

I'm very self motivated, so that's not an issue. I also have several years of piano experience so I can read music. I'm looking forward to it, and I should be able to get everything in the next month or so.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
But then if you want to work on your technique (although I am not sure how relevant this is with an electrical guitar), lessons are priceless.
That phrase I highlighted above means either:

1) You're joking.

or

2) You have no clue.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and go for option 1. So: LOL.

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Besides you will progress much faster with somebody who'll teach you the tricks and will be able to right away steer you away from bad habits
The *only* bad habit with guitar is not practising enough. Everything else is your style, your voice. Of course, if you're planning to be a mindless automaton playing classical all the time (and thus copying other people's form), then this point could be relevant. But for electric, your "bad habits" are your style, your individuality.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I'm very self motivated, so that's not an issue. I also have several years of piano experience so I can read music. I'm looking forward to it, and I should be able to get everything in the next month or so.
Go for it dude!

Quick checklist:

Guitar. Something like an Ibanez S470 - this will last you way beyond your beginner's phase and into professional if you require. Also, it'll hold value if you decide to quit.

Strings. Go for something like Ernie Ball Super Slinky (9-42, pink pack). Get a couple of packs because you *are* going to break some.

Picks. Suggest a bunch of Jim Dunlop "Tortex", Jim Dunlop "Nylon" and some Fender "shell" picks.

Cable: Get a good one. George L's seem OK. $20 ish.

Practise amp: Here you're limited. Suggest something like a Fender G-Dec - it'll make practising a load of fun. Some modellers are reasonable - I've just bought a Vox Tonelab LE, which you could plug straight into your stereo/Mac. There's no getting around the fact that beginner's amps are usually crap.

Tuner: Boss is the industry standard. Peterson are the Rolls Royce. Anything should do to start out with really.

HTH. Welcome to the frat.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2008, 02:34 PM

That helps more than you know. I really appreciate the suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes on a couple months.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2008, 03:33 PM

What kind of guitar? Brand? Model?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
What kind of guitar? Brand? Model?
Ummm, RAIL me old fruit...

Finally, since I'll get to pick it out, what brands do you recommend for a beginner?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2008, 05:07 PM

Hm. My bad. "receive a (new) electric guitar as a gift" threw me off...

Heh.

Get a Reverend -- great beginner gits. Of course, I'd also recommend learning on an acoustic, then getting electric.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2008, 08:39 PM

Another question - should I purchase a specific model online, or should I try to buy it through my local music store? I'm in Minneapolis, and I think there's a couple of music stores and at least one "Guitar Center" nearby. On the other hand, I can pick a specific model online and know exactly what I'll be getting. Or are these chosen based on feel?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2008, 08:58 PM

Another question - should I purchase a specific model online, or should I try to buy it through my local music store? I'm in Minneapolis, and I think there's a couple of music stores and at least one "Guitar Center" nearby. On the other hand, I can pick a specific model online and know exactly what I'll be getting. Or are these chosen based on feel?
Go in and pick one based on feel. And then order it online if it's cheaper (as long as you have a guitarist friend handy to give it the once over to check for faults when it arrives). While you won't be able to play anything, you can see how well the neck fits in your hand - large handed players tend to prefer fat necks, while small handed folks tend to prefer skinny necks.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2008, 09:00 PM

What music do you like?
What guitars are used in that music?
Gibson, Fender, PRS, Ibanez are the big label brands.
Samick tends to manufacture very nicely made guitars, and sometimes mfrs for those big labels.
You can get a very well made guitar, and depending on what you buy, you'll very likely get money back out of it if you choose.

Me, I usually buy used. Anymore, I'm done with getting brand new instruments, I want something vintage, something that feels right in my hands, and makes the sound I want to hear. I have a Line6 Pod if I want to amp model, but mostly I like something straight through to the tube head that I have. Or the sound of a good acoustic. I'm a fan of the Tacoma acoustics, although I have enjoyed the more common labels as well.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2008, 10:53 PM

That phrase I highlighted above means either:

1) You're joking.

or

2) You have no clue.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and go for option 1. So: LOL.
no it was an honest question.

The *only* bad habit with guitar is not practising enough. Everything else is your style, your voice. Of course, if you're planning to be a mindless automaton playing classical all the time (and thus copying other people's form), then this point could be relevant. But for electric, your "bad habits" are your style, your individuality.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008, 09:31 PM

I am also starting lessons in a couple weeks. My 11 year old daughter and I are going to be taking them together, then, as our progress changes, we'll branch off on our own. We got her a Silvertone to start off with, and I got a Samick. I got both guitars, two beginner amps, soft cases, tuners, picks, straps, extra strings, and a free lesson for $290. I thought it was a good deal. A friend I've known since High School owns a music shop and will be giving us the lessons, I'm very excited. I'm 40 and have lusted to learn the electric guitar since I was 10, I'm finally doing it!

Tom

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008, 09:52 PM

I taught myself starting when I was 11, so if I can do it, anybody can. I can read music if I have to, but I learn mainly by ear or with tablature, and it all works out smoothly.

As for brands, I've had great luck with Ibanez electrics. I've had several different kinds of acoustics, but if you can afford it, Ovation, Martin or even Alvarez are all good brands.

Yes, an adult can learn to play guitar. If you have the motivation, you can do it.

As for getting money back if you're dissatisfied, it depends. Some retailers have return policies which you could use to take it back for, possibly, only a restocking fee. But, if you've had it for six months, they depreciate just like vehicles do (for the most part). An Ibanez you buy today won't fetch you it's entire amount of money back in six months or a year from anybody other than a third-party individual.

Hope this helps.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 11:20 PM

My advice:

If you're not really into it (which I sense you are not), then it will be very difficult foryou to learn because your motivation will not be there to do the monotonous practice.

Get a guitar and sell it or just ask for the cash...

BUT IF YOU feel the axe calling you... I think lessons are a good idea.Learning by yourself is very very difficult and especially if you lack experience playing any instrument.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2008, 11:24 PM

I agree with your "get a good guitar" to start but I disagree with the book part... to learn successfully from a book requires INCREDIBLE motivation. I suggest a DVD over a book if you want to go that route.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2008, 10:51 AM

Where do adults play? I assume not everyone starts or joins a band and plays at bars. As a kid, at least you have school concerts. Other than community groups, where do adults go to play in public?

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2008, 10:55 AM

Where do adults play? I assume not everyone starts or joins a band and plays at bars. As a kid, at least you have school concerts. Other than community groups, where do adults go to play in public?
It depends on where you live. Here, I play in a band in a bar which a friend owns, and we're all in our 30's. It's sort of a restaurant/bar combo, and we play there. Most everybody plays either in a coffee shop or a bar here. The bigger venues are for more "well-known" acts here.

There are some local "groups" which get together around here and play on certain nights of the week. I know there are a lot of bluegrass groups around here. But, since I play hard rock, I am sort of funneled into the bar scene more often than not.
the geek source

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2008, 12:02 PM

I'm selling one of my Revereds: my Metallic Alpine Green Revered Daredevil 290. As you can see in the pics, this guitar is as clean as you'll ever find -- no scratches, dings, dents, or anything. I'm letting it go to fund a computer purchase, since out of all my guitars, this P90 gets the least play.

Looks great, plays great, sports the sweet tremolo, and I'm including the gig bag.

$575 shipped and insured, CONUS. That's the guitar WITH tremolo and a Revered gig bag.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear View Post
My advice:

If you're not really into it (which I sense you are not), then it will be very difficult foryou to learn because your motivation will not be there to do the monotonous practice.

Get a guitar and sell it or just ask for the cash...

BUT IF YOU feel the axe calling you... I think lessons are a good idea.Learning by yourself is very very difficult and especially if you lack experience playing any instrument.
Totally, 150% disagree. It's all about how you learn. You can't blanket-comment that lessons are required and that teaching yourself is "very difficult." I've been playing for over 20 years, and I taught myself -- as did the majority of guitarists. Point being, you don't have to lessons to learn to play -- and depending on your learning style and what works best for your brain, you can easily teach yourself.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2008, 10:21 PM

Well, the store I visited today was completely unhelpful. They had about 500 guitars there, and the guy took all of five minutes to show me three guitars, nothing priced more than $150. I asked several questions, but my sense is that he didn't take me seriously and was more concerned with what his co-workers were doing. I think I'll keep looking.

I've heard good things about an Ibanez S470, but it appears to be discontinued. My local store didn't have any S models, so I couldn't feel the neck. Of course, at this point, everything feels fine.

Now here's the next question - whammy bar or not?

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2008, 11:34 PM

Now here's the next question - whammy bar or not?
Like most things with guitars, it depends. Personally, I have little use for a whammy bar. On all of the dozen or so guitars I've had, I've found that the ones with whammy bars were out of tune quite a bit more than the ones I've owned with stationary bridges.

Of the few songs I play which use vibrato from a whammy, I find that I can give it a string vibrato or something similar if I absolutely have to. Some cover songs just don't sound right without the deep whammy sound, but for those, I just don't do it "exactly" like the song.
the geek source

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2008, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
Like most things with guitars, it depends. Personally, I have little use for a whammy bar. On all of the dozen or so guitars I've had, I've found that the ones with whammy bars were out of tune quite a bit more than the ones I've owned with stationary bridges.
If you're playing an Ibanez locking trem and your plank goes out of tune, you need it set up properly. Period.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2008, 06:26 AM

I've heard good things about an Ibanez S470, but it appears to be discontinued. My local store didn't have any S models, so I couldn't feel the neck. Of course, at this point, everything feels fine.
OK, there's three things to look for when it comes to neck feel:

Width: Most electrics are pretty much the same here.

Depth (or thickness): Guitars will vary between a really skinny neck (i.e. an Ibanez RG) or a really chunky one. Which you go for all depends on your playing style (which, of course, at this moment you haven't got) and how big your hands are. Large hands will tire easily on skinny necks and small hands will feel overwhelmed by fat necks.

Radius: Fingerboards aren't flat - they have a radius on them (going across the strings, rather than up and down the neck). Imagine a point way behind the neck which is the centre of the circle... Obviously the further back from the neck the imaginary point is, the flatter the neck will be (because it's a smaller part of a larger circle). Most necks come in at between 9 and 12 inches. Rock guitars tend to come in at up to 16 inches (my own preference is nearly 17 inches, which you'll probably only see on an Ibanez RG). Basically, the flatter the radius, the more easy it is to bend strings for those wailing solos. Unfortunately, the flatter the radius the more effort you have to put into playing chords, which is why some manufacturers (like Jackson) are now making compound radius necks - 16" at the body end, 10" at the head end. Best of both worlds. But for your purposes, this is moot.

Both depth and radius will have a major effect on the feel of the guitar and somewhat dictate the style you fall into. A lot of sloppy rock and blues players tend to play with their thumb nearly hooked over the board, for which a fat neck with small radius is probably best. I prefer the "official" classical position, which is with the thumb firmly planted on the back of the neck between the second and third strings - hence my preference for skinny necks and 17" radius.

The S is a good compromise between the two. It's flatter than a Strat but with about the same depth. Strats and Les Pauls feel to me to be "old" and "underperforming" - like picking up a log which someone's just sawn - although obviously work for a lot of people else they wouldn't still sell them. Mustang vs Ferrari, I guess.

Check the necks section of Warmoth to see some differences in neck shapes. And then, armed with that information, trust me when I say an Ibanez S will suit you.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2008, 04:34 PM

I'm actually much more a fan of the 1970s Ibanez, when they were copying Gibson, but with style.

Warmoth has been making compound radius necks for years.

The other thing to look at is neck scale. Most use a fret scale of 25in, but Gibsons tend to use a 24in scale. This means a shorter neck overall. There are also thinner width necks with a closer string spacing. These sorts of things are useful to know, and may be more comfortable depending on your hand size.

By way of illustration, Roy Orbison had tiny hands, could not reach the whole width of the fingerboard, and used a Gibson es-335 because it had a neck that was as comfortable as he could find.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2008, 09:51 PM

If you're playing an Ibanez locking trem and your plank goes out of tune, you need it set up properly. Period.
It's difficult to "set it up properly" whenever the screws strip out of the lock after only a few tunings. I've had two Ibanez sets go out like that. It's just more difficult to keep replacing them.

But, I've had other brands be out of tune more often with tremelos vs. stationary bridges (Washburn, for example). The best guitar I've owned, however, had a stationary bridge: Ibanez SZ320MH. I shouldn't have ever gotten rid of that one.
( Last edited by harbinger75; Feb 19, 2008 at 09:58 PM. )
the geek source

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2008, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
It's difficult to "set it up properly" whenever the screws strip out of the lock after only a few tunings. I've had two Ibanez sets go out like that. It's just more difficult to keep replacing them.
Bizarre. I've got 7 RG550s and none of them have ever done anything like that. And they don't go out of tune either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules