Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Remote version of OS X

Remote version of OS X
alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2011, 11:00 PM

My father is having a very, very hard time with his Mac. He's managed to corrupt both his address book and iCal so bad that even Apple support can't help him. I'm considering buying a Mac Mini server to see if I can somehow allow him to "remote" into the Mac Mini server from a stripped down Mac at his house to run OS X. This way I can keep the OS up to date, make sure it is backed up, and keep it running right with all the correct updates.

Is this possible? I want to control as much as possible on his machine without allowing him to mess things up any further. Any ideas?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2011, 11:09 PM

Yes. You can set up an OS X Server with NetBoot and use his Mac as a terminal. However, that won't protect him from corrupting his files (however he's doing that.)

I think your best solution is to buy a very large hard drive and make regular backups. Possibly, several hard drives and swap them out. Do a backup on one HDD only once a month, one weekly, and the other is backed up daily. That's what I do at work.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ibook_steve
Jan 24, 2011, 11:21 PM

I hope you don't have him with an administrator account. I don't know how he may be corrupting things, but I would think that setting his account as a regular user instead of an admin would help.

Heck, you could even enable parental controls!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2011, 11:24 PM

If you were to run a Mac Mini server from your house, chances are unless you have a really fast connection that accessing it would be noticeably and annoying slow.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 25, 2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If you were to run a Mac Mini server from your house, chances are unless you have a really fast connection that accessing it would be noticeably and annoying slow.
Yeah, even if you were able to get Netboot to work, it would be effectively unusable over the internet. Your best bet is, as ibook_steve suggested, is to have him not run as an administrator. However, since nobody knows what happened to his Address Book and iCal, I think the best bet is to get Time Machine configured on his computer. As unlikely as it is, there's no certainty it isn't a hardware issue causing data loss.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2011, 10:02 AM

If it were me, I would get mobileme accounts for myself and my dad. Then I would set up Time Machine for him.

Using Back To My Mac, you can remote in over the Internet and monitor his Mac if he's having problems. Time Machine would make it trivial to restore corruption.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2011, 10:24 PM

Actually, I do use Time Machine with his computer, and he has MobileMe. All of the backups of the address book and calendar are corrupt in Time Machine, and his computer refuses to sync with MobileMe (under this specific user account) due to the corrupt data. I hate having to tell him that I have no idea how he messed up his computer so much, but at this point I'm also at a loss for how to fix it (as is Apple support!).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2011, 10:38 PM

Hmmm. Maybe some of his RAM is faulty.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 1, 2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Hmmm. Maybe some of his RAM is faulty.
Yeah, I'd certainly suspect a hardware issue if there is random corrupt data. Try the Apple hardware diagnostics.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2011, 01:09 PM

Or memtest86 if the Apple hardware diagnostics don't include thorough RAM checking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules