Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Workgroup file control system/sharing

Workgroup file control system/sharing
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 10:34 PM

I am looking for a program for sharing a file among multiple users on a network. The users should be able to check the file out, edit it, and check it back in.

This way, a file can be edited and one won't run into the problem where a file is edited at the same time, and people end up with two slightly different versions of the file.

I have been searching version tracker and the internet for such an application, but I have no idea what the buzzword is for such a thing.

Does anyone here know?

and can anyone suggest a program that can do this?

(we are talking about sharing and modifying a single excel file among multiple people, and I am looking for something similar to Dreamweaver's check in/out system).

geekwagon
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 11:13 PM

They are called version management systems. One of the oldest and most popular is CVS. I have used several, including MS SourceSafe (which sucks) and Rational Clearcase (which sucks.)

I've never seen one that I really like. They are always oriented at programmers and sysadmins and not at general office workers. That said, I think I do remember seeing that the new Adobe CS suite includes an app that will do what you want. Not sure if they sell it seperately though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules