Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Chapters and iDVD

Chapters and iDVD
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 01:00 PM

So, I got DVD Studio Pro, and Final Cut, and iDVD.

Well, great as DVD Studio Pro is, sometimes it is nice to not spend hours making a DVD. But the only thing stopping me from using iDVD is setting up chapters...

Can I add markers to an exported .mov in Final Cut Pro, so that I will get chapters in iDVD? Or am I just dreaming?

Hydra
Senior User
Aug 26, 2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
So, I got DVD Studio Pro, and Final Cut, and iDVD.

Well, great as DVD Studio Pro is, sometimes it is nice to not spend hours making a DVD. But the only thing stopping me from using iDVD is setting up chapters...

Can I add markers to an exported .mov in Final Cut Pro, so that I will get chapters in iDVD? Or am I just dreaming?
You're dreaming (as well as I) , the marker export feature in FCP is only for DVD Studio Pro 1.5 because iDVD can't do chapters. I wish you could do chapters in iDVD but you can't. I hope this changes in the next version but I fear Apple is holding this feature back to prevent hurting sales of DVDSP

I really think chapters would instantly make iDVD the best iApp ever but as it stands I love iDVD anyway and my PC friends are jealous. On a side note a friend of mine is dumping his SONY VAIO 2.2GHz P4 with a a superdrive for a new G4 tower because he can only burn 1 out of 5 DVD-r's and with no moving menus or ease of use that iDVD has. He saw FCP and iDVD on my dual 800 and couldn't believe how smooth compared to his P4 running Premiere which crashes for him all the time.

-Jerry C

11011001  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 05:05 PM

Sigh, oh well. This is good. I was going to rack my brains over this problem...

For small quick things I guess iDVD isn't that bad.

And yup, I agree. Final Cut Pro is awesome, as is DVD Studio Pro, I might even say the same for iDVD if it had a bit more control, like how much compression to use, or chapters.

Oi. Windows is horrible, I realize this more and more everyday. It crashes way to much, even XP and 2000, they have horrible driver issues...

Apple put a lot of heart and soul into Final Cut and DVD Studio pro, and it shows. They are amazing apps... I like em way more than Premiere.

Macs rule.

dmoore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2002, 08:04 PM

You know, this is something that puzzles. I love the iApps and I love things being free and all, but I've never figured out how their being free gives Apple an incentive to improve them. Once Apple can legitimately boast that their machines ship with a free MP3 player, a free Movie editor, a free digital photo editor, and a free DVD authoring tool, they really don't have any financial reason to allocate lots of programmers to add features to them.

I believe the iApps will start to follow the QuickTime player model. Everybody gets the QuickTime player for free -- and it constantly gets improved. However, for those who want additional functionality there's QuickTime Pro. $30 for features that I want is a good deal. And there's no bitching from the people who didn't want those extra features because they are forced to pay for them. (Personally, I'd like to see QuickTime Pro go up to $50 or $60 and have them add a timeline editor, a wired sprites editor, and lots more options for exporting and encoding)

Along those lines, I'd like to see an iDVD Pro for $30 - $40. It would add the ability to have a movie launch on startup instead of the menu, it would add chapter stops, and a pre-scripted "Play All" button. This would allow me to use iDVD for a lot things without having to go to DVD Studio Pro.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2002, 09:54 PM

well, their reason to improve the iApps comes from competition. The Windows world will no doubt try to catch up and put out similar apps. Apple needs to stay ahead to have the best apps so that it can continue to make them a big feature in doing what it must to survive: sell hardware.

apple wouldn't do so hot if it relied on software (as good as their software is). the iApps are part of the reason people switch. If those apps suck, then switching won't be as compelling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules